Big Red Thread (Cardinals) - Page 46 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 21.04.2009, 10:48 PM
All Pro

Anybody see Beanie Wells or Moreno dropping to you?
Old 22.04.2009, 05:49 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Anybody see Beanie Wells or Moreno dropping to you?
Who knows with the draft. But if the Cards dont get any run blockers, then the next Barry Sanders could drop and the Cards should pass.
Old 22.04.2009, 10:22 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to nfljunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
Who knows with the draft. But if the Cards dont get any run blockers, then the next Barry Sanders could drop and the Cards should pass.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Getting to the Super Bowl, Larry Fitz and Kurt masked what was probably the worst all-round OL in the NFL.
The issue regarding upgrading the running game is that it's the interior which is the problem not the tackles. Both Gandy and Brown are decent enough in the running game they just both stink it up as pass protectors (although Levi did get a little better as the season went on). Both guards need an upgrade but you're not going to do that in the first round and upgrading the tackles will help the passing attack but is unlikely to help the run.

I haven't got a clue whose available because I don't watch NCAA but if a 3-4 OLB to get pressure on the QB was available that's another consideration.
Old 22.04.2009, 11:49 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfljunky View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Getting to the Super Bowl, Larry Fitz and Kurt masked what was probably the worst all-round OL in the NFL.
The issue regarding upgrading the running game is that it's the interior which is the problem not the tackles. Both Gandy and Brown are decent enough in the running game they just both stink it up as pass protectors (although Levi did get a little better as the season went on). Both guards need an upgrade but you're not going to do that in the first round and upgrading the tackles will help the passing attack but is unlikely to help the run.

I haven't got a clue whose available because I don't watch NCAA but if a 3-4 OLB to get pressure on the QB was available that's another consideration.
I think Gandy and Wells are more than fine as pass blockers. The right side of the line struggled all year. And as a unit they all struggled in run blocking.
The only really bad game Gandy had all year was the Superbowl. And quite a few LTs have struggled with the Pitts pass rush.

The stats bear out that the pass blocking is at least OK. Yes KW was hit too many times, but the stats put up by the passing game as a whole (Three 1000 yard receivers), show that it wasnt all that bad.
Old 22.04.2009, 12:26 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to nfljunky

Quote:
I think Gandy and Wells are more than fine as pass blockers. The right side of the line struggled all year. And as a unit they all struggled in run blocking.
The only really bad game Gandy had all year was the Superbowl. And quite a few LTs have struggled with the Pitts pass rush.

The stats bear out that the pass blocking is at least OK. Yes KW was hit too many times, but the stats put up by the passing game as a whole (Three 1000 yard receivers), show that it wasnt all that bad.
I think that's the issue, going back to the stats doesn't give you the whole picture. A lot of people think Tony Ugoh and Jamal Brown are good pass blockers because they hardly give up any sacks but thats a funtion of the QB in both cases. You need to take into account hits and pressures to get a full picture and whilst we don't have all the Cardinals games in 14 is pretty representative.

Gandy
Drop-backs: 602
Sacks: 6
Hits: 17
Pressures: 32
Penalties: 7

Wells
Sacks: 2
Hits: 6
Pressures: 22
Penalties: 3

Sendlein
Sacks: 2
Hits: 9
Pressures: 10
Penalties: 4

Lutui
Drop-backs: 593
Sacks: 4
Hits: 9
Pressures: 19

Brown
Drop-backs: 601
Sacks: 11
Hits: 16
Pressures: 29

Whichever way you read it, every member of the OL was well below the NFL average.

As for the Super Bowl, while Gandy had a lot of penalty problems he had worse days in pass protection..... the game by game break-down is here: http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_p...y&playerid=834
Old 22.04.2009, 03:08 PM
MVP

On a positive note.
thats pretty much 2 1/2 years where the O line is set. Very few injuries, and where they absolutley had no peers in the worst O line unit in 2006, they have at least progressed through the mediocre stage to become acceptable. Partially thanks to Russ grimm having the time to coach them, but mostly IMO due to longevity and working as a unit.
The first 8 ganmes in 2006, I think the Cards had 8 different starting 5s. And both Warner and leinart spent part of that year on IR. It got better in 07, but still saw injuries to both QBs, and then last year luckily KW put in an (IMO) MVP type season.

This year I think depth will again be addressed in the draft, or a trade involving a starting LT, could see Gandy moved over to RT.
Our 7th round pick last year Brandon Keith was pushing for a starting spot over Lutui by the end of the year. My tip is he will be a starter by week 6 at the latest.

