Sponsored Links

Old 19.01.2010, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Tommie Harris

Simple: Is he done?
Sponsored Links
Old 19.01.2010, 06:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Simple: Done - No. Unmotivated and underperforming? - Yes.

It's not that he's lost a significant amount of ability physically - he's just not getting it done.
Old 20.01.2010, 03:37 AM
All Pro

maybe we could trade him for a good draft pick..
Old 20.01.2010, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

My problem was that for long periods this season Harris was supposed to be healthy and he did nothing his pass rush was none existant all season and while he was banged up at times I don't really think it is an excuse because there was not a single game I felt he met expectations. He had one or two eye catching plays against the run but given the contract he is on I think it is nowhere near good enough.

Injuries are the obvious cause of all this but they show no signs of abating and we have to be smart and think about what we are getting for our investment. I always hope he will be able to get back to anywhere close to his best but I just don't see it happening.

It would be interesting to see what people would trade for him but I don't think NFL teams are stupid, at least not those who run a Tampa-2 scheme which is where he would have to land. I cannot see us getting anything of value for him, especially with his large contract. In the end I think this may prove a decent time to cut him, while there is no cap hit in doing so and we free up lots of space for much needed additions.

Also, I think Isrreal Idonije has got better and better is the role of pass rusher to the point where he warrants a shot at being the starter. You could take him out on obvious running downs and use the addition of big guy in those situations.
Old 26.01.2010, 04:06 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
My problem was that for long periods this season Harris was supposed to be healthy and he did nothing his pass rush was none existant all season and while he was banged up at times I don't really think it is an excuse because there was not a single game I felt he met expectations. He had one or two eye catching plays against the run but given the contract he is on I think it is nowhere near good enough.
Agree 100%

He's such a source of frustration, Harris should've stepped up and become the defensive leader when Urlacher went down, instead we had excuses, and a couple of flashes of brilliance coupled with abject apathy.

It's a shame as he's a fantastic player when he really wants to be. But it seems he just doesn't want to be.

Quote:
Injuries are the obvious cause of all this but they show no signs of abating and we have to be smart and think about what we are getting for our investment. I always hope he will be able to get back to anywhere close to his best but I just don't see it happening.
Is it injuries now? or are they just a good excuse? As you said above he seemed to be healthy a lot of the time but he just wasn't getting it done, plus the little daft spats he had really didn't help.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what people would trade for him but I don't think NFL teams are stupid, at least not those who run a Tampa-2 scheme which is where he would have to land. I cannot see us getting anything of value for him, especially with his large contract. In the end I think this may prove a decent time to cut him, while there is no cap hit in doing so and we free up lots of space for much needed additions.

Also, I think Isrreal Idonije has got better and better is the role of pass rusher to the point where he warrants a shot at being the starter. You could take him out on obvious running downs and use the addition of big guy in those situations.
Idonije is a good player. I'd love to see someone like Peko join us, he's a pretty dominating DT with a nose for big plays, he's not the best pass rusher in the world but he's better than what we have. Doubt he'd be available or if we'd even think about making a move for him, but I like him as a player.

I think we could still get a fair bit out of trading Harris. But a Harris with a big kick up the backside could still be an asset.
Old 27.01.2010, 09:49 PM
Pro

His contract isn't actually that bad for a trading team to take on, most of the money has already been paid by the bears and the base salary for the last 3 years of his contract is relatively low.