CheshireMulishas Mock Draft - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 28.02.2014, 11:36 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post
2- Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
Fuller could go as soon as the 3rd corner off the board or last as long as the 6th. He impressed me at the combine and has the tape to back it up. Has good size and plays physical. Lacks elite corner speed but makes up for it with his instincts. Good in run support and should be able to contribute on sub-packages and special teams from day 1 with a ceiling of starting on the outside in a year or 2.
Number 17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8o-aandA74

Other considerations - Van Noy, Robison, Cooks

Heard a lot of positive comments lately from the pundits on this guy

you have obviously done a bit of research so far so a couple of questions if i may

the corners get ranked regardless of suitabilty for a particular scheme.any thoughts on which would be a better fit for us and who who isn't.

also which player currently have played a different scheme but coukld make the transition
I think most corners are athletic enough to play in any system in the NFL (especially the top ranked guys), the main question is are they going to be an outside or inside guy?

The top corner on the board is Gilbert, he will probably be a top 10 pick. Hes fast & physical and has ballhawking skills that will generate turnovers. He had a great combine, putting up a top 40yard time and looked really smooth in the positional drills.
Next on the board is Dennard who a lot of people are mocking to us. His 40 time at the combine wasn't as impressive compared to Gilbert (think he had a slightly tight hamstring so will have to see what he does in his pro day) but he has similar coverage skills (very physical) and is better in run support.

After them 2 the guys that could go late 1st or in the 2nd are guys like Verrett (fast but undersized, could be a number 2 corner), Roby (another fast physical corner, 1st round talent but has off-field/character issues. Skill wise I prefer him to Fuller but the off field issues are a concern), Fuller (good size & instincts. Plays physical.), Roberson (not the fastest and at 6 foot still looks like he needs to grow into his frame. Plays hard and physical), Purifoy (disappointing combine has damaged his stock & I wouldnt feel comfortable taking him in the 2nd. He has upside but looks very boom or bust)

Late 2nd/3rd round onwards prospects that could develop into starting corners include players like EJ Gaines, Breeland, Jean-Baptiste, Desir, Allen & Phillip Gaines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Towel View Post
I think we'll go with the Ebron kid if still available, his ceiling is high and he interviewed well, and he said good things about Tomlin. Good character too.

Miller's career is coming to a close, and the importance of a dominant pass catching TE can't be overlooked. He looks like a pro bowler in the making.

If that doesn't pan out, we pick either Dix or the Louisville Safety Pryor - edging towards pryor, i know the safety class is quite deep, but both these guys stand out. The back end of this defense has been devoid of a big pick since Troy,... in this pass happy league it's time, if not in round 1, we needs someone in the first 4 picks.
Yeah Ebron will be a pro bowler. Think Jimmy Graham style receiver who can also block.
I like Pryor and Dix, they are the top 2 safetys in the draft. The problem with Pryor is that for all his good points (physical, aggressive, good instincts etc.) I just see Clarke v2.0. He isn't disciplined and appears to be headhunting for the big hit all the time. Dix isn't as aggressive or physical but I think he is the more rounded safety. He's a solid tackler and good in coverage. Neither look like ballhawks though that are going to generate turnovers. Which is why I would rather take 1 of the elite playmakers in the 1st and then pickup somebody like Loston or Bailey in a later round as the drop off from Dix/Pryor to them isnt that great.

Presuming Clarke goes, who do we think will start this year? Thomas/Golden/Free agent/Draft pick
Old 28.02.2014, 08:47 PM
Starter

Wow chesh you may be an even bigger nerd than me (take it as a compliment!)my mock doesn't go as long or in depth as yours(which is very good & well argued) #1 Clinton dix #2 safarian Jenkins #3 Shayne skov #4 Daniel mccullers #5 ej Gaines #6 seantrel Henderson #7 dri archer sorry no bios ala chesh but I'm sure you'll here all about all these players in the course of the next few months
Old 02.03.2014, 04:38 PM
Pro Bowler

I suppose our interest in Delmas indicates we aren't looking to promote from within.Thomas seems to be viewed as more of a SS.In trading for an experienced FS on a couple of previous occasions we have shown that we value experience at the position
Old 02.03.2014, 05:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Regarding Sean Spence

I read somewhere that as well as doing his ligaments he also sustained a type of nerve damage which is almost impossible to come back from

