Possible 2018 IS games leak. - Page 8 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 02.01.2018, 05:23 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcapp96 View Post
Notice how I said 'passport etc' meaning passports are just one element. It could cost the average fan a significant amount of money, not something they can just dig out at a few weeks notice, as well as arranging leave. They home fans giving up a game are going to be angry enough so the NFL will give them as much notice so they can attend as they can.
Like Chicago and Tampa Bay fans had in 2011?

What do fans of East/west coast teams who would like to visit the other coast do? They would still have to wait until the schedule is released in April to make definitive plans.
Old 02.01.2018, 08:09 AM
Team Captain

I’ve always presumed that the only reason that the announce the London games early is to sell the tickets early. Simple as that
Old 02.01.2018, 08:33 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domed Outter View Post
Like Chicago and Tampa Bay fans had in 2011?

What do fans of East/west coast teams who would like to visit the other coast do? They would still have to wait until the schedule is released in April to make definitive plans.
The 2011 game was announced at the earliest opportunity due to potential strike action and all fans of East and west coast teams already know their team will play on the other coast next season as all opponents are know, and most have been for some time, so can start saving and book when the dates are announced. I'm really not sure why people have such a hard time thinking the NFL might take the fans of the teams involved in the IS games into consideration when announcing!
Old 02.01.2018, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

If the NFL really wanted to take into consideration the thoughts of the American fans of the teams involved, there wouldn't even be an International Series. These overseas games are deeply unpopular in the USA. It's all about the money with the NFL.
Old 02.01.2018, 09:52 AM
Pro

All Sport is money driven now. squeeze every last penny out of us!
Old 02.01.2018, 12:24 PM
All Pro

I don't really buy the passport thing. Less than 10% of fans come over from the US, and what percentage of those don't have a passport? Plus even if you announced it later how long would it actually take? The league doesn't have an issue with players potentially only knowing late summer so I don't see why fans need to know much earlier on passport grounds
Old 02.01.2018, 05:34 PM
Team Captain

For the record, you can get an expedited US passport (paying extra money) in three weeks. When mine had expired, I paid $170 and had it sent to me eleven days later. For a normal passport, I think they say it takes six weeks or so but odds are they'll send it sooner than that.
Old 02.01.2018, 05:49 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Notice how I said 'passport etc' meaning passports are just one element. It could cost the average fan a significant amount of money, not something they can just dig out at a few weeks notice, as well as arranging leave. They home fans giving up a game are going to be angry enough so the NFL will give them as much notice so they can attend as they can.
To me that's the big one. Most Americans only get two weeks vacation time. (I know that's terrible compared to Europe.) For the fans that are looking fwd to going to an overseas game to watch their team, you're asking them to hold off on planning any holidays for the year until late April and that team MIGHT be chosen to for an IS game. Even though we're the minority of the people who attend these games, that's quite an inconvenience.

And as for East Coast/West coast road trips for fans. It's a big event but I'd think most fans would stay for 2-4 days or so and make a long weekend out of it. To the UK, after a long, expensive flight (10 hrs from the West Coast) you need at least a week there (and to me that's cutting it short) to justify the cost of the flight and to enjoy new things over there.
Old 02.01.2018, 06:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The 2011 game was announced at the earliest opportunity due to potential strike action and all fans of East and west coast teams already know their team will play on the other coast next season as all opponents are know, and most have been for some time, so can start saving and book when the dates are announced. I'm really not sure why people have such a hard time thinking the NFL might take the fans of the teams involved in the IS games into consideration when announcing!
So if I, for example as someone who has to block book two sets of holidays every year so as to avoid missing games here/able to pick games at stadiums I haven't been to before. That means guessing whilst booking the time off in January, and if I need to move my time off I may not be able to (luckily the season doesn't take place in June, July, or august!).

Generally after doing research in advance, you can estimate how much a week, two weeks would cost including flights, tickets, hotels.

So is there much difference in West coast based fans booking for east coast/London games?

Ideally they shouldn't need nearly three months to organise the schedules but that's what it is. There are 252 other games to take into account as well, so it seems more to the point of the whole schedule and not just the games over here.
Old 02.01.2018, 11:45 PM
MVP

Quote:
Why do they announce the Mexico game in February then?