If Pettigrew is gone by the time the Cards pick, and I expect he will be. Then Mack or Unger would be a decent bet fore the Cards pick at 31, even if those RBs are there also. Sendelien did improve, and is a decent enough back up. But the Cards really could upgrade with one of those two.

It all depends on what you believe in the build up to the draft. Many experts are plumping for a running back in the first round. My suspision is the Cards keep Edge, as this years RBs are pretty much of a muchness, and they draft one in 2010.
And its the D that really struggled at times, and ultimately in the Superbowl. they had plenty of chances to stop the Pitts final drive, but came up just short.
If the Cards dont trade with the Giants for Osi (muted in some corners), then the first pick could well be a DE/OLB.

If I had to put a £1 on it, I would back getting a Centre, and lay any price about a RB. Because the cards are saying RB this RB that. It either means they arent really looking there (my guess) or its a double bluff, and they want people to think the same as me, and will in fact pull the trigger on a Beanie type.
Old 27.04.2009, 01:09 AM
All Pro

With the draft over and the cardinals having a very quiet time on the trade front ( i was still hoping for a Boldin for Osi trade with the Giants)... im relatively pleased with what the cards got.

Chris "Beanie" Wells (RB) is just what we needed and with Timmy Hightower appearing on third downs our running offense just got improved imo.

Cody Brown (LB) fills a need as we are short of youth at that position and he should over time get be a good starter

Rashad Johnson (S) was somewhat of a surprise pick, the cards have numbers at the position and i had personally expected him to go early in the 3rd round.... good value and a intelligent player by the sounds of it.

Greg Toler (CB), the new DRC? Not quite but he will have the chance to be a very good backup if nothing else with quality not always high in that position.... will be on special teams with him supposedly having a knack of blocking kicks.

Herman Johnson (G) is an absolute mountain at 6foot7 and 382, he has been compared to Leonard Davis.. heres hoping he doesn't play like Davis... a project i feel Grimm will work on as such.

Will Davis (DE) ?

LaRod Stephens-Howling (RB/KR) Im hoping for a Hightower type story here, if he makes the team it will because of his kick return ability... similar build to Sproles

Trevor Canfield (G) Practice squad i would expect at most

B+ Grade for the card imo, we kept Boldin (for now) and have added a RB which was a must, the rest of the picks added depth to the defense and O-Line. I was expecting a tightend to be taken in the 3rd/4th though.

Last edited by howedan; 27.04.2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: cleaning up
Old 27.04.2009, 02:19 PM
MVP

I would give them a B-

Not thrilled with the injury prone running back in the 1st.

Loving the 3rd round pick. I think the $10 million roster bonus Rolle is due next year could be the reason for this pick, and possibly (heracy of heracies) in case the Cards and A Dub cant renegotiate his contract.

I like the idea of the corner in the 4th, as he was 2nd round talent, and was the highest rated player taken in the whole of the 4th round.

No idea how Johnson made the 5th round, when he was as high as the 2nd in some mocks?? It could be the usual Whiz 5th round sleeper steal to go with Breaston and Hightower.

Some excellent BPA work, but the 1st round pick and the lack of a Center makes it a B- to me. Although I hear that Johnson has played a little Center.
Old 27.04.2009, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would give them a B-

Not thrilled with the injury prone running back in the 1st.

Loving the 3rd round pick. I think the $10 million roster bonus Rolle is due next year could be the reason for this pick, and possibly (heracy of heracies) in case the Cards and A Dub cant renegotiate his contract.

I like the idea of the corner in the 4th, as he was 2nd round talent, and was the highest rated player taken in the whole of the 4th round.

No idea how Johnson made the 5th round, when he was as high as the 2nd in some mocks?? It could be the usual Whiz 5th round sleeper steal to go with Breaston and Hightower.

Some excellent BPA work, but the 1st round pick and the lack of a Center makes it a B- to me. Although I hear that Johnson has played a little Center.
We seem to have picked up needs and in doin so pick up players who were not to far off being bpa at the time.

I'm very happy with Wells. Its not that big a gamble and it fills a massive hole on this team.

With edge gone i can see us taking two rookie rb's into the final 53 and one in his second year. Though not ideal we cant do much worse running ball and we have to start somewhere i guess.

Shame Wells wasnt the one to get a year with Edge though.
Old 29.04.2009, 06:20 AM
MVP

Edge has finally been cut, along with surprises Hood and LaBoy.

I think if Travis hadnt been so injury prone last year it may have been Chike getting cut. But along with Hood, its all about numbers. And the BPA strategy in the draft opened up these moves.

It remains to be seen if the 8.5 cap shaving is enough to do Adrian Wilsons extension andrestructure Rolle, or Boldin.

It will be interesting over the next few weeks.