NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Buffalo Bills

Sponsored Links

Old 02.02.2013, 11:24 AM
MVP

Default Stevie doesn't do the work

Stevie's interview with ESPN troll Jim Rome-

Quote:
Jim Rome: "What are you doing this off-season? Are you still getting caught up in some local runs? Are you changing up your basketball routine? What are you doing to stay in shape and get ready for the new season?"

Stevie Johnson: "I'm actually - it's funny - I'm actually going to work out."

JR: "No way, really? You mean actually lift weights?"

SJ: "I usually never work out. I just, like, play basketball and run around the block."

JR: "How does that work? You don't hit the weights out of season at all?"

SJ: "The only time I worked out was my rookie year from after (the) combine, just to get in the league. I went down to L.A. and worked with Travelle Gaines, and ever since then, I've only did work with my wife running around the block and playing basketball. That was all I did."

JR: "Why? Do they not insist you have some kind of off-season conditioning program? Throw the weights around?"

SJ: "I probably shouldn't be saying this. Yeah, they give us the booklet and stuff, but I get it and I put it in a drawer. I really don't do it."

JR: "Stevie, you made it through an entire interview without getting into trouble man, until right there, I think."

SJ: "I'm sorry, I'm just being honest, man. This year we've got a new staff, and you know, I've had three seasons with a thousand yards, and that's like without doing, like, real football work. So you know, who knows what happens if I really put in work? Maybe I can eclipse a thousand and go into twelve hundred, you know, maybe thirteen. Maybe I'll be even more energized to finish out games, and we'll get things done, you know. So I'm going to be working hard from next Sunday to April 1st when we go back."
If have no problem with this. It's all about production and Stevie a low risk 7th round pick has put up the numbers and made the plays worth his contract. A player can do what they want off the field so as long as they aren't hurting anybody and bringing it when it counts. Still pretty funny he would admit this stuff on a talk show.
Sponsored Links
Old 05.02.2013, 06:29 PM
Pro Bowler

Well, you can't criticize his honesty but I think he leaves himself open by saying this. I agree that he needs to be producing on the field but im surprised he can get away with this at that level. I think fans would be entitled to look at his performance at times and now consider "would he have been better if he had worked harder". At the top level of anything it is all about the extra mile and i suspect if you look at the behaviour of the elite they wont miss an opportunity to improve. I wouldn't want to change his personality but i think part of being a pro in any sport is giving it 100%. Having read a little about Marrone he may not be able to get away with this from now on.
Old 09.02.2013, 08:15 PM
MVP

Some guys like Stevie don't fit the profile he's a bit like Chad Johnson in that way put him in a more professional set up he doesn't have the same success. Him and Marrone could have some issue major ones or Marrone lets him bring his game to the field and gives him leeway to do his own thing. With his production it's hard to complain when he is about as productive if not more as the last multi 1000 yard target the Bills had Lee Evans who was considered as professional as they come. With his speed and hands I’m not sure how much top level off season work is going to improve him he is as productive as you could expect.
Old 10.02.2013, 05:55 PM
Pro Bowler

This is my personal take but these types of characters are luxuries, your David Ginola kind of player. I can't comment on the locker room chemistry because I don't know enough but I just can't see how team mates would be ok with someone not putting the work in when required. The playing season is short but these guys are paid professional athletes all year round. I think you are rightin that it may come to a head with Marrone, in a similar fashion to how Schiano put things in order.

You can't argue with his figures - they are good and he has the raw talent - but they arent elite, and Stevie as much as anyone is frustrated that the Bills are under performing. I think if you look at the best of the best in any sport you will see they stand out from the crowd because they go that extra mile. It's no coincidence that Jerry Rice and Walter Payton are known for grinding up and down Hills until their sick, or that Jonny Wilkinson used to stay after practice and kick another 100 balls.

More than anything else it's just about camaraderie and putting in the work together. Good old blood, sweat and tears - just like Kyle Williams wanted.
Old 25.03.2013, 10:35 PM
Pro Bowler

Good stuff...http://www.buffalobills.com/media-ce...3-db53c5a0acfa