2012 Draft Specifics: Realistic first round targets with highlights - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Sponsored Links

Old 17.01.2012, 11:56 AM
All Pro

Arrow 2012 Draft Specifics: Realistic first round targets with highlights

So for starters I'll list the sure first rounders that have no chance of falling to us and that I doubt we trade up for:

No Chance
Andrew Luck
Matt Kalil
Justin Blackmon
Trent Richardson
Morris Claiborne
David DeCastro
Quinton Coples
Robert Griffin 3
Riley Reiff
Jonathon Martin
Devon Still

The next group are the choice of players we will end up taking with our two picks in the first, 27th and 32nd* I know some will shoot up boards at the combine but these guys are amongst the top 40 prospects in the draft, some will obviously go way before we draft and would need to be traded up for but differ slightly from the 'No Chance' section.... I will not include any QB's, OT's, OG's, RB's, TE's, FB's as I hope we don't select any of those positions with the 2 first rounders...

Defensive Linemen
Fletcher Cox. Mississippi State, (DT/DE)
Dontari Poe, Memphis (DT)
Michael Brockers, LSU (DT)
Jerel Worthy, Michigan State (DT)
Jared Crick, Nebraska (DE/DT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKSfftjAvpo

Outside Linebacker's
Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
Zach Brown, North Carolina
Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (OLB/DE)
Nick Perry, USC (OLB/DE)
Whitney Mercilus, Illinois (OLB/DE)

Inside Linebacker's
Luke Kuechly, Boston College
Dont'a Hightower, Alabama
Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State

Cornerback's
Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
Chase Minnifield, Virginia

Safeties
Mark Barron, Alabama

Wide Receiver's
Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
Kendall Wright, Baylor
Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers

Center's
Peter Konz, Wisconsin

I will be adding the videos on an ongoing bassis when I get the time, if anyone thinks I've missed anyone important who we may go for (with our first round picks only) then please let me know and I'll add them.

Last edited by Mr-Leeds; 17.01.2012 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 17.01.2012, 02:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Brockers will go much higher. His declaration was a surprise and he won't last past 15. Kuechly and Burfict won't be there past 25 (and I'm being generous!), and nor will Jeffery or Floyd. I love Sanu but think first round might be a reach...though I guess at 32 I'd not be too upset.

The only CB of that list still there at 27 is Minnifield and I'd HATE him in the first. Not remotely that good.

I don't want a first round centre when we've made do and can develop a guy later or target one in FA.

I initially was all-in on Barron but his coverage isn't great and he'll be overdrafted due to a lack of safeties. Reckon he'll be a Jet or a Bengal.

I like those OLB/DE convert types but I'm nowhere near as high on Mercilus as others seem to be. Not in the first round anyway.

I love jared Crick and the fact he'll likely slip to the 2nd due to injury could be a bargain for us.
Old 17.01.2012, 02:46 PM
All Pro

Send a message via Skype™ to Csna

Vinny Curry is a guy to look out he didn't have a great showing against FIU but he is a beast.

Miles Burris from SDSU is a great OLB with amazing speed clocked in at running 4.5 40 can make plays everywhere on the field and is a solid coverage player from what I've seen.

Not many high rated safeties in this draft but Winston Guy JR is a guy to look out for a very solid player.
Old 17.01.2012, 06:43 PM
All Pro

My thoughts on who I like/want are pretty much the same as my post here:https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=84433&page=6

Would love to trade up for David DeCastro if he comes within realistic range.

I like Jared Crick as a player but I wouldn't take him in the 1st round and similarly I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on Jerel Worthy if, depending on what we do next season, he's only going to be an interior sub rusher.

Courtney Upshaw is a few inches short of what we usually look for at 34 OLB. Zach Brown doesn't fit unless you want to replace Jarod Mayo. Melvin Ingram and Whitney Mercilus are 43 ends. I like Nick Perry but I doubt BB will feel the same way.

I like Donta Hightower but he isn't really needed unless you want to replace Brandon Spikes. I'd gamble on Vontaze Burfict but not in the 1st round.

I like Chase Minnifield maybe in the top part of the 2nd round.
Old 18.01.2012, 08:33 AM
All Pro

If Kirkpatrick does fall to us at #27 and BB doesn't see a passrusher he likes then we definately take Kirkpatrick. He has shown he doesn't really care about things like pot (Hernandez) if he is getting a steal. I don't care how many corners we have as Kirkpatrick is a top 10 talent and McCourty has had a down year, Arrington is not a starting corner in this league and Dowling is an unknown at the moment.
Old 18.01.2012, 10:05 AM
All Pro

Send a message via Skype™ to Csna

Ill try get some highlights going today or tomorrow of some potential patriot picks.
Old 18.01.2012, 09:37 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris caulfield View Post
If Kirkpatrick does fall to us at #27 and BB doesn't see a passrusher he likes then we definately take Kirkpatrick. He has shown he doesn't really care about things like pot (Hernandez) if he is getting a steal. I don't care how many corners we have as Kirkpatrick is a top 10 talent and McCourty has had a down year, Arrington is not a starting corner in this league and Dowling is an unknown at the moment.
Agree with you about Dowling, would have been nice to see more of him to be able to gage an opinion of what level he's at. As for McCourty, he has regressed frrom his rookie year and I really dont think Arrington is a starter either, but I personally would rather have a top pass rusher than another CB.
Old 18.01.2012, 11:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Yeah, a sick pass rush makes up for pass defence.
Old 19.01.2012, 08:25 AM
All Pro

Yeah, as would I hence why I said if BB doesn't see any pass rushers he likes. And Magnitude don't forget it can work both ways, a sick secondary can give the pass rush more time to kill the QB.
Old 19.01.2012, 04:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris caulfield View Post
Yeah, as would I hence why I said if BB doesn't see any pass rushers he likes. And Magnitude don't forget it can work both ways, a sick secondary can give the pass rush more time to kill the QB.
I'm not sure it can in today's NFL. A couple of plays per game, sure. But not consistently.