Draft 2016 - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 22.03.2016, 12:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
You've certainly made the argument to pick him. That's for sure.

The general consensus is that you shouldn't pick a RB that early unless you know he's going to be the next AP. That running backs can easily be located in the later rounds who can do a job for your team.

That being said if Elliott can bring all that to our offense, then you could certainly justify selecting him at Round 1. As you say with Murray in our backfield our offense clicked. If we can rediscover that with Elliott then great, a bigger boost for our offence.

Maybe we'll have a new "3-headed monster". Elliott, McFadden and Morris instead of Barber, Jones and Choice.

I'd say our defence needs more assistance though. Would still lean to picking there in Round 1.
The other caveat I forgot to add is if we cam move the chains consistently on offence then the Defence don't see the field as much. So he helps both sides of the football really! Saying that he isn't Barry Sanders so we shouldn't expect miracles if he's selected.

At the moment I feel like we'll go 1) DE (Bosa) 2) CB 3) RB 4) Best Player Available.
Sponsored Links
Old 22.03.2016, 07:08 PM
All Pro

Still think Bosa? despite signing Vernon and the other guy Benson, i just get the feeling it will be mix n match again nxt season on the D line, to me Bosa is kind of inbetween OLB and DE i think he would be a fit in 3-4 as OLB like a L Taylor?
Old 22.03.2016, 07:39 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Still think Bosa? despite signing Vernon and the other guy Benson, i just get the feeling it will be mix n match again nxt season on the D line, to me Bosa is kind of inbetween OLB and DE i think he would be a fit in 3-4 as OLB like a L Taylor?
If you look at the Draft in isolation, depth wise, then Bosa makes sense in terms of available talent. However, the recent additions in Free Agency are slowly ticking off some 'needs'.

I think signing Morris, a guy who has almost 5,000 yards in the NFL might exclude Elliott from the conversation. There is still a chance they could take him, after all Darren McFadden is in the final year of his contract. That said next years RB class could be (is) ridiculous - Dalvin Cook (FSU), Leonard Fournette (LSU), Christian McCaffrey (Stanford), Nick Chubb (Georgia), Royce Freeman (Oregon), Samaje Perrine (Oklahoma), Elijah Hood (N.Carolina) - 7 guys who could go in the first round, and a couple who could go top 10. You have to look at the future too, and if you want a RB maybe you know you'll get a very good one next year instead.

Bosa's best fit is LDE in a 4-3. I know some teams have tried him out at OLB, but imo he's better with his hand on the ground. There aren't too many (if any) LT's around either.

Maybe they take Goff? Imagine if you take Goff this year and sit him behind Romo. Then next year you come back and find one of those RB's in the first round? You'd have 4/5's of the O line, your franchise QB, and your franchise RB, all under the age of 25!!!

Whoever they pick at #4 there will be ways, sound ways, to justify it. If they trade back and pick up a 2017 1st round pick that could be justified too. it won't be the first time Jerry has moved back for picks in future drafts either.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 22.03.2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 22.03.2016, 09:34 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
If you look at the Draft in isolation, depth wise, then Bosa makes sense in terms of available talent. However, the recent additions in Free Agency are slowly ticking off some 'needs'.

I think signing Morris, a guy who has almost 5,000 yards in the NFL might exclude Elliott from the conversation. There is still a chance they could take him, after all Darren McFadden is in the final year of his contract. That said next years RB class could be (is) ridiculous - Dalvin Cook (FSU), Leonard Fournette (LSU), Christian McCaffrey (Stanford), Nick Chubb (Georgia), Royce Freeman (Oregon), Samaje Perrine (Oklahoma), Elijah Hood (N.Carolina) - 7 guys who could go in the first round, and a couple who could go top 10. You have to look at the future too, and if you want a RB maybe you know you'll get a very good one next year instead.

Bosa's best fit is LDE in a 4-3. I know some teams have tried him out at OLB, but imo he's better with his hand on the ground. There aren't too many (if any) LT's around either.

Maybe they take Goff? Imagine if you take Goff this year and sit him behind Romo. Then next year you come back and find one of those RB's in the first round? You'd have 4/5's of the O line, your franchise QB, and your franchise RB, all under the age of 25!!!

Whoever they pick at #4 there will be ways, sound ways, to justify it. If they trade back and pick up a 2017 1st round pick that could be justified too. it won't be the first time Jerry has moved back for picks in future drafts either.
Speaking of picking QB's. There's an article on NFL from Mayock today saying we should pick Carson Wentz at 4.

Reading the article it makes sense. We aren't planning to be picking so high in future drafts so why not get our QB of the future now? He's highly rated, would get to sit behind Romo and be ready to start in a few years when Romo leaves the game.

