Gaines Adams - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Sponsored Links

Old 19.11.2009, 10:12 PM
Rookie

Default Gaines Adams

What was the point in trading away another 2010 draft pick for this guy when we don't even play him? He was picked 4th in 2007 ahead of AP for goodness sake and although different positions someone at Tampa must have rated him!! My concern is that it is obvious the Bears need to re-build on both sides of the ball with the exception of QB, RB and TE. How are we going to do this without any strong picks in the early rounds of the draft and Angelo's history in free-agency i.e non-existent? I'm really worried about the future of our ball club. Both him and Lovie seem reluctant to introduce our recent picks (where's Iglesias, Melton, Gilbert?). Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 20.11.2009, 12:35 AM
All Pro

Meltons on IR
Old 20.11.2009, 01:29 AM
All Pro

Iggy is doing the Bennett route. He had an offseason much like Bennetts aswell. He clearly won't ever be a number one type guy but hopefully will be able to slot in next year. Melton and Gilbert were both projects.

I am worried aswell. Some guys are going to need to step up if we are going to have a chance for the next couple of years.
Old 20.11.2009, 08:36 AM
Pro Bowler

I suppose the thinking was Gaines knows the Bears D already as its a Tampa MkII.
The decision wouldn't have been Lovies, ultimately Angelo makes the personel decisions including trading draft picks for players that don't start!
Old 20.11.2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I understand your concerns and I think there is a big risk attatched to this deal, one which I think does not favour Chicago.

Yet there are two sides to every coin and I think there were good reasons why Chicago made the deal it is just a question of whther you think they are good ones.

The argument for: Lovie believes in coaching and fundamentals. I think he sees players as having the talent they are scouted to have and it is down to character, coaching and scheme suitability to make them play up to that ability.

In the case of Adams he was universally agreed to have elite level potential coming out of college. He has shown that he posseses that sort of pass rushing ability but only in small inconsiistent flashes. He is a pure speed rusher which fits our scheme, he doesn't appear to have character issues and we have Rod Maarinelli who many regard as the best d-line coach in the NFL.

In the mind of the Bears I think they are thinking that any second round pick would be simply potential in the same way that Adams represents potential. Adams' potential is greater than that of a second round pick at DE, and any such pick is likely a lesser fit for our scheme.

I guess the plan is to get Adams up to speed over the summer and hope that he can be coached into becoming a Dwight Freeney type of player. He will never be a good run stopper but he does have pass rushing ability. As it stands he seems to only have the one move (to the outside) and he needs to become more physical on the inside which, coaching should help.

The argument against: Adams has shown little consistency in his time with Tampa despite the scheme and coaching being of a good standard. Why would Chicago be able to do more given the two teams relative track records with pass rushers.

Also, I think this move suggests that Lovie and Angelo are both over confident that they will be with the team next year. Adams is a Tampa-2 DE and is a guy who requires time and coaching. It is quite possible his role will become redundent if the coaches are fired and a new scheme employed. Morevoer, that second round pick is then wasted.

Finally, given the age of the defence and the abysmal o-line play would that second round pick have been spent on a DE? We invested heavily in our passing offence by adding Cutler and we must protect that investment by providing him tools to succeed by improving at OT and WR the second round pick we sent to Tampa could have been better used to help here. We must commit to passing the ball othwerwise the move for Cutler is pointless.

Summary: I think the idea in principle is a good one but I think we gave up too much for a guy who will not have an effect this season, and would likely have been cut/trade bait this summer. I think an off-season trade for a second day pick would have been better and a realistic possibility given that the Bucs are rebuilding.

I can see what the Bears are doing, they are investing in the most important area of our team the D-line. If you cannot get a pass rush from your front four the cover-2 is a waste of time. Adding Marinelli is supposed to help us get more from the guys on the line. Then they added Giilbert as the potential successor for Tommie Harris in the penetrating DT role. They then took Adams as the future edge rusher to replace Ogunleye, whom I think is gone in the summer.

I can see the plan but is it a good one? I'm not sure either player will meet their perceived potential but I suppose Lovie willl always believe in his coaching - he has to.

Last edited by olig23; 20.11.2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 20.11.2009, 09:23 PM
Rookie

Unhappy Gaines Adams

Good post Olig and I agree with most of your points. The one thing I would love to see the Bears do in the offseason is start to use free agency for upgrading some of our weaker positions or trade-up in the draft to give Cutler some genuine weapons. I agree that Iglesias is probably in development phase but I would use FA to grab a true number one wide-out, let Devin continue to develop as a number 2 and have true back-up in Earl B, Johnny K and Iglesias. Look at the Saints this season - receivers by committee or what? So you can never have too many.

Do you think Brandon Marshall would be worth a punt in FA or even a trade-up in the draft for someone like Jordan Shipley at Texas?

The O and D Lines definitely need attention but I just think if we have invested so heavily in Cutler at QB we must have true vision and give him what he wants. I'm getting a little tired of his media sound-bites like "I'm happy with what we have" or "they're still young and learning the positions". I don't want to sound like I'm dissing our receiving core but I do genuinely think this is just more than Cutler's growing pains in Chi-town!
Old 20.11.2009, 11:33 PM
All Pro

We'll have to be active in FA because we have **** all in the way of draft picks.

Denver can keep marshall too much of a liability with off the field crap
Old 21.11.2009, 06:59 PM
Pro

Adams was rotten in Tampa. Probably had 2-3 good games. The Bucs definitely got the better deal.

I wish the guy all the best in Chicago, but i'm not surprised he's not got into the team yet.
Old 27.11.2009, 02:47 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post
We'll have to be active in FA because we have **** all in the way of draft picks.

Denver can keep marshall too much of a liability with off the field crap

Lovie on Adams : "sometimes,talented players need a change of scenery.I know Rod is excited to work with him,and we're glad to put him in a good group of defensive linemam that we already have in place"

JA: 'we would never get a guy like this in the second round.Lovie echoed that,as did our scouts who did him.We all felt very strongly about that"

I dont see Adams doing much this season,but IMO he will take of next yaer.
Old 06.12.2009, 05:08 PM
All Pro

Uninjured inactive today against the Rams, so he's not in the best 53 players on a 4-7 team who can't stop anybody.

We gave up a 2nd rounder for this guy?

Last edited by Jonny73; 06.12.2009 at 05:13 PM.