Training Camp - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 19.08.2015, 11:12 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Yeah what happened to Okoye? is he still with the 49ers? i remember him on sky sports being banded about as the next Brit player to make an impact-he def had the size and speed for a DE but then the coach (cant remember who) more or less dissd him saying he might make special teams. I just get the impression coaches/clubs dont really like foreigners coming into the game:confused:
Quote:
Just checked the roster and hes still listed
It's not that, it's just it takes time for players to adjust, and although they may be doing very well all things considered, the reality is there are only about 1700 human beings playing in the NFL at any one time. To go from the UK, or another sport, into the NFL and have an immediate impact is nigh on impossible.

Take Jack Crawford of the Cowboys. He may be London born (and schooled) but he did attend Penn State and play NCAA. He's now almost 27 years old and has 2 sacks to his name.

I think the expectations for 'Foreign' players is lower than for US guys in some ways, and understandably so. When they come into Camp I think they are a pleasant surprise, especially if they have raw athletic ability. Still, and without going round in circles, I imagine the jump to making an NFL roster is a massive one.
Old 21.08.2015, 10:43 AM
Hall of Fame

So Randle's oblique injury flares up again, and we waive Lache Seastrunk. Day by day i'm losing more and more faith in our stable of RB's.

I understand they will be being uber cautious with Randle and McFadden, if we lose them we are in serious trouble, but we can't seem to find (or settle) on a 3rd RB who can contribute (or stay healthy). It's still early too, but if the final week of Pre Season rolls round and we're still in the same boat then I'd say the panic button will be under serious threat of being hit.

I doubt we could get him, and he perhaps his pass blocking skills might not be what we'd want in an ideal world, but if we could get Tre Mason from the Rans that would be great. That ain't going to happen, especially if we don't want to give up a 2nd round pick, but you can always hope can't you.
Old 22.08.2015, 08:11 PM
All Pro

Oh i was right then we are going to sign Mason! glad you can see it a possibility Depending on how dmc performs/gets injured we have to think about giving up a pick i think, The whole Rams offense seems to gearing up for Gurley-huge o line, so Mason may be surplus.........
Old 22.08.2015, 09:39 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh i was right then we are going to sign Mason! glad you can see it a possibility Depending on how dmc performs/gets injured we have to think about giving up a pick i think, The whole Rams offense seems to gearing up for Gurley-huge o line, so Mason may be surplus.........
It's a bit of a pipe dream (trading for Tre Mason) but we may well need something before September is out I think. Looking around the league for possible trade partners these look like the only candidates, but even then I'm not sure they'd want to part with their players:

Cleveland Browns: Terrance West, Isaiah Crowell, Duke Johnson
St Louis Rams: Todd Gurley, Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham
New Orleans Saints: Mark Ingram, CJ Spiller, Khiry Robinson
Denver Broncos: CJ Anderson, Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman
San Francisco 49ers: Carlos Hyde, Reggie Bush, Mike Davis, Kendall Hunter

The problem is finding someone better than what we already have, and if they are better than Randle or McFadden (and Dunbar) then teams will probably be happy to keep them, especially at this time of year.

I can see us just continuing to turn the bottom of the roster over in the hope of finding someone who can help. It's not really the talent that's lacking, it's the durability. If you could say Randle, McFadden and, Gus Johnson would be healthy for 16 games it might be enough. Is that going to happen though.............
Old 23.08.2015, 10:12 AM
All Pro

Personally i,d love to see Jonathan Stewart running behind our o line-that wont happen of course, i watched him a couple of times last season and was very impressed, even behind an average line. We might as you say get away with mixing it up with the 3 backs if fit, better to have 3 decent backs rather than none at all!
Old 23.08.2015, 10:56 AM
All Pro

Asiata seems to be 3rd string at Vikes......
Old 23.08.2015, 01:11 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Asiata seems to be 3rd string at Vikes......
I suppose you have to put yourself in the shoes of the other team. If the Vikings lost Peterson for any length of time what would they have left?

I think a team would need 4 RB's of decent quality to consider trading one.

A lot of people seem to be saying they think 'a RB who'll play a big part isn't on the Cowboys roster yet'. The thing is there aren't a whole host of RB's just waiting around to be picked up. Ahmad Bradshaw is available (I think), but why haven't the other 31 teams in the league shown any interest in him? Steven Jackson was tweeting how the Cowboys should give him a call, again why hasn't anyone else shown an interest? I get the feeling the '........isn't on the roster yet' answer translates to 'I have no idea who they can add who will actually help'.
Old 24.08.2015, 08:16 AM
Hall of Fame

At least our Punter go some work................

Last night didn't make for great viewing as a Cowboys fan. It's only Pre Season, but our back-ups don't seem to be out performing their back-ups very often.

Based solely on last night I'd say Jameill Showers has more chance of making the roster than Dustin Vaughn. Showers has a decent arm, and he has more mobility in the pocket, plus he makes plays on Special Teams. Vaughn is in his 2nd year, but i don't see much progression. Perhaps Showers was more suited to last nights game when the protection starts to break down, but you have to wonder if Showers has a higher potential ceiling.

The front 4 continue to show disruptive promise, regardless of whether it's the starters or the back up's. Coleman, Gardner, Gregory and Crawford all had their moments. A key for Gardner is finishing the play. He does his best work inside, against the run, but he hasn't got the longest of arms so sometimes he falls off the tackle.

La'el Collins saw more time at LG. He looks like he did on his college tape to me, scrappy. It's not picture perfect, but he manages to get the job done, just. He hasn't got the strength to maul NFL linemen, and his anchor isn't quite strong enough to just sit down on the rush, but he fights to stay in the play. He does do a good job of passing on, and picking up blocks, and it appears he has the awareness and timing to know when to switch. Hopefully he continues to acclimatise and improve, but I don't see him beating out Leary at this rate though.

On 'foreign player watch' - Jarod Hayne seems to have a good chance of sticking to the 49ers roster. His ability in the open field and his ball handling skills showed he's a threat on Special Teams at the very least. Efa Obade showed some promise too I thought on his snaps in the 4th quarter. It's not like he was facing off against Joe Thomas, but he more than held his own against his man and showed the potential to be disruptive when he had the chance.

Looking ahead, the offence needs to be much more convincing next time out..............
Old 24.08.2015, 08:15 PM
All Pro

Glad i didnt see it, by all accounts Weems had a mare which doesnt bode well for a back up tackle, theres talk of moving Martin around if needs be, but dont think its time to panic yet, suddenly we look a bit short on the o line still time to improve but we need to i think, Collins is not ready maybe a next year player? i,m sure we will be ready come first game just a bit less confident at the mo....
Old 24.08.2015, 08:44 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Glad i didnt see it, by all accounts Weems had a mare which doesnt bode well for a back up tackle, theres talk of moving Martin around if needs be, but dont think its time to panic yet, suddenly we look a bit short on the o line still time to improve but we need to i think, Collins is not ready maybe a next year player? i,m sure we will be ready come first game just a bit less confident at the mo....
The O line is a unit, if one piece fails to do it's job, then more pressure is placed on others, then things start to fall apart quickly. I wouldn't say Weems was clearly worse than anyone else, the pressure came from a few places.
I don't see Martin being moved. To be honest he's a steadying influence at RG, and it's not as if Weems is expected to start. We aren't short on the O line, it's just the back ups are exactly that.....back ups.

The whole offence failed to function really. I'm curious to see what they do with the starters in these last 2 games. They clearly need to see more action than they have, but I wouldn't have thought they'd like them to have to play too much in the final Pre Season game.