Chan Gailey Fired - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Buffalo Bills

Sponsored Links

Old 01.01.2013, 12:51 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Chan Gailey Fired

Guess you all know that Black Monday hit Buffalo on New Years Eve and Chan Gailey was given is p45, although the guy is a good Offensive Coordinator, he wasnt a head coach material, and also good news in some respects the whole coaching staff have been given the Boot. Am glad but also upset as Joe D'Alessandro did a great job with the O-Line, and should have been retained.

Here is Gailey's statement he made yesterday

"A couple of things. One, Scott (Berchtold) wanted to make sure I clarified one thing, the staff has been relieved of their duties as well. Just so we all get that straight. The second thing is there won’t be any questions after this. I’ve just got a few things I want to say.

The first thing I want to say is thanks to the Bills organization, to Buddy (Nix) and Mr. Wilson for the opportunity. I understand this is a business. We didn’t get the job done. I’ve been called two other times to turn things around, was able to do it. I wasn’t able to get this one done soon enough, and I understand that completely.

I want to thank the fans. Great Buffalo fans, a great football town. These are loyal, loyal fans and I understand that. I think that the next staff will have a great opportunity for success and to make this another great football franchise.

This will probably be, and I say probably, but I think it will be the first place that’s ever fired me that I’ll pull for. Thank you."

Your Thoughts and who to replace him?
Sponsored Links
Old 01.01.2013, 12:57 PM
All Pro

Lovie Smith is reportedly interested in the HC job.
Old 01.01.2013, 12:59 PM
Pro Bowler

Some of the Names being linked with us

Lovie Smith
John Gruden
Jay Gruden
Perry Fewell
Bruce Arians
Kyle Shanahan
Pete Carmichael
Andy Ried
Mike Zimmer

and other coaches/Coordinators in:
Ray Horton
Doug Marrone
Ken Whisenhunt
Norv Turner
Nick Saban
Chip Kelly
Brian Kelly
Greg Roman
Bill O'Brien

Now out of those Lists you have a mix of offensive minded and defensive minded coaches, my opinion i would like to see a Head Coach focus on that role and get the Coordinators in to run the offense and defense. My Wish list

HC: Lovie Smith/Mike Zimmer
OC: Josh McDaniels
DC: Mike Singletary

Its a pipe dream, if we get Lovie, we may stand a chance of keeping Byrd as his dad is DB Coach of the Bears and could come over, either Smith or Zimmer will suit me
Old 01.01.2013, 01:59 PM
All Pro

McDaniels is staying with us in 2013

.. You can tempt Bill O'Brien back to the NFL but he apparently has a big buyout clause at Penn State.
Old 01.01.2013, 02:42 PM
Pro

If we got Nick Saban has head coach, that would be big news! And they always say coaches need a second shot at HCing in the NFL before they get it right
Old 01.01.2013, 02:50 PM
Pro Bowler

Nice comments from Gailey about the fans and organisation - he may not have got the job done but at least he was a decent guy. Good luck to him and good luck to the Bills.
There's certainly a lot of HC movement out there so it could be an exciting time for Buffalo.
Old 01.01.2013, 03:15 PM
MVP

Not really happy about Chan going he wasn't the problem. Even more unhappy Doug Marrone is up for some head coaching job in the NFL. Syracuse won't replace him with anyone close to his class anytime soon and they need that caliber of headcoach going into the ACC. He was being hinted that he may be fired midseason how quickly things change.

Andy Ried, Chip Kelly, John Gruden or Nick Saban won't take the job. Buffalo will be dead last in most coaches option with the weather, geographic situation, money, team talent and QB situation.

Lovie Smith we have a shot at although he has always been a very vanilla headcoach. It's a bad year to be looking for a headcoach but lol at Josh McDaniels horrible at the Broncos and bad as the Rams OC. Shouldn't be in the conversation to get a HC till he's better at his job. Any head coach is going to look good with a Tom Brady controlled offence.
Old 01.01.2013, 05:38 PM
Pro

Surely the Chiefs, at the very least, would be less appealing than Buffalo...
Old 01.01.2013, 05:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by James954 View Post
Surely the Chiefs, at the very least, would be less appealing than Buffalo...
They have the first overall pick, nicer weather, no long term ownership questions and don't give up one home game a year to play in Toronto. It's a better situation.
Old 01.01.2013, 06:16 PM
Pro

I take your point. Still, a top 10 draft spot and a good football town should be appealing to someone out there.