The main snag in this plan is Wentz will probably already be gone at Number 2 to Cleveland. That would mean looking at Goff, who again wouldn't be a bad option to sit behind Romo.

Garrett did say during the Combine that there were no plans to meet or visit Wentz, so whether they don't feel he'd be there at 4 or are just not interested who knows.
Old 22.03.2016, 10:02 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Speaking of picking QB's. There's an article on NFL from Mayock today saying we should pick Carson Wentz at 4.

Reading the article it makes sense. We aren't planning to be picking so high in future drafts so why not get our QB of the future now? He's highly rated, would get to sit behind Romo and be ready to start in a few years when Romo leaves the game.

The main snag in this plan is Wentz will probably already be gone at Number 2 to Cleveland. That would mean looking at Goff, who again wouldn't be a bad option to sit behind Romo.

Garrett did say during the Combine that there were no plans to meet or visit Wentz, so whether they don't feel he'd be there at 4 or are just not interested who knows.
I prefer Goff to Wentz. The argument of 'we won't be picking this high again.......' is nice but I don't think they should just take the best QB they can for fear they'll never have a shot at another. Goff or Wentz won't be the last QB's to enter the draft. Who is to say the 3rd or 4th best QB next year isn't better than Goff or Wentz?

The argument to that is Goff or Wentz will be a year further on than any rookie QB you select in 2017. The same applies to picking up a QB later in the draft this year. If you want to sit your rookie QB for a year then you HAVE to draft one either this year or next.

The discussion then becomes 'what does the 2016 QB class look like compared to 2017?' Now you can never look too far ahead, college players get injured or fail to live up the current hype all the time. That said, if I feel next years QB class has more talent than this years I wait.

Long story short, if Goff or Wentz is your highest rated player (or very close) when you are on the clock then pick them. If they are 5th, 6th or 7th then don't draft them because you feel you to. In some ways this year is perfect, you don't have to pick a QB in the 1st round (might not be the case next year!) but if you do you can come back at #34 and find a starter on defence. After all pick 34 is more or less a 1st round pick anyway.
Old 23.03.2016, 04:08 PM
Pro

Quote:
I prefer Goff to Wentz. The argument of 'we won't be picking this high again.......' is nice but I don't think they should just take the best QB they can for fear they'll never have a shot at another. Goff or Wentz won't be the last QB's to enter the draft. Who is to say the 3rd or 4th best QB next year isn't better than Goff or Wentz?

The argument to that is Goff or Wentz will be a year further on than any rookie QB you select in 2017. The same applies to picking up a QB later in the draft this year. If you want to sit your rookie QB for a year then you HAVE to draft one either this year or next.

The discussion then becomes 'what does the 2016 QB class look like compared to 2017?' Now you can never look too far ahead, college players get injured or fail to live up the current hype all the time. That said, if I feel next years QB class has more talent than this years I wait.

Long story short, if Goff or Wentz is your highest rated player (or very close) when you are on the clock then pick them. If they are 5th, 6th or 7th then don't draft them because you feel you to. In some ways this year is perfect, you don't have to pick a QB in the 1st round (might not be the case next year!) but if you do you can come back at #34 and find a starter on defence. After all pick 34 is more or less a 1st round pick anyway.
That's the thing. You don't know how good a QB is going to be. Late round QB's (Brady, Wilson) have shown you can find talent in the later rounds whilst there are plenty out there that have been drafted early in Round 1 that have not been able to make the transition to the NFL.

So if you don't take QB at 4 you're looking at guys like Lynch or Cook. But will they have already gone by then? Can't imagine one will get past Denver with their QB needs for example.

You can't really underestimate the difficulty of a GM's job during the draft. Watching tape, relying on scout reports etc to make a pick that you need to work to improve your standing, your reputation and your team.

In terms of need, it seems obvious we have to pick a DB and a DL. We can certainly do that with the first couple of picks we hold. But on the other hand we could pick an RB that would vastly improve our ground game or our future QB.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 23.03.2016, 04:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's the thing. You don't know how good a QB is going to be. Late round QB's (Brady, Wilson) have shown you can find talent in the later rounds whilst there are plenty out there that have been drafted early in Round 1 that have not been able to make the transition to the NFL.

So if you don't take QB at 4 you're looking at guys like Lynch or Cook. But will they have already gone by then? Can't imagine one will get past Denver with their QB needs for example.

You can't really underestimate the difficulty of a GM's job during the draft. Watching tape, relying on scout reports etc to make a pick that you need to work to improve your standing, your reputation and your team.

