K-Gun Offense - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Buffalo Bills

Sponsored Links

Old 17.01.2013, 05:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Default K-Gun Offense

I've heard mention that with the Bills appointment of Marrone and Hackett, they may return to the K-Gun offense which was famously used at the height of their success in the 90's.

I know much of this is idle press speculation but what if this does materialise and they adopt an offense similar to the K-Gun. Could it work and what would they need to do to put it in to practice?

My initial thoughts are that this could mean some exciting football is coming to Buffalo - despite Gailey having a good offensive mind, his teams couldn't ever really be called exciting to watch. However, it's obviously about more than a system and without the right personnel it just wouldn't work. The K-Gun used 3 WR's, a TE and a talented QB, but they were top notch players - this seems like a major hurdle since Buffalo only have a couple of these pieces already in place, namely Johnson and Chandler. Fitz is probably not the man to take us forward and we are lacking in depth at WR. Therefore unless the system could be made to work with the current talent it could be a lengthy process.

What do you think?

Last edited by colonelp; 17.01.2013 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 18.01.2013, 12:05 AM
MVP

Last time they tried "K-Gun" was in 09 it lasted half a season. Result Dick Jauron was sacked Trent Edwards benched so it did what the fans wanted it to do.

It won't be K-Gun it will be the same high tempo offence so many teams are using. Until they have a QB that is half of Jimbo's quality Buffalo can't run a high tempo offence requiring NFL reads. Marrone had a smart quality QB at Syracuse that could pick apart college defences. It will take much development before we see a QB that can run Marrone dream offence in the NFL. Until the Bills have more weapons on offence all a high tempo offence will mean is we are giving the ball away to the other team quicker increasing their scoring chances. High tempo offence can work with this staff and O-Line but it could be ugly in the short term.
Old 18.01.2013, 07:26 AM
Starter

High tempo offence can work with this staff and O-Line but it could be ugly in the short term.[/QUOTE]

Short Term .... Well were used to that ............ and theres always next year in the long term!
Old 21.01.2013, 08:35 PM
MVP

As a sufferer at the hands of that offense, the other part you need is another Thurman Thomas. Spiller is a good back, but he's not as versatile as Thomas was which made him so effective both rushing and especially recieving.

Those damn screen passes were the bane of my Dolphins supporting life for more than half a decade...
Old 23.01.2013, 02:15 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper85 View Post
As a sufferer at the hands of that offense, the other part you need is another Thurman Thomas. Spiller is a good back, but he's not as versatile as Thomas was which made him so effective both rushing and especially recieving.

Those damn screen passes were the bane of my Dolphins supporting life for more than half a decade...
All depends how healthy Fred Jackson comes back. He doesn't do anything amazing but he does everything you want from a HB well.
Old 23.01.2013, 08:22 PM
Pro Bowler

By his own admission he said that he never was 100% fit this season. I think with the extra 15% and being injury free (i hope), it will make a big difference.

Goodfry- where do you get your Bills info from?

On a side note I read that this year's draft will be pretty good for RB and TE, but imagine WR is our priority over those?
Old 24.01.2013, 11:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelp View Post
By his own admission he said that he never was 100% fit this season. I think with the extra 15% and being injury free (i hope), it will make a big difference.

Goodfry- where do you get your Bills info from?

On a side note I read that this year's draft will be pretty good for RB and TE, but imagine WR is our priority over those?
Probably the best place around for general news and reports.
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/

Bleacher Report for opinion pieces as well as seeing what’s going in every other sport.
http://bleacherreport.com/buffalo-bills

and http://www.buffalobills.com/ because it’s the official one.
Old 24.01.2013, 11:10 AM
MVP

Quote:
Only really the HB from North Carolina and the TE from Notre Dame I've heard about that could have changed with early draft entries/ people’s draft stock rising.

My Guess for what direction they are going in.

QB1#, -Easy need, Fitzpatrick has been more miss than miss. New Head Coach new QB.

WR 2#,- TJ Graham has potential the rest of the WRs other than Stevie need an upgrade to help out the QB. The Front office brought in an offensive minded coach odds are Ralph Wilson wants offence.

DE 3#- Mario is still a pro bowl quality but with two injuries in two seasons and not getting any younger, Anderson missed half the season with a major injury and Kelsey is old. Bills need depth/quality. Not a huge need but pass rush is all ways going to be high on people’s board (see the Giants success)

LB 4#,- Buffalos linebackers are probably the weakest LB unit in the NFL. Kelvin Sheppard hasn’t worked out so far.

SS 5#, George Wilson will be 32 next season.
Old 24.01.2013, 07:35 PM
Pro Bowler

Cheers for those sites. I've looked at a few of those before but not in any detail as yet. What do you think of 'twobillsdrive' forum?

PS - Would you think Barwin would be a good pickup? There's nothing in this but he is soon to be a free agent I hear, and I was a big fan of the Houston D last year.

Last edited by colonelp; 24.01.2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 25.01.2013, 01:06 PM
MVP

Quote:
Cheers for those sites. I've looked at a few of those before but not in any detail as yet. What do you think of 'twobillsdrive' forum?

PS - Would you think Barwin would be a good pickup? There's nothing in this but he is soon to be a free agent I hear, and I was a big fan of the Houston D last year.
Can’t say I’ve used it, I’m a young dinosaur when it comes to trying out other internet media as a contributor just sticking to what I’ve all ways used. Use this one for posting, the above sites for news, sometimes football futures forum and in the past the Bills official forum for sporadic postings. Keeping it short any other forums I couldn’t tell you about.

Connor Barwin looks a bit of a tweener to be a 4-3 player for me. He was a massive hype prospect on these forums when coming out then found the perfect system with Wade Phillips. With Mark Anderson fat contract I think we have a player that is too similar for Buffalo to spend out on Barwin who after putting up some nice numbers will want a decent pay check.