Jets 2011 Draft - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 25.01.2011, 11:00 AM
All Pro

Default Jets 2011 Draft

Okay, first things first, what picks do we actually have? My understanding is we pick 30th in every round apart from the 2nd and 7th. Our second round pick went to the Chargers for Cromartie and our 7th to Detroit for O'Connell a QB on our IR list. However we got the Cardinals 7th round pick in the trade for Kerry Rhodes.

So that's No pick in rd2, 5th pick in rd7 and 30th in every other round. Is that right?
Sponsored Links
Old 25.01.2011, 12:46 PM
MVP

I haven't a clue what picks we have but we need to hold off on the constant trading of future picks.It's going to be frustrating if Cromartie walks after one year at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

We could use help on the defensive line/pass rush.A safety would also be nice.
Old 25.01.2011, 01:37 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley_Man View Post
I haven't a clue what picks we have but we need to hold off on the constant trading of future picks.It's going to be frustrating if Cromartie walks after one year at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

We could use help on the defensive line/pass rush.A safety would also be nice.
I think Cro and Holmes 100% stay now. Taylor retires? LT one more year?

But you are right constant trading of picks is not good especially 2nd round... I wanna have 1st and 2nd round every year.
Old 25.01.2011, 02:15 PM
All Pro

We desperately need a pass rusher and a ball hawk safety would be nice.
Old 25.01.2011, 02:57 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
I think Cro and Holmes 100% stay now. Taylor retires? LT one more year?

But you are right constant trading of picks is not good especially 2nd round... I wanna have 1st and 2nd round every year.
I'm not sure about Cro and Holmes. I've heard rumours Rex isn't pleased with Cromartie running his mouth (Ironic I know!) and Santonio has called Schotty's play calling into question. Whereas Braylon has been on twitter saying he loves the Jets and will do anything to stay. If it comes down to Braylon vs Santonio this might tip Braylon over the edge.

I hope we can keep them all though. I know Cro comes in for some criticism and has made mistakes this year but playing opposite Revis you're gonna get a lot of balls thrown your way. Most corners would make far more mistakes in that situation.
Old 26.01.2011, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely need a standout pass rusher (a la Suggs, Ware, Wake). Pace and Thomas do a good job but neither is dominant and, as a unit, we have too many games where we struggle to get to the QB. Safety is also a position in desperate need of an upgrade.

Our Defense has a lot of similarities to Baltimore (obviously) and Pittsburgh. One of the big differences is that they have Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, we have Eric Smith or Brodney Pool..... I think Jim Leonhard is a keeper, he knows the Defense inside out and is also a very good punt returner, but we have to improve at the other Safety spot.

I'd also like to see a big DT brought in either through the draft or FA. Jenkins is almost certainly finished and we need someone who can at least challenge Pouha for the starting spot, if not win it outright. I'd also like to see us shore up the OL, which I feel underperformed this season.

As for our Free Agents, I hope we do everything we can to keep both Holmes and Edwards. Holmes made countless big plays for us this season while Edwards is our deep threat and was a lot more consistent than usual. Brad Smith should also be retained if possible as he is a lethal KR and is also our Wildcat QB. I'm honestly not that bothered about Cromartie. He made some good plays this season but nowhere near as many as I expected him to. TBH, out of all the FA's we have in our secondary, the one I'd most like us to keep is Drew Coleman. He gives us good depth in the secondary and is also a very good pass rusher off the corner.

Jason Taylor and Jenkins are almost certainly gone as is Tony Richardson, I want LT to stay on but realise it's unlikely, Harris is a definite keeper as is Ellis (if he wants to play on) and Pool and (to a lesser extent) Eric Smith wouldn't be a big loss. The last four rule obviously restricts us but I trust Tanny to fill the holes we have and ensure we contend again next season....
Old 26.01.2011, 04:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Definitely need a standout pass rusher (a la Suggs, Ware, Wake). Pace and Thomas do a good job but neither is dominant and, as a unit, we have too many games where we struggle to get to the QB. Safety is also a position in desperate need of an upgrade.

Our Defense has a lot of similarities to Baltimore (obviously) and Pittsburgh. One of the big differences is that they have Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, we have Eric Smith or Brodney Pool..... I think Jim Leonhard is a keeper, he knows the Defense inside out and is also a very good punt returner, but we have to improve at the other Safety spot.

I'd also like to see a big DT brought in either through the draft or FA. Jenkins is almost certainly finished and we need someone who can at least challenge Pouha for the starting spot, if not win it outright. I'd also like to see us shore up the OL, which I feel underperformed this season.

As for our Free Agents, I hope we do everything we can to keep both Holmes and Edwards. Holmes made countless big plays for us this season while Edwards is our deep threat and was a lot more consistent than usual. Brad Smith should also be retained if possible as he is a lethal KR and is also our Wildcat QB. I'm honestly not that bothered about Cromartie. He made some good plays this season but nowhere near as many as I expected him to. TBH, out of all the FA's we have in our secondary, the one I'd most like us to keep is Drew Coleman. He gives us good depth in the secondary and is also a very good pass rusher off the corner.

Jason Taylor and Jenkins are almost certainly gone as is Tony Richardson, I want LT to stay on but realise it's unlikely, Harris is a definite keeper as is Ellis (if he wants to play on) and Pool and (to a lesser extent) Eric Smith wouldn't be a big loss. The last four rule obviously restricts us but I trust Tanny to fill the holes we have and ensure we contend again next season....
I forgot about the final 4 rule,I doubt that sticks if they get a new cba done.
Old 27.01.2011, 09:17 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post

I agree, pass rush is top of the list. I think we need to be able to generate pressure without blitzing though. This would make Rex's blitz schemes so much more effective. So a DE or DT is top of my wish list. Unfortunately lots of other teams are in the same boat, not least the Patriots who pick twice before us. I also think we need to inject some youth into our linebackers.

Other decisions obviously rest on what happens with our Free Agents. We might need a WR or OL depending on who stays and who goes. I read somewhere that Rex "collects" CBs and we shouldn't be surprised if he takes one. I could see the motivation in taking Wilson last year with the Revis hold out, but I would be surprised if he takes one this year. Although I suppose it depends on what happens for Cro.
Old 28.01.2011, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

A top DT would be nice. Again, comparing us to Pittsburgh and Baltimore, they have Casey Hampton and Ngata who are both All-Pro DT's. We have Kris Jenkins, a great player when fit but who is almost certainly done after two injury plagued seasons with us, and Pouha who is decent but nowhere near dominant. Not sure how deep this draft is at DT and OLB but, picking as low as we are, it might be a case of us going for the best available player as we did last year....
Old 29.01.2011, 11:31 AM
Pro Bowler

Pass Rush is No.1 Priority for me, Taylor will be gone, we need a monster to scare O Lines even if to just free up other guys.

secondly either a real good Saftey or a new fresh WR, just to bring along over the next few seasons with Tone and Braylon guiding him, maybe another option at TE but thats just me, i love TE's and good TE play