Dallas Cowboys FA and Draft 2012 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 20.02.2012, 05:20 PM
All Pro

Default Dallas Cowboys FA and Draft 2012

Hey guys, thought we needed a thread to discuss the upcoming Free Agency and Draft.

Which guys do want to see re-signed/Cut.

Which Free Agents do you wanna go after?

Which positions do we hope gets addressed via the draft? And who do we want to draft?

Sounds like we have around 12m in cap space at the moment, so it could be a busy period for our FO.
Old 20.02.2012, 05:55 PM
All Pro

I suppose i'll get us started.

First off the only guys i want re-signed are - Laurent Robinson at the right price, Martellus Bennett is also worth keeping around imo. Great blocker and we'd miss him in our 2 TE sets! Both of these have to be at the right price as neither are really #1 in their position.

I'd also like Alan Ball re-signed, never gonna be a starter but good all round player and special teams demon!

All the rest can go for me, bye bye, Spencer, Brooking, James etc.

The main free agents i want us to go after are Brandon Carr, cornerback from KC. He's a massive upgrade over Newman, who will be cut (hopefully). Also one of Ben Grubbs or Carl Nicks would be fantastic and would really shore up the interior of our OL.

If we let Brooking, James and Spencer go that'd leave us short on linebackers, therefore we need a veteran LB. There are a few out there to pick from too.

With regards the draft, what we do there depends on how FA go. Hopefully we leave our roster in a position to take the best defensive player available, be that secondary or DL/OLB.

I just hope we don't back ourselves into a corner on draft day by not filling our needs through FA.

The players that really stand out for me with our 1st pick are:- Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, Janoris Jenkins and Michael Brockers.
Old 22.02.2012, 11:59 AM
Pro Bowler

I think our biggest need is in the secondary. It just looks awful and they dont seem to have a clue what theyre doing half the time.

We could upgrade our O line aswell, a good pass blocker please.

Quite happy with the running game as long as murray comes back healthy.
Old 22.02.2012, 01:09 PM
Rookie

We need to improve our secondary, i would love us to go all out and try and get Cortland Finnegan, if not him then Brandon Carr. I think we need 2 get a corner in free agency rather than the draft because besides Clairbourne i dont think the rest are 1st round picks.
Old 28.02.2012, 01:32 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman_8 View Post
The players that really stand out for me with our 1st pick are:- Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, Janoris Jenkins and Michael Brockers.
Janoris Jenkins? Talented for sure, but I can't see JJ going back down the road of taking the troubled talent again just yet.

For what it's worth, I agree with most of your assessment. I'd let James, Spencer, and Brooking go, as well as cutting Newman. Would love to hang on to Robinson, but I think he'll get an offer from elsewhere that we wouldn't want to match.

FA - Carr would be superb, but there are a few secondary options out there, and I quite like LeRon Landry at safety. Do we have enough Cap room to make a big splash in FA and go get Mario Williams to play opposite Ware?

When it comes to the Draft, well, it all depends on what we've already done at FA. I just hope we don't leave ourselves so exposed at a position that we have to chase that at the draft. At the moment there are a number of positions we could be watching to see what talent drops to us, whether that's CB, Safety (Barron wouldn't be "dropping" to us until round 2 of course), ILB, OLB, we could even take someone for the o-line like DeCastro if we want to continue adding some young blood there.

However, after all these years without an OL selected in the 1st Round by JJ, it would be strange to then do it back-to-back.
Old 28.02.2012, 05:14 PM
Team Captain

I guess a lot will also depend on our expectations for Bruce Carter next season. If we can see enough from him that we think he is a starter, back to the physical shape that would have had him a nailed on 1st Rounder, then that is almost like having a new player, an extra 1st round pick!
Old 29.02.2012, 01:38 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritt 23 View Post
Janoris Jenkins? Talented for sure, but I can't see JJ going back down the road of taking the troubled talent again just yet.
Yeah, good call on Jenkins. Not worth the risk really and he certainly doesn't fit with Garretts blueprint for guys with high character, team leader types.

Shame that we have no chance of Claiborne as he looks a beast. I'm thinking more and more that DeCastro is the pick, i can't see any of the elite defensive guys being there for us and we really can't afford to reach or take any chances, DeCastro is the safest pick in the draft imo.
Old 01.03.2012, 01:59 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman_8 View Post
Shame that we have no chance of Claiborne as he looks a beast. I'm thinking more and more that DeCastro is the pick, i can't see any of the elite defensive guys being there for us and we really can't afford to reach or take any chances, DeCastro is the safest pick in the draft imo.
I think Dre Kirkpatrick will be ahead of DeCastro on our board, but if he's gone, then I agree, DeCastro could very well be the pick.

The other option is at LB, depending on where we have gone in Free Agency, as Kuechly or Upshaw could well be available. If we have retained Spencer and James though, then we are not looking at either the ILB (Kuechly) or the OLB (Upshaw) in the first round.
Old 01.03.2012, 03:36 PM
All Pro

Can't see Kuechly, all the scouts i read say he doesn't get off blocks too well and they see him as a strictly 4-3 man. Plus we drafted Lee and Carter to be starters.

I'm not too sold on Kirkpatrick, i just think we'd be drafting for need rather than bpa if we took him over DeCastro.
Old 02.03.2012, 12:55 AM
Team Captain

I'll start with the LBs. The plan is to have Carter partner Lee in the middle but it still might be a bit early so we need to bring in a vet. I wouldn't be against holding onto Brooking for another season just for depth.

I think Spencer stays. Is there really any FAs out there that can better what he did? But then it comes down to money. Tagging him is over $8m... Just think, we don't keep hold of him and he hits FA. Just means we go into the draft with OLB potentially our biggest need. If we manage to get Ingram or maybe Upshaw then great but there is no guarantee. I say keep him but we still would need to draft a pass rusher.

Newman is gone. Could come back on a reduced contract but no way he stays on the current one.

OL needs sorting. Nicks would be awesome because we go into the draft knowing the line isn't priority. The problem is he wants $$$.

I will be happy with Carr or Finnegan. Both physical corners that get their hands on receivers.

Robinson needs to come back but again it comes down to $$$. Gotta remember he is only the 3rd guy on the team. Don't really want to be paying him big bucks.

There is a few players I like in the draft, Top 3 for me would be Ingram, Kirkpatrick and DeCastro. And how can anybody not like Dontari Poe?? wow lol

If I had it my way. Bring back Spencer, sign Carr, draft DeCastro.