Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 324 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Sponsored Links

Old 13.11.2009, 12:28 PM
Starter

Jay Cutler is the future of the organisation. They have bet the house on him for the medium to long term and we need a coach who can discipline him. You would think with the magnificent Offensive mind in Denver with Shanahan he would be more disciplined in the Red Zone. One thing though, we and he clearly has lost faith with the run. We run the ball on the first two downs vs the Niners a couple of yards out and on third go Play Action which was obvious. We need better play calling.

Lovie has to go and I'm sad to say it. He is a good coach but has lost the control he once had. Jon Gruden as a personality would put manners on some of the ill discipline in that locker room and help Cutler too. One thing though if we get and offensive minded HC, the defense is a mess and he needs to be able to have a guy who can run the D.

Im gonna post more thoughts later, so pissed right now.
Sponsored Links
Old 13.11.2009, 12:37 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbasemeant View Post
Jay Cutler is the future of the organisation. They have bet the house on him for the medium to long term and we need a coach who can discipline him. You would think with the magnificent Offensive mind in Denver with Shanahan he would be more disciplined in the Red Zone. One thing though, we and he clearly has lost faith with the run. We run the ball on the first two downs vs the Niners a couple of yards out and on third go Play Action which was obvious. We need better play calling.

Lovie has to go and I'm sad to say it. He is a good coach but has lost the control he once had. Jon Gruden as a personality would put manners on some of the ill discipline in that locker room and help Cutler too. One thing though if we get and offensive minded HC, the defense is a mess and he needs to be able to have a guy who can run the D.

Im gonna post more thoughts later, so pissed right now.
Exactly what I have been saying.
Old 13.11.2009, 12:45 PM
Pro Bowler

Im still trying to come to terms with 5 turnovers & losing to the Niners.
Friday the 13th.....the 12th was a nightmare.
Old 13.11.2009, 03:21 PM
Starter

At least the D picked up it's game...I can forgive a couple of offside penalties, if they're not at crucial moments if it means they show some commitment like they did last night.

The O line stinks...rubbish snaps, defence running through them, poor run and pass blocking.....

Cutler....bench him for a week...make him realise that that throwing down the middle into triple coverage isn't acceptable. A couple of his picks were unlucky, slips and the refs getting in the way but the rest were just dumb throws under pressure. Bad decision making is the worst thing a QB can do.

Interceptasaurus Rex could do for us what Cutler is doing right now...and would have saved a BUNCH of draft picks.
Old 13.11.2009, 03:52 PM
All Pro

It was a good sign that the D came out and played well from start to finish. I think that puts the lie to Lovie losing the team. If you want to look on the bright side, Cutler had a total mare and we still nearly won. To be -4 in turnovers and still be a short completion away from winning the game isn't so bad. Add to that the short week, a west coast night game...

Having said that, it's still a disaster. It's maddening to finally have a good quarterback at exactly the same time as every other part of the team goes to s**t, and not to have any draft picks to fix it in the immediate future. It looks like all the gambles Angelo took on new OLs failed. Forte looks alright to me when there's a hole, it's just that there aren't many.

I've been more disappointed in the Bears than I am now. The year after the Superbowl season I really thought we'd be better, that Rex would sort his problems out, that Benson would be a success, and then it all went backwards. This year I thought we'd be 10-6 and competitive, but we're falling short of that. Just get a team around Cutler before he gets disillusioned, please.
Old 13.11.2009, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not ready to say it's all Lovie's fault I think he has done a good job with a very over-rated group of players in terms of talent during his tenure.

I would sack Angelo, Ron Turner, Bob Babich no question but Lovie, I'm not sure just yet. If there is a top notch replacement hen fair enough - I personally would love to see Mike Holmgrem get hold of Cutler it would be interesting to say the least. But a Gruden or someone like that? No thanks.

The issue facing the Bears is where to start. The D has players on the downside of their careers and no young stars to be the fulcrum of the D. Meanwhile, the offensive line needs a complete overhaul and we still have no decent receivers. On top of that I felt last year we need another top RB and his year has shown how true that is. We need someone with an extreme either speed or power. I would have loved Rashad Jennings but it didn't happen.

