Draft 2016 - Page 7 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 01.04.2016, 07:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
It's been said before but the Cowboys really can't mess up with this pick.

A wealth of options on both offence and defence. It all depends on the Jones's philosophy.

I wouldn't mind any of those players. Any one of them would improve the team one way or another.
Totally agree, it's just the fact because 'it's no.4' you want the best of that bunch of players.

If they get a multiple Pro Bowler out of this pick then everyone is happy.

The one thing that makes me wonder about them going Bosa is recent history. Since 2010, 6 drafts, the Cowboys have invested 3 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick on the O line. On the other hand they've 'only' used 2 2nd round picks and a 3rd on the D line.

It seems their philosophy has been to build the lines, so that suggests it's time they invested a 1st round pick to building the D line.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.04.2016, 12:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Draft visit week this week. 30 visits allowed. Here's the names so far apparently:

Joey Bosa, DE
Tyler Boyd, WR
Jacoby Brissett, QB
Ryan Brown, DE
Deforest Buckner, DE
Connor Cook, QB
Kenyon Drake, RB
Ezekiel Elliott, RB
Jared Goff, QB
Christian Hackenberg, QB
Vernon Hargreaves III, CB
Derrick Henry, RB
Karl Joseph, S
Shaq Lawson, DE
Paxton Lynch, QB
Robert Nkemdiche, DT
Paul Perkins, RB
C.J. Posise, RB
Jalen Ramsey, S
Sheldon Rankins, DT
Laquan Treadwell, WR
Carson Wentz, QB

No surprises really, bar Ryan Brown who admittedly I'd never heard of until I researched the list of names.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 05.04.2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03.04.2016, 07:28 PM
All Pro

Thats the man then!
Old 04.04.2016, 07:54 PM
Starter

For me its either Wentz (first choice) or Goff at #4.

The experts I respect in the NFL world seem to agree with this.

The only other option I would like to see is us to trade down and pick up a first for next year and look at a QB then.

I remember a few years back the Steelers had a rare bad year and had a high pick. What did they do draft Big Ben!
Old 04.04.2016, 09:02 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicman View Post
For me its either Wentz (first choice) or Goff at #4.

The experts I respect in the NFL world seem to agree with this.

The only other option I would like to see is us to trade down and pick up a first for next year and look at a QB then.

I remember a few years back the Steelers had a rare bad year and had a high pick. What did they do draft Big Ben!
It would certainly give the franchise long-term direction if they took a QB at 4. If they don't, and they don't find one in the later rounds either, then it'll just cast a growing shadow over every draft until they do i.e. 2017 or 2018.
Old 07.04.2016, 03:27 PM
Hall of Fame

If anyone is interested here's what came from my Cowboys picks in the 7 round mock draft that has been going on over the last few weeks:

1.4 Ezekiel Elliott, RB
1.23 Mackensie Alexander, CB
2.23 Jonathan Bullard, DL
4.37 Joe Dahl, OL
6.37 Michael Thomas, WR
6.41 Cody Kessler, QB
6.42 Daniel Braverman, WR
7.23 Ryan Smith, CB

Traded up twice. Sent the Vikings 2.3 + 3.4 for 1.23 + 4.23 + 6.5 and took Alexander. Then traded with the Vikings again, sending 4.3 + 4.23 + 6.5 + 6.14 in exchange for 2.23 +7.23 in order to grab Bullard.

Elliott is the 'safe' pick but is also one of the best players in the draft. I want to see what this line can do with a great runner. When we know that we can put the 'any runner can run behind this line' discussion to bed once and for all

We need corners, and I think the Alexander pick was a response to my interest in Vernon Hargreaves III. I tend to like 5'11 corners rather than the taller guys, they seem to move better in short areas on tape and they don't allow as much separation off the snap. I also tend to steer clear of brash players with attitude..............yet I picked Alexander!?

The draft has very few RDE's. It lacks explosive speed guys off the edge. Bullard is similar to Tyrone Crawford, but he has one of the better first steps on film. He's more of a LDE/DT, which we have a lot of, but we needed some pass rush help from somewhere. Had an eye on a guy in the 4th round but he ended up going to Detroit.

Dahl might be an OT, he could be a center, but he moves well so hopefully he can become that utility O lineman we need.

Really think the 6th round picks were put to good use. Whilst defence is the major need adding 2 more WR's to the mix makes that corps look a lot better. Quite a few QB's available at the end of the 6h round, it's a deep class this year, and Kessler probably has the best track record, even if he doesn't have the best physical traits. Might not have the arm Romo had but I see some similar things in Kessler.

Ryan Smith is 'insurance' if Alexander isn't, as he proclaimed, the best corner in the draft.

The last thing, jerry signed Morris not long after I picked Elliott. Then he signed Mayowa....not long after I drafted Bullard. Guess what?.....then he signed Looney not long after I drafted Dahl! You can't be affected by what happens in the real world after the mock starts, but i'll admit things might have played out differently if all those moves were in place before the mock kicked off.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 07.04.2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09.04.2016, 07:56 PM
Hall of Fame

I see Tony Pauline at draftinsiders has 'sources' close to the Cowboys Draft Board apparently ().

