Seahawks Helmet Avatar? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Ideas for NFLUK.com

Sponsored Links

Old 14.02.2013, 10:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavlovsDog View Post
Bob, surely you realise that rules being enforced by mods and faults not being fixed by admins/techs, are completely unrelated?
Of course, but I'm not the one you need to make the point to. I summarised someone else's position.
Sponsored Links
Old 15.02.2013, 11:39 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Yes, 'they' banned him. The user in question has multiple infractions and previous warnings for swearing. Moderators on the site are users just like yourselves and are asked by NFLUK to enforce the rules of the site and ensure that it runs smoothly without any silliness/spamming/law breaking.

Perhaps if he had raised his complaint sensibly with the site admins who actually may be able to do something about it rather than blatantly breaking the rules which he was fully aware of he may have gotten somewhere. I find it hard to see how something so trivial could lead to such anger that one couldn't refrain from swearing when being duly aware it's not allowed.
I understand where you guys are coming from in that I won't condone breaking any of the rules, everyone knows them.
My point was the question wasn't answered in nearly 2 months, but it took 39 minutes to pick up on that post. You kinda proved him right in doing this.

Not sure how else he could have asked the original post that wasn't answered.
Old 16.02.2013, 04:11 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttery View Post
I understand where you guys are coming from in that I won't condone breaking any of the rules, everyone knows them.
My point was the question wasn't answered in nearly 2 months, but it took 39 minutes to pick up on that post. You kinda proved him right in doing this.

Again, what has one thing got to do with the other?
Old 16.02.2013, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttery View Post

What Pavlov said. It's our job to moderate the site and enforce the rules, not fix bugs. I don't see how his 'point was proved'.
Old 16.02.2013, 09:22 AM
MVP

Quote:
What Pavlov said. It's our job to moderate the site and enforce the rules, not fix bugs. I don't see how his 'point was proved'.
Yeah but isn't the point maybe there should be a few more people fixing bugs and a few less people moderating the site? Judging by relative response times one of those camps either isn't doing its job or is understaffed. Sort of a bit like a microcosm of society in a way, this. Don't fix the problems, just lock the people up when they complain about them.
Old 16.02.2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Yeah but isn't the point maybe there should be a few more people fixing bugs and a few less people moderating the site? Judging by relative response times one of those camps either isn't doing its job or is understaffed. Sort of a bit like a microcosm of society in a way, this. Don't fix the problems, just lock the people up when they complain about them.
There are nine or ten moderators on a site (some who come on here more often than others) which even on a quiet off-season afternoon like today had hundreds of people online and during peak times is chaotic and hard to keep track of. We also do this voluntarily and are not on the payroll, which any admin/IT guys would be. I've got no idea how many people are in charge of actually running the site, but apart from the issue with the Seahawks avatar (which does not interfere with the actual running of the forum) I'd say it runs pretty smoothly for the most part. Surely the fact that a rule break gets picked up relatively quickly is a good thing?

I can't believe you are comparing someone being banned on a forum for repetitive rule breaking to the justice system and society as a whole. Perhaps NFLUK should be investing in some sort of re-habilitation scheme to prepare the user in question for a return to life amongst the general populace?

It gets to the point where I just think that if people hate the site so much they should stop complaining and find somewhere else to talk NFL. We don't pay for this service, which isn't perfect but provides a great forum for discussing the game we love.
Old 16.02.2013, 05:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Support a different team and your avatar will work
Old 16.02.2013, 07:15 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I can't believe you are comparing someone being banned on a forum for repetitive rule breaking to the justice system and society as a whole. Perhaps NFLUK should be investing in some sort of re-habilitation scheme to prepare the user in question for a return to life amongst the general populace?
Haha thats quality. Had me think that maybe we should create an online course to rehabilitate banned users
Old 16.02.2013, 07:16 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Rodgers View Post
Support a different team and your avatar will work
Bingo! problem solved
Old 22.02.2013, 12:05 AM
Banned

Woohoo they finally fixed the avatar...........oh hang on my mistake, what was I thinking, no one really gives a damn about these things, only about swearing!

Quote:
There are nine or ten moderators on a site (some who come on here more often than others) which even on a quiet off-season afternoon like today had hundreds of people online and during peak times is chaotic and hard to keep track of. We also do this voluntarily and are not on the payroll, which any admin/IT guys would be
If it takes 9 or 10 wannabe dictators (please see that I'm joking here) giving up their hard-earned spare time to moderate the site, and if it is so "chaotic" and "hard to keep track of" then why not have this crazy idea of not wasting your time banning people for swearing. I mean jeeeesus......I work in IT and pretty much everyone swears on a day-to-day basis in normal conversation. It's nothing to do with being "angry" as was mentioned earlier, mostly it's about banter and having a laugh. I think it's hilarious that someone actually cares that I use a swear word, whilst no one seems to care that the images for some avatars aren't working.

Also as I do seem unable to stop swearing in posts, and there is no rehabilitation course available for my re-introdution into this Orwellian society I was wondering if a moderator could give me a list of what swear words I could get an infraction for.............?...........

I mean, can I use "poo", or "wee"? Are they deemed swearing?......e.g. "I think the 49ers stink of wee" or "that Kaepernick, he looks like a big poo"? Or is it just the context that certain words are used in?......so if I said "those 49ers are on again, I'm off for a wee"....would that be ok?

Can I use "damn"? or what about "goddam"? is that worse than "damn" as now that is bringing religious defamation into the mix.........jeez that's opening up a can of worms.......oops I used "jeez" as in "jesus".....will I get an infraction for that?

What about bloody? bloomin? will they get me an infraction?

ps. at least more and more people are looking at this thread due to my swearing/bans....maybe at some point the word will get back to the site admins about this jerk with the swearing problem....they may look at this thread and they may think....oooh lets do our job and fix the original issue (they may even have a little laugh about it amongst themselves and even let out a couple of expletives!)

pps. you mad bro'?

Last edited by Vincent; 22.02.2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Modded, again

Tags