Tommie Harris - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.01.2010, 04:27 PM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default Tommie Harris

Simple: Is he done?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 19.01.2010, 06:22 PM
Coombser's Avatar
Coombser Coombser is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 09.09.2008
Posts: 891
Default

Simple: Done - No. Unmotivated and underperforming? - Yes.

It's not that he's lost a significant amount of ability physically - he's just not getting it done.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.01.2010, 03:37 AM
AdiBear's Avatar
AdiBear AdiBear is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.04.2004
Posts: 1,788
Default

maybe we could trade him for a good draft pick..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.01.2010, 11:36 AM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

My problem was that for long periods this season Harris was supposed to be healthy and he did nothing his pass rush was none existant all season and while he was banged up at times I don't really think it is an excuse because there was not a single game I felt he met expectations. He had one or two eye catching plays against the run but given the contract he is on I think it is nowhere near good enough.

Injuries are the obvious cause of all this but they show no signs of abating and we have to be smart and think about what we are getting for our investment. I always hope he will be able to get back to anywhere close to his best but I just don't see it happening.

It would be interesting to see what people would trade for him but I don't think NFL teams are stupid, at least not those who run a Tampa-2 scheme which is where he would have to land. I cannot see us getting anything of value for him, especially with his large contract. In the end I think this may prove a decent time to cut him, while there is no cap hit in doing so and we free up lots of space for much needed additions.

Also, I think Isrreal Idonije has got better and better is the role of pass rusher to the point where he warrants a shot at being the starter. You could take him out on obvious running downs and use the addition of big guy in those situations.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.01.2010, 04:06 PM
dj stevie c's Avatar
dj stevie c dj stevie c is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 16.09.2007
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
My problem was that for long periods this season Harris was supposed to be healthy and he did nothing his pass rush was none existant all season and while he was banged up at times I don't really think it is an excuse because there was not a single game I felt he met expectations. He had one or two eye catching plays against the run but given the contract he is on I think it is nowhere near good enough.
Agree 100%

He's such a source of frustration, Harris should've stepped up and become the defensive leader when Urlacher went down, instead we had excuses, and a couple of flashes of brilliance coupled with abject apathy.

It's a shame as he's a fantastic player when he really wants to be. But it seems he just doesn't want to be.

Quote:
Injuries are the obvious cause of all this but they show no signs of abating and we have to be smart and think about what we are getting for our investment. I always hope he will be able to get back to anywhere close to his best but I just don't see it happening.
Is it injuries now? or are they just a good excuse? As you said above he seemed to be healthy a lot of the time but he just wasn't getting it done, plus the little daft spats he had really didn't help.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what people would trade for him but I don't think NFL teams are stupid, at least not those who run a Tampa-2 scheme which is where he would have to land. I cannot see us getting anything of value for him, especially with his large contract. In the end I think this may prove a decent time to cut him, while there is no cap hit in doing so and we free up lots of space for much needed additions.

Also, I think Isrreal Idonije has got better and better is the role of pass rusher to the point where he warrants a shot at being the starter. You could take him out on obvious running downs and use the addition of big guy in those situations.
Idonije is a good player. I'd love to see someone like Peko join us, he's a pretty dominating DT with a nose for big plays, he's not the best pass rusher in the world but he's better than what we have. Doubt he'd be available or if we'd even think about making a move for him, but I like him as a player.

I think we could still get a fair bit out of trading Harris. But a Harris with a big kick up the backside could still be an asset.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27.01.2010, 09:49 PM
philly_stu's Avatar
philly_stu philly_stu is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 20.06.2009
Posts: 44
Default

His contract isn't actually that bad for a trading team to take on, most of the money has already been paid by the bears and the base salary for the last 3 years of his contract is relatively low.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 06:43 PM.