PHINS FANS OPINIONS! - Page 2747 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Miami Dolphins

Sponsored Links

Old 31.12.2015, 01:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN RUN RICKY View Post
Absolutely do NOT want Chip Kelly in Miami. His fast-paced college system which he brought to Philly has quickly faded and the lack of success this year is not a surprise. It's the type of play which may bring some instant success (just as we had with the Wildcat) but talented teams quickly adapt to it and it fades away.

Above all though, Chip Kelly has shown poor leadership and command of the locker room. His management and handling of players have been recurring stories in the media and Miami doesn't need any more of that mess.

Teams which will be successful with any consistency comprise of a well-managed roster of talented and committed players. The past couple of seasons clearly show that the Dolphins need to be totally rebuilt in many areas for this to happen - we can't just sign the most costly FA out there and expect it to work, the depth and talent level on the team is just too poor as a result of bad drafting, bad player management and a total lack of talent at many starting positions (LG, RG, RT, CB, FS, LB, DT).

For me, what the Dolphins truly need at Head Coach is someone who is a leader and can get the full respect of the locker room (like Dan Campbell) with some experience. He then needs to be given sufficient time, probably 5-6 years to fully build this roster from the ground up around Tannehill and Suh, acknowledging that there will most likely be 3-4 difficult years ahead before any real progress is made.

I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic, but I really can't see this team getting much better in just 1-2 seasons. It's going to be a long process but I wonder whether the next regime will be given enough time to let it play out before it's all knocked down again.

3 more days until the Dolphins' season is over... It almost feels worse than our 1-15 season!
Just have to look at the 2013 draft as an example of how a poor draft affects us.

First rounder Dion Jordan has been either injured or suspended since his time in Miami. He is scheduled to come back this offseason but is likely to be bombed.

Second round pick Jamar Taylor has regressed and has been benched as of late and its rumoured he will be going this offseason.

3rd round picks Dallas Thomas has played significant time but has been underwhelming to say the least and Will Davis has been traded away.

Jeleni Jenkins has been the best pick of the draft and is a starter for us at LB and Dion Sims, selected in round 5, is our reserve TE.

The final 3 picks (Gilleslee, Sturgis and Jones) are all gone.

Every selection made the roster at the start of that season. After this season only one player (Jenkins) is likely to stay a starter though he is not exactly a world beater at this point. Sims will stay on the roster and Thomas will be lucky to go another go.

We can't keep whiffing on picks. We need to draft guys that can contribute at a high level.
Sponsored Links
Old 31.12.2015, 02:37 PM
Team Captain

Yeah, I completely agree. The quality of drafting for the Dolphins for about the past 10 years has been dreadful.

It has without doubt been the biggest obstacle in the development of the team and the depth of the roster. The problem is they've tried to plug the leaks too often in free agency and now the whole ship is sinking.

Some pieces are definitely salvageable. Behind a good O-Line, with Miller, Ajayi, Parker and Landry our offense could actually be pretty special. It'll take a couple of seasons and some great drafting to fix, but it can be done.

Our D on the other hand is a total mess. Other than Suh and Jones, everyone else is bad, injured, or has been playing poorly.

Our pass D needs to give up just 1 more TD to grab the title of 'worst in franchise history', allowing QBs an average passer rating of 100+...
Old 31.12.2015, 07:01 PM
Team Captain

Send a message via MSN to mawhis

Interesting reading on the background to Chip Kelly's firing here:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ower-structure

Sounds like Philly could be even more dysfunctional than Miami! If the stuff in this article is true, it makes me a lot more comfortable with the thought of hiring Chip - sounds like he basically bailed, rather than work with Roseman.

Happy New Year All
Old 31.12.2015, 11:07 PM
Team Captain

So don't get me wrong or abosultely get me right....

But am i the only one who saw the writing on the wall the moment Ross signed a certain D lineman to provide an instant( exrtremely expensive...futile as everyone who had an IQ above 10) cure agianst a flagging D-fence could dream of. Am i (and i know i'm not) just exremely drunk and fed up of short term, false economy sick and tired of going around the same old merry go round until we get an Owner, GM, HC who knows what the Fu~@K they are talking about until we see some stability and common sense football!! or is it just a very pissed me?
Old 01.01.2016, 02:37 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfan1uk View Post
So don't get me wrong or abosultely get me right....

