Training Camp - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 25.08.2015, 07:55 PM
All Pro

Yes but it would be nice to have a back up who can do a job bearing in mind Frees injury/age and seemingly no one to take the place of Smith should he be out, i think we really need to step it up the next game, especially the running game, time is getting short reciever/TE dont worry me and the D is lookin ok, Romo needs to put in a half and see what happens
Old 26.08.2015, 10:33 AM
Hall of Fame

We'd be relatively lucky with injuries......until now. Orlando Scandrick lost for the year after tearing his ACL & MCL.

Just when the defence seems to be coming together too. The pressure is on the remaining CB's now. They all have their own 'asterisks' though; Mo (injury/expectation), Carr (contract), Patmon (inexperience), Jones (shoulder issues/rookie learning curve), and Corey White (19 starts in 3 seasons).

I'm guessing this means we only carry 9 DB's now - Carr, Claibourne, Patmon, Jones, White, Church, Wilcox, Heath and McCray. Not sure we've seen (know) enough about the other DB's on the roster to say they would take the place of a 10th D lineman or 4th TE/FB.

That pass rush rotation is all the more important now we've lost some of our ability to sustain coverage!
Old 29.08.2015, 10:58 AM
Hall of Fame

RJ Dill gets a 4 game suspension then. Hardly earth-shattering if we're honest, but perhaps it may have a slight influence on the cuts from 90 to 75 due on Tuesday.

Once the Vikings game is in the books it might be time to take a closer look at what the final 53 man roster might look like. If starters emerge from their run outs unscathed then it should be a little easier to piece things together.
Old 30.08.2015, 09:45 AM
All Pro

Dill was practice squad at best by the sounds of it, at the mo there are 14 O linemen on the roster, will they keep all of them come 1st Sept? still worrying if Frederick gets hurt at center, especially if back ups like Mcdermott are fumbling the ball!
Old 30.08.2015, 10:47 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Dill was practice squad at best by the sounds of it, at the mo there are 14 O linemen on the roster, will they keep all of them come 1st Sept? still worrying if Frederick gets hurt at center, especially if back ups like Mcdermott are fumbling the ball!
The fumble last night was perhaps more on Showers imo. Still, I agree, losing Frederick would really upset the apple cart. That's the same for all teams though I'd imagine, your back ups are never starting quality.....or they'd start.

Worried about Randle as a pass blocker after last night. On the first drive Anthony Barr just went right through him. Barr might have 50lbs on Randle, but it was all too easy, and Romo got sacked. If Randle is in he's better off as a receiving option to combat the pass rush in a different way.

MacFadden looked decisive running the ball though. He's just got to stay healthy now.

Special Teams was another mixed bag. Well, mixed bag may be a little harsh, but the play on the kick return TD by Patterson left a lot to be desired.

As for the cuts, I just had a quick look at the roster. It's quite hard to find 15 obvious candidates. They have 11 WR's at the moment, so I'd guess 2 or 3 of them will go. Despite the uncertainty at RB at least 1 of those will go. Dill and maybe Patrick from the OL. I think they have 17 DL, so it wouldn't surprise me to see 2 interior guys and 2 edge rushers go, so that's another 4. That's 10. Throw in a couple of LB's and a DB or two and you are almost there. Perhaps they cut down to 3 QB's too.
Old 31.08.2015, 07:40 PM
Hall of Fame

First 5 cuts in, no surprises..........

Tom Hornsey - P
Casey Kreiter - LS
Robert Steeples - CB
Phil Bates - WR
Carlif Taylor - DT
Old 01.09.2015, 08:31 PM
All Pro

Also Bardon TE, and Dill, Boatright
Old 01.09.2015, 08:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Not great surprises, as expected. At the end of the day this is a cut to 75, the cut to 53 will be more interesting.

I thought they might cut Gates before Goodley at WR, but it depends what they have in mind for the final pre season game. Bryant, Williams, Beasley and Street will obviously make the 53, then it's perhaps 2 from Whitehead, Jenkins, Harwell and Gates. Imo the first 2 are in the driving seat if they carry 6 WR's.
Old 02.09.2015, 06:51 PM
All Pro

Jenkins seems to be hot at the mo, like you say the next cut will be carrying a few shocks, i,ve got my o line anyway working on 9...the first 5 obvious, Collins-needs to brush up but onr for the future, Weems, struggling a bit but improving, Bernadeau and i think they will stick by Green, Gibson and Mcdermott on practice squad. 2 qbs in Romo and Griffin 3 oooops and about 10 running backs... hope Obada makes it even if its just practice squad.
Old 04.09.2015, 11:43 AM
Hall of Fame

With the last Pre Season game in the books, here's a shot at the final 53*

(* I'm not sure how it works in terms of Hardy/McClain being on the final 53 - obviously they can't play, but I'm not sure what 'list' they would be placed on and if that list frees up a roster spot until they are 'activated' again. So this might be 2 players short).

QB - Romo, Weeden: Simple, we haven't got anyone else worth carrying.

HB - McFadden, Randle, Dunbar, Johnson: It's what we have. Ben Malena played well again, but he won't displace the first 3 guys and Gus the Bus offers more in terms of grinding out yards.

FB - Clutts: We need a FB

WR - Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Street, Whitehead: 3 are obvious, Street gets another chance. Whitehead helps in the return game.

TE - Witten, Escobar, Hannah, Swaim: It comes down to keeping Swaim or not, and I don't think we'll admit to getting trigger happy at TE in the draft yet again and cut him.

OL - Smith, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Free, Bernadeau, Collins, Weems: Similar to TE in that carrying an extra guy here is uncertain, but are they prepared to put the swing tackle responsibility on Collins? I doubt it. Chaz Green is still a question mark too.

DL - Crawford, Lawrence, Hayden, Mincey, Gregory, Crawford (J), Coleman, Russell, McClain, (Hardy): I'm not sure if they need to include Hardy or not, but if they do that's 10 D linemen. I like Ben Gardner, but I think his ceiling is lower than Russell's, even if he is more consistent.

LB - Lee, Hitchens, Wilson, Wilbur, McClain, Gachkar, Smith: Again, not sure if they need to register McClain in the 53, but this gives them 7 LB's.

DB - Church, Wilcox, Carr, Claibourne, Jones, White, Patmon, Heath, McCray: A bit short on CB's, but this is what we have to choose from. Tim Scott is unlucky to miss out perhaps as he showed up in Pre Season games at times.

ST - Bailey, Jones, L.P:
Straight forward.

* If they have an extra couple of spots due to Hardy/McClain then i'd say it comes down to 4 guys - Edwards (DE), Gardner (DE), Brinkley (LB), Tim Scott (DB). I'd expect Edwards would get the nod over Gardner.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 04.09.2015 at 11:45 AM.