In terms of need, it seems obvious we have to pick a DB and a DL. We can certainly do that with the first couple of picks we hold. But on the other hand we could pick an RB that would vastly improve our ground game or our future QB.

Decisions, decisions.
The thing is you can make a case for finding players early in the draft or late, but history tends to point to taking QB's early. Yes you get the Romo's and Brady's of this world but most franchise guys are 1st round picks. Personally, you either take one at #4 or you take one late, don't bother in the middle rounds (I know R.Wilson was a mid round guy but there aren't too many others). You either luck out on a guy in the later rounds or you pick up a guy with exceptional QB talent early.

I was looking at the number of D lineman we had on the roster in Week 1 last season - 10. Week 17 we had 8. So I'd say 9 is the number you are looking at to start the season. They've just added Benson Mayowa on a 3 year/$8.25 deal, so you'd think he makes the roster. Perhaps DL isn't as bigger issue as we thought if some players can show potential?

I just don't see how the Cowboys can 'mess this up' to be honest. Now I'm sure other teams picking in the top 5 have felt that way before too but it seems whoever they pick will help in some way, shape or form.
Old 24.03.2016, 11:00 AM
Hall of Fame

Gil Brandt put together a ranking of top 5 picks since 2012

20.Justin Blackmon, WR
Dion Jordan, LB
Trent Richardson, RB
Dante Folwer, LB/DE
Brandon Scherff, OG
Greg Robinson, OT
Matt Kalil, OT
RG III, QB
Luke Joeckel, OT
Jadaveon Clowney, LB/DE
Eric Fisher, OT
Lane Johnson, OT
Jamies Winston, QB
Marcus Mariota, QB
Amari Cooper, WR
Sammy Watkins, WR
Blake Bortles, QB
Ziggy Ansah, DE
Khalil Mack, LB/DE
1.Andrew Luck, QB

The top half of that list has to scare anyone picking in the top 5 this year. It's way too early to 'grade' some of the guys on that list (Fowler, Scherff, etc.) but it looks almost 50/50 when it comes to perceived success.

Interestingly most of the QB's have turned out well. even RGIII had his moments before injury kicked in. On the flip side would you want to take an OT in the top 5?!

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 24.03.2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 24.03.2016, 04:16 PM
Pro

Quote:
Gil Brandt put together a ranking of top 5 picks since 2012

20.Justin Blackmon, WR
Dion Jordan, LB
Trent Richardson, RB
Dante Folwer, LB/DE
Brandon Scherff, OG
Greg Robinson, OT
Matt Kalil, OT
RG III, QB
Luke Joeckel, OT
Jadaveon Clowney, LB/DE
Eric Fisher, OT
Lane Johnson, OT
Jamies Winston, QB
Marcus Mariota, QB
Amari Cooper, WR
Sammy Watkins, WR
Blake Bortles, QB
Ziggy Ansah, DE
Khalil Mack, LB/DE
1.Andrew Luck, QB

The top half of that list has to scare anyone picking in the top 5 this year. It's way too early to 'grade' some of the guys on that list (Fowler, Scherff, etc.) but it looks almost 50/50 when it comes to perceived success.

Interestingly most of the QB's have turned out well. even RGIII had his moments before injury kicked in. On the flip side would you want to take an OT in the top 5?!
For the Cowboys? No. One of the strongest parts of the team. In general? Again not really. Can't think of too many offensive linemen that have been spectacular being picked that early. Fisher, Joeckel and Kalil are only middle of the table in that ranking and none can really called a top OL in the league. As mentioned you can't determine with Scherff yet.

As for the QB's. Again you can't really say Winston and Mariota have been successes after one season but you can see the potential. Obviously if we did go QB the benefit for them is they get to sit behind Romo and learn for a few years which should help their development.
Old 24.03.2016, 04:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
For the Cowboys? No. One of the strongest parts of the team. In general? Again not really. Can't think of too many offensive linemen that have been spectacular being picked that early. Fisher, Joeckel and Kalil are only middle of the table in that ranking and none can really called a top OL in the league. As mentioned you can't determine with Scherff yet.

As for the QB's. Again you can't really say Winston and Mariota have been successes after one season but you can see the potential. Obviously if we did go QB the benefit for them is they get to sit behind Romo and learn for a few years which should help their development.
Yeah, hard to see Tunsil being the pick. It was more a general point about linemen not panning out in the top 5.

I'm on board with a QB at #4. The more I look at this draft, and the more I look at the Cowboys roster, the less I'm convinced about a DE at #4. I think the Browns will take Tunsil or Ramsey, they don't have the pieces in place for a rookie QB.

Tags
draft 2016 , nfluk