CheshireMulishas Mock Draft - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 26.02.2014, 10:06 AM
All Pro

Default CheshireMulishas Mock Draft

With the combine over here's V1 of my 7 round mock. The notes were made whilst I was watching tape etc. so they may not all make sense! I'm also working off the assumption that we get a 3rd and 5th compensatory pick. My current top 10 off the board (In no order) are: Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, Watkins, Matthews, Robinson, Clowney, Mack, Gilbert & Barr.
I've also included for most a video along with the players shirt number for your viewing convenience

1- Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
Evans will probably be the 2nd receiver off the board. Although I don't think he'll go in the top 10 there a chance he could get snagged by the Titans/Giants/Rams. Big tall physical receiver that makes plays. He doesnt possess the speed to get the separation but he uses his strength and size to box out defenders and win the ball. Needs to improve his route running. Combined stats against Alabama & Auburn last year were 566 yards & 5 tds. Will be a beast in the red zone!
Number 13 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqX0e7iSM2I

Other considerations: Lewan, Lee, Dennard, Clinton-Dix, Ebron & Mosely. Out of all of them I think Ebron is my current 2nd fave / most value at 15.

2- Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
Fuller could go as soon as the 3rd corner off the board or last as long as the 6th. He impressed me at the combine and has the tape to back it up. Has good size and plays physical. Lacks elite corner speed but makes up for it with his instincts. Good in run support and should be able to contribute on sub-packages and special teams from day 1 with a ceiling of starting on the outside in a year or 2.
Number 17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8o-aandA74

Other considerations - Van Noy, Robison, Cooks

3(compensatory)- Dion Bailey S USC
Bit of a reach that Bailey will last to the end of the 3rd as depending on where I've looked I've seen him given a 2nd-4th round grade. Who better to take over from Troy when he finally hangs up the cleats than a member of his alma mater. Bailey played linebacker in college before moving to safety so he could become the moving chess piece in the D like Troy. Give him a year to sit behind and learn from the master and he can become a decent nfl safety (He won't offer the same X factor that Troy brings to the defence though)
Number 18 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guPH0PzzZPU

4- Brandon Thomas OL Clemson
Played LT at Clemson but projected to slide inside in the pros. Had a good senior bowl and played pretty well against Clowney without help. Can add depth to the interior as well as possibly playing on the outside in emergency (because our o-line never gets injured...)
Number 63 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_JBv1fsM4

5- Marcel Jenson TE Fresno State
Stand-out highschool basketball player. Not as polished as TE's like Ebron but he has a high ceiling. Has outstanding size and put up a 35inch vertical jump at the combine (2nd highest). Blocked 4 field goals at college. Can challenge for the number 2 TE spot straight away as well contributing on special teams, he's coachable so after that who knows how good he could be? Great value pick.
Number 89 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JInh3H9c2ko (Only decent amount of tape I could find, although its against inferior opposition)

5(Compensatory)- Ed Stinson DL Alabama
Tough run stopper. Doesnt offer much as a pass rusher but can play end in a 3-4 and set the edge. Read some scout reports that they think he could also play nose, but looks a bit small for that IMO.
Number 49 -

6- Howard Jones OLB Shepherd
Small school tweener pass rush prospect. Had a great combine and showed his athleticism. Will need to bulk up a bit and learn the intricacies of the linebacker position but has all the physical tools if he is willing to learn.
Number 7
I can't find any game tape on Jones, just going off his combine performance and Mayocks recommendation.

7- De'Anthony Thomas RB Oregan
Change of pace back / returner. Thomas has an abundance of speed and good hands for catching out of the backfield. Dynamic in space although not a big back so isn't going to be breaking tackles and wasn't used in pass protection in College.
Number 6 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZw4Cw8o3kY (long video is long)

Will probably do the V2 after all the pro-days & player visits followed by the final 1 just before the draft.
Thoughts?
Old 26.02.2014, 01:23 PM
All Pro

Send a message via Skype™ to steelers_wheelman

I'm not keen on the idea of us taking another WR so high up. We still have not given Wheaton a fair shake; AB and Cotch played out of their skins last year and we have our feature-back in place so we can revive our ground game. I honestly think our need is greater elsewhere.