Hopefully he proves the experts wrong but even if he does reach full fitness it we are still unsure of what we have
Old 03.03.2014, 08:56 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul birkitt View Post
Wow chesh you may be an even bigger nerd than me (take it as a compliment!)my mock doesn't go as long or in depth as yours(which is very good & well argued) #1 Clinton dix #2 safarian Jenkins #3 Shayne skov #4 Daniel mccullers #5 ej Gaines #6 seantrel Henderson #7 dri archer sorry no bios ala chesh but I'm sure you'll here all about all these players in the course of the next few months
Nice mock, would be happy with that as well.
I think Mccullers has a high ceiling and has a lot more value drafting him in the 4th over Nix in round 1. Talent wise Henderson would be a steal in round 6, but he has had a lot of off field issues so not sure if we'd take that gamble.
Old 26.04.2014, 04:29 PM
Starter

Ok 2 week to go chesh,I'll have another go!#1 Barr #2nix #3 desir #4 moncrieff #5 Maoro #5 cockerill cb #6 Coleman wr Rutgers #6 bullough #7top punter dont no his name!

Last edited by paul birkitt; 27.04.2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 27.04.2014, 04:23 PM
Pro Bowler

after seeing someone do something similar last year i thought i'd look into the relevance of the private meetings we have held with individual players.

first of all i had a look at last year.here is a list of the players we had in last year by position and where they eventually landed

R O LB
1 17 JARVIS JONES
2 52 jamie collins
2 56 arthur brown
3 66 sio moore
4 117 khaseem greene
4 127 malicah goodman
4 129 john simon

R O RB
2 48 LEVEON BELL
2 61 eddie lacy
3 62 christian michael
4 125 jonathon franklin

R O WR
4 102 josh boyce
5 161 taverres king
6 186 JUSTIN BROWN

R O QB
ryan griffin - undrafted

R O Safety
4 105 duke williams
4 111 SHAMARKO THOMAS
4 119 phillip thomas

R O CB
1 25 xavier rhodes
3 70 blidi wreh-wilson
3 93 will davis
4 114 bw webb
5 138 tharold simon
5 143 jonathan meekes

R O TE
4 106 dion sims
keavon milton

R O OL
NICK EMBERNATE - undrafted,then picked up as a free-agent.

for all the talk of smokescreens it seems that we can get a fair idea of pre-draft strategy.out of 27 private visits we ended up with 5 players.in addition to this we also attended Landry Jones proday

a couple of other things also stood out for me.despite having in 6 CB'S in,we waited until the 5th to select one.maybe the ones we fancied were getting picked up just ahead of us.

i couldn't find any real mention of Marcus Wheaton being linked with Pittsburgh predraft.maybe there was as change of strategy due to concerns over retaining Sanders long-term.not sure how the time line meshes with this.

we only had in 2 players who were drafted in the 1st.it seems suprising not to have more,unless we had someone lined up who was considered a reach.it looks as though Jarvis was our clear no.1 choice.Also Bell would seem to have been the first choice at RB

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 27.04.2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 27.04.2014, 08:17 PM
Pro Bowler

here is a list of this years private visits with a third party overall draft ranking

R O CB
1 14 darqueze dennard
1 27 kyle fuller
1 29 jason verrett
1 32 bradley roby
2 57 phillip gaines
5 149 ross cockrell
5 169 shaquil richardson

R O WR
1 18 odell beckham jr
2 39 donte moncrief
2 50 martavis brtyant
2 56 kelvin benjamin
3 90 bruce ellington
x 285 quincy enunwa

R O OLB
1 12 anthony barr
1 23 ryan shazier
2 43 demarcus lawrence
2 49 scott crichton
2 69 carl bradford
3 89 jackson jeffcoat
4 115 jordan zumwalt
6 190 kevin pierre-louis

R O S
1 21 calvin pryor
3 84 deonne buchannon
5 141 brock vereen

R O DE
1 13 aaron donald
2 33 rashede hagemann
2 40 stephen tuitt

R O RB
4 102 lache seastrunk
4 137 jerick mckinnon

R O NT
x 449 beau allen

R O OT
5 146 seantrel henderson

R O TE
x 348 rob blanchflower

no suprises here with the biggest focus being on CB,WR and LB.

also Calvin Pryor must surely be a non-starter now.

in contrast to last year there are much more 1st/2nd rounders listed which would seem to be common sense.

and so if last years draft is anything to go by we should be seeing a few of the above in Steelers uni's.

fingers crossed that we find the our future Woodson and Lloyd amongst them!

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 28.04.2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 30.04.2014, 09:58 PM
MVP

If Dennard is still there I'm sure they are gonna select him. From his YouTube videos he just looks like a Steeler. That said, and for what it is worth i.e. not a lot, Todd McShay's latest mock has Dennard off the board by 15, to Tennessee.
Old 01.05.2014, 09:16 AM
All Pro

I did plan to have v2 out by now but I've just been too busy. Will probably post my final mock next week before the draft starts. Expect changes in most rounds!