But am i the only one who saw the writing on the wall the moment Ross signed a certain D lineman to provide an instant( exrtremely expensive...futile as everyone who had an IQ above 10) cure agianst a flagging D-fence could dream of. Am i (and i know i'm not) just exremely drunk and fed up of short term, false economy sick and tired of going around the same old merry go round until we get an Owner, GM, HC who knows what the Fu~@K they are talking about until we see some stability and common sense football!! or is it just a very pissed me?
I suppose first off its a good thing that our owner/FO is aggressive in pursuing top free agents. I like it!! Its not the way to build a team but it should be the icing on the cake and the move to take us to the next step.

The flipside is the commitment on the salary cap that these moves have. It ties up a tonne of money which then has an impact on the rest of the roster. Certain positions have been weak over a period of time and their hope was that this one big impact player would have a positive outcome on the rest of the unit. Obviously this has not worked and those weak spots are still as they were but now we have money tied up elsewhere and therefore probably cant do as much of an overhaul as we would like.

Cant disagree with your sentiments. We've been down the same path numerous times and are no closer to challenging for Superbowls.
Old 02.01.2016, 09:54 AM
Hall of Fame

Denis Hickey reportedly starting to clear his desk.

Which confirms what we all knew when Tannenbaum was first hired
Old 02.01.2016, 01:55 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Denis Hickey reportedly starting to clear his desk.

Which confirms what we all knew when Tannenbaum was first hired
Tannenbaum supposedly not going to take over as GM directly though (They didn't conduct a Rooney Rule interview when they hired him, so could end up in hot water).

Chris Grier is being talked about as a potential replacement from within the organisation, but its also possible that they'll let the next Head Coach pick a GM, which might make the HC job seem more attractive.

But you're certainly right that Hickey has been obviously gone for a while. He hasn't appeared in team publicity pieces all season.
Old 02.01.2016, 03:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawhis View Post
Tannenbaum supposedly not going to take over as GM directly though (They didn't conduct a Rooney Rule interview when they hired him, so could end up in hot water).

Chris Grier is being talked about as a potential replacement from within the organisation, but its also possible that they'll let the next Head Coach pick a GM, which might make the HC job seem more attractive.

But you're certainly right that Hickey has been obviously gone for a while. He hasn't appeared in team publicity pieces all season.
Not sure I'd want a holdover from the current scouting network as the new GM which is what we would have in Grier. Its not a part of the organisation that has really hit the heights in the last few years

Tannenbaum's presence is the real issue. With Ross an all too often absent owner, Tannenbaum becomes the de facto owner when the boss is out of town. Its a muddled mess of people of below average CV's and abilities.
Old 02.01.2016, 06:45 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Not sure I'd want a holdover from the current scouting network as the new GM which is what we would have in Grier. Its not a part of the organisation that has really hit the heights in the last few years

Tannenbaum's presence is the real issue. With Ross an all too often absent owner, Tannenbaum becomes the de facto owner when the boss is out of town. Its a muddled mess of people of below average CV's and abilities.
I'm more optimistic on Tannenbaum than before. He used to be a coaches agent, so I'm hoping that that experience will lead to a better hire.

The problem in previous years was that Ross refused to clear house, so the top tier coaches didn't know the people they were being asked to work with and didn't understand the structure. Ross has identified good coaches before, his problem has been getting them to sign.

Tannenbaum will understand what coaches are looking for in an organisation, having been on the other side of the table, and he's very well known through the league (e.g. Hue Jackson was a client of his, during his time as an agent). If a potential Hc is given the opportunity to appoint his own GM once Hickey is fired, I think that Miami could be a quite attractive Job opportunity for once.

That's the optimistic view anyway
Old 02.01.2016, 10:10 PM
MVP

Hickey can consider himself unlucky to be on his way out. His 2014 draft bought in an above average starting RT (James) and an young star WR (Landry). Both are key contributors on the offense. Billy Turner started at guard though it hasn't worked out. Maybe he could develop under a new coaching regime. Fede, Hazell and Aikens all provide depth on the roster.

His 2015 draft has not provided any starters as of yet but Parker showed glimpses of his ability and Phillips has had some game time and recorded a couple of sacks. Ajayi has shown talent in his limited role. McCain, Lippett and Douglas have all played to varying degrees but the fact that all the rookies made the roster says a lot about his talent spotting or it says the quality of the veterans isn't up to much.

I'd be happy for him to stay but the writing has been on the wall since Tannenbaum's appointment. His drafting has put young talented players on the roster but that ability has failed to appear during the season and that speaks poorly of the coaching and thus hence why most of them have subsequently been fired. Hickey is associated with those failings and will be fired, if the reports are accurate, but I would consider him unfortunate.