For me, there are a couple of first round options, but some will depend on who we're bringing back this year. If we keep hold of Worilds I'm big on the idea of taking Louis Nix; I can see him eating blockers two at a time, similar to Vince Wilfork, and giving Worilds a chance to blow up as a premier pass-rushing LB.

Another option would be Eric Ebron. I've been holding off on buying a Miller jersey because I really think he's on his way out. I love the guy to bits, but unless he comes back with a vengence from his current slump, we're going to need a new star TE.

There are a number of first-round players that would also help pad out our secondary - Justin Gilbert, Clinton Dix, Darqueze Dennard - and given some of our pass-defence collapses, this is something that needs imediate attention.

I don't really know enough about college ball to go much beyond the first round, so that's all I've got for now.
Old 26.02.2014, 02:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers_wheelman View Post
I'm not keen on the idea of us taking another WR so high up. We still have not given Wheaton a fair shake; AB and Cotch played out of their skins last year and we have our feature-back in place so we can revive our ground game. I honestly think our need is greater elsewhere.

For me, there are a couple of first round options, but some will depend on who we're bringing back this year. If we keep hold of Worilds I'm big on the idea of taking Louis Nix; I can see him eating blockers two at a time, similar to Vince Wilfork, and giving Worilds a chance to blow up as a premier pass-rushing LB.

Another option would be Eric Ebron. I've been holding off on buying a Miller jersey because I really think he's on his way out. I love the guy to bits, but unless he comes back with a vengence from his current slump, we're going to need a new star TE.

There are a number of first-round players that would also help pad out our secondary - Justin Gilbert, Clinton Dix, Darqueze Dennard - and given some of our pass-defence collapses, this is something that needs imediate attention.

I don't really know enough about college ball to go much beyond the first round, so that's all I've got for now.
At the moment its all about opinions, not saying that i'm right or this is whats going to happen but i've hit 3 positions of need with the 1st 3 picks and added depth where its needed (I wanted to draft a linebacker but just couldnt find 1 I liked over other positions)

Sanders won't be back, Wheaton is untested and more suited to the slot, Cotch is also a UFA (no guarantee he wont get a bigger or longer offer on the open market) and will also be 32 next season. Whilst he is a dependable chain mover he isn't the dynamic playmaker that Evans is. Evans isnt regarded as a fast receiver but his 40 time at the combine was faster than Jerricos 10 years ago.

WR is a need and we need to retool the offence and have never been afraid of drafting playmakers in the 1st round. Short of Brown & Bell we dont really have any on the team (Hopefully Wheaton will be on that list by the end of the season)

Gilbert will be the 1st DB off the board, Dennard or Clinton-dix wouldnt be bad picks would they be the best value at 15? Same with Irish Chocolate he should be an improvement over Mcclendon, but would drafting him win us that extra game to make the playoffs?
Looking at the BPA and value of the picks alongside what impact they will have on our roster my top 3 choices for the 1st would be: Evans, Ebron & Lee (In that order).
Old 26.02.2014, 10:47 PM
Pro Bowler

nice work ! i've spent a bit of time trawling through various sites over the last couple of days and my head is spinning

i have also pencilled in a combo of WR/S/CB over the first 3 rounds.however it seems unlikely Evans will still be there when we pick

it looks a great draft to move down in this year as there doesn't seem to be the usual dropoff in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

if we stay put i would prefer to go Pryor/Dix in the 1st and take advantage of the depth of WR in the 2nd/3rd.the more i see of Pryor the more i like him

all the above though depends on us being able to keep Worilds
Old 27.02.2014, 10:17 AM
All Pro

Seriously nice work man, wish I had the time to do as much research as that, my knowledge of this year's draft class really doesn't go beyond round 1.

I do agree with the Wheelman in that while Evans is an attractive prospect, our needs in the secondary outweigh those in the WR corps, so maybe the likes of Clinton Dix would be more appropriate.

You do mention that you would have loved to draft a LB but couldn't find one over your existing picks, but surely a fit again Sean Spence would essentially be like a new signing, assuming he can stay healthy?

