2019 Draft - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 13.04.2019, 07:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Default 2019 Draft

A little late in the process for this thread perhaps, but better late than never!

So, what do the Cowboys need? and what will the Cowboys get? (and eventually what do we all think of what actually happened).

I think it's fair to say that Safety and Defensive Tackle have been seen as priorities since the Draft season began. With Lawrence re-signed, and the addition of Quinn, it feels like defensive end has fallen down the pecking order even with Randy Gregory's current situation.

On the subject of Safety, it felt like the end of the season was dominated by the dream of signing a certain Free Safety by the name of Earl Thomas. All that talk seemed to point towards the Cowboys looking to upgrade the FS position i.e. Xavier Woods. As the Draft approaches though are the Cowboys (or fans) starting to look towards upgrading the SS position instead i.e. Jeff Heath? Heath is 27 and in the final year of his contract. Woods is 23 and still has 2 years remaining on his (cheap) rookie deal.

So is Safety a viable/sensible option at #58? Highly unlikely that any of the top 5 Safeties will reach them at that pick, but that could be in the range of players like Darnell Savage (Maryland) or Amani Hooker (Iowa), or maybe even Deionte Thompson (Alabama). Personally I think SS's like Taylor Rapp (Washington) and Johnathan Abram (Miss. St.) will be long gone. As will versatile guys like Nasir Adderley (Delaware) and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (Florida). Juan Thornhill (Virginia) tested so well at the Combine he's probably gone too. Rapp, Abram and Hooker appear to box safeties who can cover if required to. The rest fit in somewhere between interchangeable Safeties who can play down or back, nickel/slot coverage safeties, or Centre Field Safeties like Thompson. Maybe the Cowboys get lucky and one of the top 5 falls further than expected but it feels like #58 might be tantalizingly out of reach for the Safety they covert, especially if it's the likes of Adderley, Abram or Rapp.

What do you think? Is there realistically a Safety worth taking at #58? What's the bigger need, FS or SS? For me, unless Taylor Rapp reaches the 50's i'm not trading up to get one, and if Darnell Savage, Amani Hooker, or even Juan Thornhill are staring the Cowboys in the face at #58 I hope they go in a different direction.
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
Hall of Fame

I've seen quite a few articles lately that have talked about 'worst case scenario's' at #58. Most of them have some pretty highly rated prospects making it to #58 though.

3 of the bigger names still on the board in PFF's recent 'head to head' 3 round mock were Dre'Mont Jones (DT), Jachai Polite (DE) and Deionte Thompson (S). That would be a pretty uninspiring scenario for the Cowboys I think.

Jones isn't stout against the run. Polite is undersized and tested poorly. Thompson was a potential top 10 pick to some months ago, but he's sinking/sunk fast!

I'm starting to think trading up could be the way to go. If they gave up #58 and #90, but got up into the mid 40's and got a 5th round pick back too? I think that could work out well, there is depth in this draft. The guy you get at 90 might not be too far removed from what you can get at 150?