Training Camp - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 29.07.2015, 08:37 AM
Hall of Fame

Default Training Camp

I don't think a thread exists that is solely devoted to news in and around Training Camp (and the Pre Season), so thought I'd create one as it's usually an interesting time.

So to kick things off...............Jeremy Mincey is apparently looking for a new deal, and according to Ian Rapaport, is willing to holdout during Camp in the hope of getting one. He was a key piece of the defence last year, and he's only being paid $1.7m in 2015, the last year of his 2 year deal.

His contribution last year was worth more than he was paid, but the fact we've retooled the DE position, combined with his age, he's 32 in December, makes it a tricky situation for both team and player.

Perhaps they look to give him an extra year with some new guaranteed money as a 'reward' for his performance last year, but I expect Mincey is looking longer term all things considered.

Whatever happens, not exactly a welcome piece of news to kick Camp off.
Old 03.08.2015, 04:45 PM
Hall of Fame

A few fireworks from Dez and Patmon it seems. Nothing much in it for me, Dez fighting guys is becoming a headline to wheel out at this time of year. I get players get 'emotional', but it's almost like boxers bad mouthing each other in the run up to a fight, then shaking hands and saying how much respect they have for them after the fight. If that was true you wouldn't throw words/punches around.

Of more interest (in some ways) is the apparent dominance of Tyron Smith. It's early doors, but it seems he's got the potential to be dominant this year. He's probably just behind Jason Peters and Joe Thomas as an elite LT in this league, but perhaps this is the year he changes that.

Waiting on some news about how Sean Lee has looked at this early stage too.
Old 05.08.2015, 03:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Just watched a few clips of Training Camp, especially the battles between the O line and D line.

Looks like Ben Gardner will have to earn a spot on the roster with his work against the run and pass rushing to the inside. He doesn't seem to have the burst or speed to worry tackles on the outside. He'll give 101% so I hope he finds ways to get to the quarterback. I liked him coming out of Stanford a year ago.

Watching Zach Martin in the drills is very reassuring. Nobody bar Greg Hardy really gave him any trouble. His technique, anchor, extension and punch is so crisp.

Speaking of Hardy, if he's giving Zach Martin trouble then you know he's good, and you also realise the strength he possesses. It's the strength that puts Martin on the back foot, literally.

Lawrence (against Free), Mincey, Crawford and Gregory looked sharp too. In fact it's hard not to get too excited about what this pass rush rotation might bring. As a result the O line should be kept on it's toes in practice every week as well.
Old 09.08.2015, 10:55 AM
Hall of Fame

Seems like Training Camp is starting to take it's toll! After Boatright was hospitalised, now we have Carr needing hand surgery, to add to a fair few hamstring issues (Dez included) and other bumps and bruises that are affecting a handful of guys.

Caution probably plays a part in a lot of the guys missing practice time, which is common sense so early in the year. Hopefully we're getting all these minor issues out of the way early though, at least it gives them time to heal up.

In terms of clouds and silver linings, it does give Bryon Jones more reps at corner with Carr out, although finding the silver lining to the injuries at RB is a little harder to do.
Old 09.08.2015, 10:39 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
A few fireworks from Dez and Patmon it seems. Nothing much in it for me, Dez fighting guys is becoming a headline to wheel out at this time of year. I get players get 'emotional', but it's almost like boxers bad mouthing each other in the run up to a fight, then shaking hands and saying how much respect they have for them after the fight. If that was true you wouldn't throw words/punches around.

Of more interest (in some ways) is the apparent dominance of Tyron Smith. It's early doors, but it seems he's got the potential to be dominant this year. He's probably just behind Jason Peters and Joe Thomas as an elite LT in this league, but perhaps this is the year he changes that.

Waiting on some news about how Sean Lee has looked at this early stage too.
You have lost me here pal, regarding Smith, i thought he was dominant? pro bowler and all ?
Old 09.08.2015, 10:51 PM
All Pro

Think Mincey desrerves a bit of a deal seeing as how he was really the best D line player last season-but there is a lot of competition even on the rotation set up
Old 10.08.2015, 01:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
You have lost me here pal, regarding Smith, i thought he was dominant? pro bowler and all ?
I didn't word that very well, sorry. By dominant I meant 'completely' dominant, as in the best in the league dominant. If he's attracting attention from the Cowboys media for being dominant, then in a strange sort of way I saw that as being even better than he was before. He's very good, but he isn't perfect. I don't think anyone can say for sure he is the best OT in the league, but if he is 5% better than last year then perhaps he'll be recognised as the best in the league before the year is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Think Mincey desrerves a bit of a deal seeing as how he was really the best D line player last season-but there is a lot of competition even on the rotation set up
He got an extra $500,000 I think. Basically his 'snap' bonuses he missed out on last year. Hopefully he's content with his 'enhanced contract' and will perhaps revisit things next summer.
Old 11.08.2015, 07:43 PM
All Pro

Anyone who can bull rush Smith desreves a pay deal i think by all accounts Smith was struggling to contain Gregory as well......its looking ok