In my view we HAVE to move Williams to LT. He cannot be worse than Pace and we must determine whether he is the LT of the future because it has to be priority #1. Morevoer, we need to see if Omiyale can play at RT given the cash we have tied up in him. Beekman is young so he's worth giving some time to.

I have no hope at receiver barring a smart FA pick-up. Knox might be a good #3 in his career and Hester a good #2 but that's it. Olsen must work on his hands....

The D is more worriesome because it's all downhill from here. Afalava looks a good find, Roach could play OLB for a number of years but beyond those I see nothing coming through. Bowman? I have doubts about. Harrison? Cannot tackle. Anderson? Same as Harrison and likely gone at the end of the year. Gaines Adams? Show us something, anything I haven't seen any evidence.
Old 13.11.2009, 05:30 PM
All Pro

I think Angelo has to go. He has put us in an awful situation. The D is going to crumble.

Ron Turner is just useless. I gave him 3games to get used to having Cutler. He is still clueless.

I don't like Mark Anderson, he had a decent start but prances around whenever he gets a tackle thinking he is king.

As Olig mentioned, Williams needs to play LT. I have to say i am not too convinced and think he looks a bit weak, even for LT but we drafted him to play LT and everyone knew he was nothing but a LT.. I want to see Beekman at centre, Kreutz has got worse and worse this season.

I am worried about Gaines Adams, i would have liked a vet who we gave a 2nd round draft pick to have done something by now...

I am also unsure about the Lovie situation. I only what a superstar coach to replace him. (Gruden isn't one)No point replacing him sub-standard guy. However, the team is a mess and ill disiplined. Lovie needs to sort that out.
Old 13.11.2009, 06:25 PM
All Pro

im shock still after last night......its easy to say jay is at fought but slips , bad snaps , o-line ,running game , play calling........I could go on....what now???
Old 13.11.2009, 08:37 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamthief View Post
At least the D picked up it's game...I can forgive a couple of offside penalties, if they're not at crucial moments if it means they show some commitment like they did last night.

The O line stinks...rubbish snaps, defence running through them, poor run and pass blocking.....

Cutler....bench him for a week...make him realise that that throwing down the middle into triple coverage isn't acceptable. A couple of his picks were unlucky, slips and the refs getting in the way but the rest were just dumb throws under pressure. Bad decision making is the worst thing a QB can do.

Interceptasaurus Rex could do for us what Cutler is doing right now...and would have saved a BUNCH of draft picks.
Be careful there, if you want to keep Cutler then you must make sure you don't upset him. Oh and if you fire Lovie - be sure that you run the new HC appointment past Jay - He can get a little fragile over things like that, better yet employ Shanny, he's from the windy city if i'm not mistaken.
Old 14.11.2009, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshire_bronco View Post
Be careful there, if you want to keep Cutler then you must make sure you don't upset him. Oh and if you fire Lovie - be sure that you run the new HC appointment past Jay - He can get a little fragile over things like that, better yet employ Shanny, he's from the windy city if i'm not mistaken.

The entire notion of benching Cutler is foolish and frankly suggests whomever suggests it is not watching our games.

Whie Jay has certainly not done as well as we would have liked it is as much to do with the quality of the players around him as anything else. Cutler's willingness to do whatever it takes to win regardless of stats makes him appear worse than he is. As much as i don't buy the Favre comparisons I think that is where the similarities lie. The two don't care if they have had 20 picks in a game they try to make a play as opposed to check it down - I like that.

In fact on the QB thing it always makes me laugh how people assume that the QB is the issue. How many QBs have the Bears had? Endless. Despite all of the grief I got for it from many Bears fans I still believe Rex Grossman will be a good QB when he gets a chance and Kyle Orton has done well in Denver, limited but efficient. however, none of those guys had a prayer because of the fact that we have never had enough offensive talent. The best receiver we have had in recent memory is Bernard Berrian who is a one trick pony and has been eclipsed by Percy Harvin. Sadly that lack of talent has got worse since Ruben Brown, John Tait, Olin Kreutz have declined with age/retired. Our offence is as bad as it ever has been in recent years it really is. Cutler is a potential superstar but he'd probably fair better in Oakland/Detroit/St Louis' offence right now I'm not exaggerating - put it this way I would take Louis Murphy in heartbeat right now.