Off-Season imporvements - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Sponsored Links

Old 18.12.2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Default Off-Season imporvements

This season is over so the focus must turn to improving.

My question is simple where do we go from here in FA and the Draft and which players?

On the subject of FA I think we can forget Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson the top WRs on the market they will almostt certainly resign imo. We have little to trade with so it is going too e about being smart and spotting our opportunities.

Two guys who I think are good slot guys (which we need) are Josh Redd and Jason Avant. Neither are Brandon Marshall or Reggie Wayne but they are both quietly effective and have good hands and that is what we need. There is also a chance the giants let Domanik Hixon walk given their dearth of receivers. He could potentially do what Eddie Royal did with Cutler by being good in small areas and having solid hands. I know these are not nmaes people want but I would rather that than do what Seattle did by throwing money at over-hyped rubbish like Houshmandzadeh.

I also think it will be interesting to see what happens with Aaron Kampman in Green Bay. He is not happy in the 3-4 and despite his age he is aa great 4-3 end.
Sponsored Links
Old 18.12.2009, 01:52 PM
All Pro

On Kampman, it’s a very interesting situation indeed. I’ve said in the Packers thread that for a variety of reasons, I think Kampman is done in Green Bay.

Franchising Kampman for about $10m is an option I expect the team to pass on. Don’t get me wrong, he was far from a disaster in the new defence but I’m surprised that he hasn’t transitioned better. I think there will probably be a new long term offer from the Packers but I suspect it will not match what the player is looking for.

So you go to free agency.

There’s no sense in the player doing a below market deal at the start of FA. Why do that when he can wait and take a fair deal when he’s recuperated? From a team’s point of view, signing him for top dollar a couple of months removed from surgery when the details of his rehab will probably not all be clear is very risky. You have to remember that there’s a high chance that Kampman will not be cleared for contact for the start of training camp and will probably be feeling his way early in the season. So in terms of OTAs, that’s all out of the window anyway. Maybe someone will just pay him, but there’s a chance they won’t.

So I see things dragging on, the player might well go unsigned for quite some time. Around the middle of July, there is a little known option the Packers might try to utilise if Kampman is still unsigned. They can tender him at 110% of his 2009 salary to keep him for next season. If he were still to be unsigned at this stage, I think the team would want to keep him around.

And maybe Kampman would be OK with that. But the likelihood is that date will be the thing that ups the ante in terms of getting him signed.

I think he’s probably done in GB, it just depends on who the other suitors are. I could see him taking a 1 year deal with the Packers if no-one is offering top money.

I have been quite impressed with Chicago’s receiving corps, I think you have some talent. If Iglesias comes on next year that would mitigate the need for a FA receiver. I think what you need is (a) some quality offensive coaching and (b) the best OL free agents you can get. If nothing else, you need to add depth and competition so you aren’t scratching your heads next November wondering whether Omiyale and Pace really might be among your best 5 linemen…
Old 19.12.2009, 04:26 AM
All Pro

get a head coach that can ******* coach,would be a vast imporvement..
Old 19.12.2009, 01:15 PM
Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown!'s Avatar
Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown! Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown! is offline
Pro Bowler

With Cutler, Forte, Olsen, Knox & Aromashodu I think we've a young, potentially great basis for offence but we need to fix the line before we can tell. Defensively we need a few years of good building I'm afraid.
Old 19.12.2009, 08:49 PM
All Pro

I'll give ya they're young anyway.

Cutler needs to stop turning the ball over but ya can see the potential there.
Forte is nothing special he's a 4 yard per carry guy nothin more
Olsen is far to soft for the position
Knox has shown flashes & i like him
Aromashodu lets give him more than 1 good game before declaring him even potentialy great, terry Obee had one good game under Wanny
Old 19.12.2009, 08:57 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post

Aromashodu lets give him more than 1 good game before declaring him even potentialy great, terry Obee had one good game under Wanny

totally agree Flea.

Forte has lost a it some how..I do like Bell,but I cant see him staying.
Cutler is good when given the time to make a pass.
Old 11.01.2010, 12:16 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post

All good points however the first thing is to get/build a good brickwall o-line, then and only then can we see how good our "weapons" are!
Old 11.01.2010, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think we all agree that the o-line is prioirty #1. Chris Williams showed enough for me down the stretch that we should start him at LT next season. We badly need a road grading RT I just think we should have given Omiyale a shot there. If we can sort out the tackles I could live with Beekman, Kreutz and Garza along the middle. In a dream scenario we would get a RG too but the WRs are an issue and the secondary needs some work.
Old 14.01.2010, 09:52 PM
All Pro

having a bloody pick would be nice.....FA will be our best bet and a few players moved around but not a massive change this year....2011 lads and playoffs...
Old 16.01.2010, 02:20 PM
All Pro

I see Mike Tice has been hired as the new O-Line coach.