Again though, great job.
Old 27.02.2014, 02:10 PM
All Pro

The reason why I don't think we'll go defensive back in the 1st is that they won't come in and play straight away and there is more depth further down the draft that we can work with going forward.
There are 3 or 4 really talented corners that we could pick up in the 2nd and I've developed a massive ****** for Bailey over the last couple of weeks. (good article on him here http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...me-to-polamalu)

Looking outside the big 3 receivers the only receivers in later rounds I like as outside guys are Donte Moncrief or Davante Adams. Risky to think that either would be there at the bottom of the 3rd (cant trade compensatorys either)
I'm not a fan of Benjamin and his combine didn't do anything to change my mind although I would gamble on him with a 3rd.
Its not too much of a hope that Evans will still be on the board when we pick. And if he is off the board then I'd love us to pickup Ebron, hes head and shoulders above other TEs in the draft and looks a better prospect than Eifert did 12months ago.
Old 27.02.2014, 02:14 PM
All Pro

Also, would be interested to see a few other peoples 7 round mock (Or if you don't feel comfortable doing all 7 do a 3 rounder or something)
Old 27.02.2014, 08:45 PM
Pro Bowler

predraft, theres always going to be a lot of variables involved in the decision making process and i think this year it is true for us more than ever

i think its not a bad idea to look at what we are going to have before we decide what we can go out and get

my list of things that need dealing with before the draft on offense would include-

OLB - can we keep Worilds? if not do we feel ok going forward with Jarvis,Woodley and Chris Carter.Jarvis must surely improve on last season but do we still see him as a future superstar?,probably not,to be honest.Woodley can't be counted on and Carter looked pretty hopeless.If we cant keep Worlids this becomes possibly our biggest need.

Secondary - Clarks gone.Ike and Troy have a limited shelf-life.Will Gay overperformed last season but he's not going to improve on what he is.Hopefully Cortez can develop and become a strong starter.What do we have in Shamarko and Golden?The thing i keep coming back to is Thomas lack of height.The TE'S in this league are only going to get bigger

This is seen as a strong year for cornerbacks however it is seen as a position where it is difficult to make an impact in the 1st year.do we get lucky and end up with a Peterson/Haden or is it going to be Clairborne/Millner pick who struggles early?I dont think we have much of a choice,we have to go CB in the 1st 3.I would also like to see us pick up a safety early

D-line

with the possible loss of Keisel and Hood we are looking for a starter along the line.we do have some unproven young athletic players like Nick Williams,Al Woods and Arnfelt.i think,due to more pressing needs we look to add only a mid/late draft choice or cheap free agent

ILB

We could do with a better partner for Timmons.However like the D-line i think we kinda have to make do.Williams got thrown in at the deep end last year.lets hope benefits from the unexpected number of snaps he received

Once again though for me the key is to secure the OLB position
Old 27.02.2014, 09:03 PM
Pro Bowler

2- Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
Fuller could go as soon as the 3rd corner off the board or last as long as the 6th. He impressed me at the combine and has the tape to back it up. Has good size and plays physical. Lacks elite corner speed but makes up for it with his instincts. Good in run support and should be able to contribute on sub-packages and special teams from day 1 with a ceiling of starting on the outside in a year or 2.
Number 17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8o-aandA74

Other considerations - Van Noy, Robison, Cooks

Heard a lot of positive comments lately from the pundits on this guy

you have obviously done a bit of research so far so a couple of questions if i may

the corners get ranked regardless of suitabilty for a particular scheme.any thoughts on which would be a better fit for us and who who isn't.

also which player currently have played a different scheme but coukld make the transition
Old 27.02.2014, 10:29 PM
All Pro

I think we'll go with the Ebron kid if still available, his ceiling is high and he interviewed well, and he said good things about Tomlin. Good character too.

Miller's career is coming to a close, and the importance of a dominant pass catching TE can't be overlooked. He looks like a pro bowler in the making.

If that doesn't pan out, we pick either Dix or the Louisville Safety Pryor - edging towards pryor, i know the safety class is quite deep, but both these guys stand out. The back end of this defense has been devoid of a big pick since Troy,... in this pass happy league it's time, if not in round 1, we needs someone in the first 4 picks.