He's reporting Jalen Ramsey is no.1 on their board and Carson Wentz is in the top 3. Apparently they've 'come off of' Joey Bosa but are 'very high' on Ezekiel Elliott. So that looks like Ramsey 1, Zeke 2, Wentz 3 to me.

He also said the Cowboys have 'inquired on moving up to the top spot'.

All 'Chinese whispers' I'm guessing. If they did want to move up, which I can't see or understand, then it can only be for Wentz or Ramsey.

Another thing too, all this talk of trading back to a team that wants a QB? Why would someone look to trade with the Cowboys who have an interest in a QB too? Surely they'd go to San Diego at 3? The only people who the Cowboys will be trade partners for is Tunsil, a player they don't really need. The Jags and Ravens could both use him, but then so could the Chargers. It just looks like the Cowboys are in a bad spot to trade this year because of the needs of the teams around them and the available talent in the draft.
Old 09.04.2016, 08:32 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I see Tony Pauline at draftinsiders has 'sources' close to the Cowboys Draft Board apparently ().

He's reporting Jalen Ramsey is no.1 on their board and Carson Wentz is in the top 3. Apparently they've 'come off of' Joey Bosa but are 'very high' on Ezekiel Elliott. So that looks like Ramsey 1, Zeke 2, Wentz 3 to me.

He also said the Cowboys have 'inquired on moving up to the top spot'.

All 'Chinese whispers' I'm guessing. If they did want to move up, which I can't see or understand, then it can only be for Wentz or Ramsey.

Another thing too, all this talk of trading back to a team that wants a QB? Why would someone look to trade with the Cowboys who have an interest in a QB too? Surely they'd go to San Diego at 3? The only people who the Cowboys will be trade partners for is Tunsil, a player they don't really need. The Jags and Ravens could both use him, but then so could the Chargers. It just looks like the Cowboys are in a bad spot to trade this year because of the needs of the teams around them and the available talent in the draft.
I'd rather not trade anyway. Just stay at 4 and pick whoever's still available that was on the Cowboys Draft Board.

The only team that I can see picking Ramsey before he gets to 4 is the Chargers. Tunsil seems to be cemented as the 1 pick and Cleveland surely have to pick one of the QB's. The Chargers would certainly be in a position to select Ramsey and think they would do.

If that happened think I'd prefer QB or Elliott to Bosa. Elliott's a talent who should succeed behind our O-line and Wentz/Goff would be a good QB to sit behind Romo and become the potential QB of the future.
Old 09.04.2016, 08:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'd rather not trade anyway. Just stay at 4 and pick whoever's still available that was on the Cowboys Draft Board.

The only team that I can see picking Ramsey before he gets to 4 is the Chargers. Tunsil seems to be cemented as the 1 pick and Cleveland surely have to pick one of the QB's. The Chargers would certainly be in a position to select Ramsey and think they would do.

If that happened think I'd prefer QB or Elliott to Bosa. Elliott's a talent who should succeed behind our O-line and Wentz/Goff would be a good QB to sit behind Romo and become the potential QB of the future.
If they like a QB at 4 then I think they should take one. Even if they traded back and got a future 1st round pick they might end up having to package that and their own pick to trade up for a QB in 2017 anyway. I'd sooner they take Goff at 4 and get him in the system asap. That would be the biggest decision of all taken care of for the next 3+ years.

The Browns are meant to be 'doing this by the numbers' now with analytics guys on board. I'd guess that points towards a QB at 2, although perhaps Ramsey's athleticism might sway them?

The Chargers seem to be DE, Tunsil or Ramsey. If Ramsey and Tunsil come off the board I think they'd be fielding phone calls.
Old 09.04.2016, 08:59 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
If they like a QB at 4 then I think they should take one. Even if they traded back and got a future 1st round pick they might end up having to package that and their own pick to trade up for a QB in 2017 anyway. I'd sooner they take Goff at 4 and get him in the system asap. That would be the biggest decision of all taken care of for the next 3+ years.

The Browns are meant to be 'doing this by the numbers' now with analytics guys on board. I'd guess that points towards a QB at 2, although perhaps Ramsey's athleticism might sway them?

The Chargers seem to be DE, Tunsil or Ramsey. If Ramsey and Tunsil come off the board I think they'd be fielding phone calls.
They certainly would, not least by us? How much would it cost to move one spot?

If Wentz and Goff were both available I think we'd be interested in moving to 3, unless Goff is the one who Dallas want because I think Wentz is going first so they'd still get Goff at 4.

Cleveland surely picks QB at 2 though. I know they've swung and missed multiple times with 1st round QB's but seriously its the most important position in the game. Very rarely you become a winning franchise without a good QB so Cleveland have to believe their man is in this draft.

Ramsey might be No.1 on the Cowboys board but he just won't be there. The closer it gets the more you feel QB is the right choice.

Tags
draft 2016 , nfluk