Jets 2011 Draft - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 29.04.2011, 07:50 AM
Team Captain

Default no.30 Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple

Surpised this hasnt been added here?
Very happy with the footage from Owls games (never sempt to see much in 08 draft which made me wonder why the hell `ol no. 6 got so high?), chasing down backs and penetrating the line etc.
but "No obvious weaknesses in his game" is good as theirs usually one aspect to address so hopefully he can bulk up whilst keeping agility and stamina to play 60 on full revs whilst pettine & ryan grooms him?
Downside is that Ayers was a possible solution to PR but theirs plenty left in this draft
Sponsored Links
Old 29.04.2011, 09:37 AM
All Pro

Reasonably happy with this pick. I've seen Wilkerson rated as high as 10th overall in the draft. I was getting a bit worried we were going to take Bowers just because he was still on the board, even though there is blatantly something wrong with him. We addressed our major need nice and early so I'm happy.
Old 29.04.2011, 11:01 AM
MVP

Yeah I'm happy too.Filled a position of need with a guy who's got a good scouting report.

I could still see a trade up to get one of the pass rushers still available but I think we'd have to get one of the next few picks or else it's not worth it.

We may just take BPA with our next pick or target a safety.
Old 29.04.2011, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Best possible pick for me considering the alternatives. I've heard too many negatives about the likes of Ayers and Houston to want us to take either of them at #30. Wilkerson may not be a "sexy" pick but he fills a definite need and can play at End or Tackle. Would have liked Phil Taylor but it was always unlikely he was going to drop to us and he has injury and attitude concerns so I don't think we could have done any better. Would be nice if we could find a way into the second round and get a pass rusher but a good start to our draft....
Old 29.04.2011, 09:28 PM
DarthJet

Very happy with the pick, his highlight reel shows him to be a strong tackler, stopping guys anywhere near him with those big arms he should be fun to watch this year.

I`d love one of the Nebraska OL with a late pick, I`m sure if one is good enough Bill will insist we pull the trigger, a CB/S, OLB and maybe another DL and that will be a good draft for us.

I am sick to the nipples of the Pats getting so many picks year after year, they must do it on purpose to annoy those Jets fans who worry and fret over these things and wonder why we can`t swing deals like that and stockpile picks, it`s not fair! I want multiple 2nd & 3rd rounders!!
Old 30.04.2011, 11:34 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJet View Post
Very happy with the pick, his highlight reel shows him to be a strong tackler, stopping guys anywhere near him with those big arms he should be fun to watch this year.

I`d love one of the Nebraska OL with a late pick, I`m sure if one is good enough Bill will insist we pull the trigger, a CB/S, OLB and maybe another DL and that will be a good draft for us.

I am sick to the nipples of the Pats getting so many picks year after year, they must do it on purpose to annoy those Jets fans who worry and fret over these things and wonder why we can`t swing deals like that and stockpile picks, it`s not fair! I want multiple 2nd & 3rd rounders!!
I don't think the draft is really our strong point, we seem to excel in free agency though!
Old 30.04.2011, 11:47 AM
Team Captain

Default ,,,It gets better?

as in Kenrick Ellis anyone?
I saw him as a poss first rounder/early 2nd? so chuffed to bits as his temperament will NOT be an issue with the RR baby
screw the pats, they have no FA pulling power unlike us (the woody & tanny dream combo), I mean, who wants to play for mr boring when you got the "foot man"

Last edited by NYSE; 30.04.2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 30.04.2011, 09:43 PM
All Pro

There's a guy on the Extremeskins message board who is something of a stats nerd that has built a QB model which he considers to be a very successful predictor of whether a player will pan out to be an NFL franchise quarterback or not. Of the QBs in this draft, his best bet for a late-round overlooked guy to become a star was Greg McElroy, whom the Jets picked a short while ago. It's true he has the smarts to achieve great things, although there are questions about his arm. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on as a Jet - will he just disappear off the face of the earth or become an unexpected hero?
Old 01.05.2011, 12:54 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_friend_goo View Post
Of the QBs in this draft, his best bet for a late-round overlooked guy to become a star was Greg McElroy, whom the Jets picked a short while ago. It's true he has the smarts to achieve great things, although there are questions about his arm. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on as a Jet - will he just disappear off the face of the earth or become an unexpected hero?
Would be nice if true but while I'm still not convinced 100% by Sanchez I can't see it. Mark is here for the long run and unless McElroy turns out to be something really, really special he wont even get near to a start never mind becoming our No 1 QB.
Old 01.05.2011, 08:36 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardiehibee View Post
Would be nice if true but while I'm still not convinced 100% by Sanchez I can't see it. Mark is here for the long run and unless McElroy turns out to be something really, really special he wont even get near to a start never mind becoming our No 1 QB.
He was drafted in Rd 7 - there's every chance he'll be out of the league in a couple of years, especially given his academic background meaning he'll not be short of career options. I won't allow the judgement of one fan (albeit one who has spent a lot of time studying QBs) to convince me he's the next big thing. Can't underestimate intelligent play and the fact that he's hardly ever lost a game, though. On the plus side, if Sanchez really does silence his critics and McElroy develops into an intriguing player, the Jets can shop him later on for a decent pick.