New Tottenham Stadium - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 10.04.2019, 10:25 AM
MVP

Default New Tottenham Stadium

I went to the new Spurs stadium last night for the first time. In case of interest to anyone ahead of the two NFL games this Autumn here are my thoughts:

The good stuff:

- The arena itself is stunning. One of the best I've been in, certainly. It looks great.

- You are closer to the field than at Wembley, both lower tier and upper tier. The upper tier is quite steep, that's probably why.
- I wandered around a bit before the game and views looked good everywhere. Everyone enters the stadium on Level 1 so unlike Wembley you can move between levels

- Big screens in all 4 corners - that's also better than Wembley, I think

- The sound was the real standout thing. It was so loud! You can see they have really thought about how to channel crowd noise. I've been to Wembley to watch the same team a lot in the last 2 years and it was never that loud. Really built an atmosphere

- Toilets are new obviously and therefore in nicer condition (at least before the game starts...) There are more toilet blocks but each is smaller. I didn't go at half-time but did before/after and did not need to queue for long.

- Getting there and back was OK, better than I was expecting, actually. The trains from WHL station are not that regular (5 an hour) but they are long 12-coach trains so each holds a lot of people. I got a seat on the way up from Liverpool Street. I went home a different way as I live fairly locally but someone told me on the way home they were on a train within 20 minutes of joining the back of the queue, which isn't too bad at all. I guess what I would say is that for Spurs games there are probably fewer fans needing to get back into central London than I would imagine for NFL. Plenty seemed to be walking to Tottenham Hale or Seven Sisters too to get the Victoria line.

- The club shop is huge. There was actually room to get in and to move. Queues to pay were not big. Can't say if it will be the same for NFL. There is a small NFL section in the shop all the time (but selection not great - only a few teams had jerseys and I'm not sure Tannehill Dolphins and Brown Steelers jerseys are worth £75 anymore). A member of staff told me that on NFL weekends the whole shop will turn into NFL merchandise so I expect a much greater selection and perhaps something for fans of teams who didn't seem to be represented yesterday.

- Getting in was hassle free. Security was via a scanner and only patdowns if you set the alarm off.

The need to know stuff: Not sure if this is good or bad, but the new stadium is card only, no cash. Paying was quick and easy anyway.

The less good stuff:

- The seats are a bit more tightly packed than what we are used to at Wembley and definitely less than you'll be used to if you have been to a game in America. Better than, say, the Kop at Anfield - your knees aren't scraping the seat in front (I'm 6ft), but a bit less roomy.

- It was very crowded and cramped in the stadium concourses. They are nice modern concourses from what I could see but they are very narrow compared to Wembley and you just couldn't move for people. I avoided going back in at half time for this reason. Some of this might have been that with it being new everyone got there early to see what was there. But compared to Wembley I would say the lower tier concourse is half as wide at best. I got the impression there were several pinch points where because of the design inside bottlenecks of people are going to form. There were a lot of stewards trying to move people along. I've not really seen that at Wembley besides at the tops of escalators.

- Consequently food and drink queues were huge. Staff were not as incompetent as Wembley staff but they didn't look rushed off their feet either, I think they could probably have served people a bit quicker. The 'market' area, the flagship area, was closed off due to overcrowding. There were plenty of stands, but also plenty of customers. Perhaps at the NFL where people are buying over a longer period of time the queues will be less bad.

- They said no water could be brought in, and then inside they sold me a £2 bottle of water with the lid on! So it's clearly not a safety/potential missile issue! I'm sure we can work out the real reason...

- No escalators up to the top level. This surprised me actually, I thought all big new stadia had those. It's just a quicker way of moving people. There are lifts but most people including me ended up taking the stairs.

Overall, enjoyable experience. I certainly liked the fact I was home at least half an hour earlier than I would have been from Wembley. I think fans will enjoy the arena but perhaps find it a bit crowded on the inside. Comments from people watching on TV are overwhelmingly positive but I guess on TV you see the best bit, which is the stadium bowl itself. There are things I prefer about Wembley but overall I think this is an upgrade, especially for the atmosphere.

Last edited by European Bob; 10.04.2019 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10.04.2019, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the write-up. Sounds like there are a lot of positives over Wembley. Overcrowding I'm not massively concerned about as like you say - people at NFL games will be arriving/leaving/visiting concessions etc. over a longer period of time.

I just hope the ticketing isn't a disaster now as I'm looking forward to checking it out myself...
Old 10.04.2019, 11:24 AM
Rookie

One thing that does confuse me with this being 'the first purpose built NFL stadium outside of the US', is the size of that south stand!
You have 17,500 seats, which is almost 30% of the capacity, situated at one of the end zones. To me this seems like a very peculiar design for an 'NFL Stadium', with the majority of seats usually running along each sideline.
Old 10.04.2019, 12:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird27 View Post
One thing that does confuse me with this being 'the first purpose built NFL stadium outside of the US', is the size of that south stand!
You have 17,500 seats, which is almost 30% of the capacity, situated at one of the end zones. To me this seems like a very peculiar design for an 'NFL Stadium', with the majority of seats usually running along each sideline.
Yes, that's an interesting point. I'm sure they won't struggle to fill it though and they will probably just price seats accordingly. Though of course there will be sideline seats available from row 1 due to the clever stadium design - no more covers over the first 10-12 rows on the sidelines.
Old 10.04.2019, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
- They said no water could be brought in, and then inside they sold me a £2 bottle of water with the lid on! So it's clearly not a safety/potential missile issue! I'm sure we can work out the real reason...
While you can't take water in, you are allowed to take an empty bottle and fill it up at the numerous water points inside the stadium.
Old 13.04.2019, 05:47 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird27 View Post
It's purpose built in the sense of the pitch and changing rooms.

It's the 1st stadium where aspects were incorporated in the design for the purpose of hosting the NFL, and they were. That's very different to it being designed for the NFL. The NFL is its secondary use, football is its 1st

It's designed for the NFL, but not PRIMARILY designed for the NFL.

First and foremost it's a Spurs football stadium and single tier stands behind the goals are what football fans want

Last edited by BuffaloG; 13.04.2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 17.04.2019, 06:22 PM
Rookie

Are there any 'club' options like at Wembley?