What's the problem with Twickenham? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 15.12.2016, 06:46 PM
Rookie

Default What's the problem with Twickenham?

Hello,

New poster, Raiders fan, never been to a live game before- but that will change in 2017! So, whats the deal with twickers? Get the impression there are travel and access issues. Some folk suggesting they will avoid this venue and just go to Wembley. But, I'd like to see the Cards. What you guys think?
Cheers,
Jim.
Sponsored Links
Old 15.12.2016, 07:37 PM
Pro Bowler

Personally, i say dont be put off by some of negative opinions, but do some research for yourself.
Look into whether you will stay a night in London.
Depending on where you live and how you plan on travelling to the game may pose some greater difficulties than getting to Wembley eg. lesser frequency of trains.

From my own point of view I didnt have any issue with Twickenham and did not feel it was greatly inferior to Wembley, aside from the wide enclosed concourses that Wembley has (not that i use them).
My mates found it colder than Wembley as the roof line is much lower and so the wind whips round a bit.

Have you been to Wembley for other events? It can sometimes be easier to compare Twickenham to another stadium for certain things.
If you have any questions feel free to ask though.
Old 15.12.2016, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Your best bet would be to read the whole argument in the Twickenham markedly inferior to Wembley thread. I think it really does depend on what you want from the game, your height, where you live, if you drink, and a host of other factors. But if I really wanted to see the Cards I'd go to Twickenham. I didn't like the place, but everything else is secondary to seeing the team you follow.
Old 15.12.2016, 08:22 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your comments, useful to garner opinion. Will check out that other thread.
Cannot wait for IS 2017!
Old 15.12.2016, 08:49 PM
Starter

The Twickenham stadium is quite a dirty dump compared to most stadiums nowadays. Also, the transportation options compared to Wembley are very poor and too infrequent.

HOWEVER !

Don't let that put you off from going as there is no substitute to seeing a game live. Hopefully the game/games won't disappoint. Enjoy !
Old 15.12.2016, 08:54 PM
All Pro

To me, it boils down to the stadium being a bit of a pain to get to (slow train service with a minimum 10 minutes (nearer 15 for most people) walk at the end) - and away from (Shuttle buses to central london alleviate some of the crush, but you'll probably have a long wait if using the train from Twickenham station).

Most of the other moans you can adapt to, (just like Rugby fans do) simply by doing a bit of advance research (I guess the same is true of the transport links to some extent).

I'm sure NFLUK will also tweak a few things about the gameday organisation next year to improve on this year's "first attempt" - which, IMHO, wasn't as bad as many people make out.

Last edited by BigTone; 15.12.2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 15.12.2016, 08:58 PM
Rookie

I think a big factor in my decision will be kick off times at both venues. I'm a teacher, so can't take days off work therefore an overnight stay is not an option. I'm based in Norwich, so will arrive via Liverpool Street. Could be tricky, Twickers especially.

Having said that, I do have a half term beginning on the 23rd October.........game day before that. That's one! Want to get to a couple of games if I can. Will need to research parking and train options as others have suggested.
Cheers,
Jim.
Old 15.12.2016, 11:46 PM
Rookie

Absolutely nothing wrong with Twickenham, not sure if others have been spoiled by Wembley but an away fan going to grounds all over Europe as a football fan all is well. Yes there is traveling involved to central London but not traumatic... certainly nothing like the drama it's made out to be...it's an world class stadium and I'm looking forward to the games in October
Old 16.12.2016, 10:38 AM
Pro

There were definitely issues at Twickenham. Every stadium has it's issues though.

So whilst some people say it was fine, that is subjective and depends on what you will and won't tolerate and how much you're willing to pay for the experience.

For me, the main issues were:

1. Transportation - it was much more difficult and time consuming to reach Twickenham then Wembley, especially getting out back to the trains.

2. Gameday organisation - very restrictive 'fan zone', blocked from some areas and the security didn't know why, bag checks, little open space and general lack of freedom which is now enjoyed at Wembley with their open fan zone area. The whole area and set up just felt a lot less professional then Wembley.

3. Seating - the rows are closer together, so for many people their knees will touch the seats in front, which also makes getting up to let people out a pain.

4. it's an older and open stadium, so the concourse is exposed to the elements. Not an issue to me but if a cold day, i can see why that might put off some travellers.

All in all, it's not close to the standard of wembley (imo) and i'd only put up with the negatives if it was a matchup i really wanted to see.

Just personal experiences, but the transport and seating is a widely noted issue from attendees at the first Twickenham game. Whilst they can look to improve transportation and gameday organisation, they can't fix the seats
Old 16.12.2016, 11:06 AM
Pro Bowler

Nothing wrong with the stadium, people are just fussy and don't like change.

I found the Twickenham experience more chilled and laid back. But I was watching my team so apart from a defeat nothing was going to spoil my day.

I'll try and do one game at Wembley and one at Twickers next year.