The rebuilding process during the off-season - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Atlanta Falcons

Old 21.01.2013, 04:54 PM
All Pro

Default The rebuilding process during the off-season

Fellow Falcons fans, what areas of the team do you think need addressing? Who'd you let go and who do you want us to resign?

I'll look at our Defense, this is what Id be happy with. Id cut Dunta Robinson and try and resign Willy Mo and Brent Grimes. Next year Id like

DE: Abe
DT: Babs
DT: Get someone in the draft(of Wilforks size if available) Peters will do as back up.
DE: Draft someone here and use Biermann at times.
LB: Spoon
LB: Draft someone here too, would love Alec Ogletree. Dent can be back up.
LB: Nicholas
CB: Asante
FS: DeCoud
SS: Willy Mo, hope we resign him.
CB: Would love Grimes but I think we need another cornerback along with him and McClain.

So overall I think we need a big DT, a DE, a LB and two cornerbacks. I'll do Offense later.
Old 21.01.2013, 05:06 PM
Hall of Fame

I have one serious question as you weren't on Sky much this season, can you win a Superbowl with Mike Smith as Head Coach? His game management perplexes me at times
Old 21.01.2013, 05:31 PM
All Pro

I'm not trolling here , honest.

I think Atlanta have a solid team a good QB, 3 decent WR's and Gonzo.
Their back field needs addressing as Turner has burned out IMO. Rogers
looks ok but needs help spreading the load.
Their D is efficient , well coached,but lacks depth so this should be the
emphasis in the draft and FA.

I'm not sure about Smitty, I don't think he's the guy to take them that
extra step, he's done a great job in Atlanta considering the mess he
walked into, but much of last nights defeat and many of their losses
in big games, I have felt, are down to him.

If Falcon fans want regular season success followed by post season
disappointment, he's your man , but again IMO he seems too nice and
lacks the arrogant streak of a Harbaugh or Payton for example.

I was actually rooting for the Falcs* last night but was frustrated with
the way they eased up (or seemed to ) after they took the big
lead, there's nothing wrong in my mind in running up the score.

*Don't worry I'll get over it !!
Old 23.01.2013, 01:56 AM
All Pro

On offense, despite the O-line playing well during the playoffs; I think McClure has to go. The other person that has to go is Michael Turner. This is what Id like to see.

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Draft but not with a 1st or 2nd rounder, use Quizz and possible Snelling
TE: Hope Gonzo for one more year but if not Id like either Keller from Jets or Finley from Packers.
WR: Julio, Roddy, Douglas and draft or use FA to get a 4th receiver.
LT: Sam Baker (Resign him he has earnt it) and Svitek as back up.
LG: Bialock is our man, never seems to miss a game.
C: Konz as starter and Hawley.
RG: Id move Tyson Clabo over to RG to beef up the line, Reynolds will be a solid back up IMO.
RT: Id be prepared to give Lamar Holmes a chance here letting him compete with TD scoring Mike Johnson.

Your thoughts guys??
Old 25.01.2013, 11:35 PM
All Pro

Looking at Running Back, Id change my post from using a draft pick and Id take Reggie Bush.
Old 26.01.2013, 10:46 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchew View Post
I'm not trolling here , honest.

I think Atlanta have a solid team a good QB, 3 decent WR's and Gonzo.
Their back field needs addressing as Turner has burned out IMO. Rogers
looks ok but needs help spreading the load.
Their D is efficient , well coached,but lacks depth so this should be the
emphasis in the draft and FA.

I'm not sure about Smitty, I don't think he's the guy to take them that
extra step, he's done a great job in Atlanta considering the mess he
walked into, but much of last nights defeat and many of their losses
in big games, I have felt, are down to him.

If Falcon fans want regular season success followed by post season
disappointment, he's your man , but again IMO he seems too nice and
lacks the arrogant streak of a Harbaugh or Payton for example.

I was actually rooting for the Falcs* last night but was frustrated with
the way they eased up (or seemed to ) after they took the big
lead, there's nothing wrong in my mind in running up the score.

*Don't worry I'll get over it !!
Bet you felt so dirty after that you had to have a shower or something!

On offense I'd like to see us address Running Back through Free Agency and Reggie Bush could be an option. Any Rb we do get needs to be able to catch passes and Reggie can do that. Alternatively if we're to draft one I like Stepfan Taylor out of Stanford or Mike Gillislee out of Florida. I'd also like to see us look at a TE in FA and Dustin Keller or Jared Cook from Tennessee would be my choices. Cook I feel is particularly underutilised there. We could also draft one with Zach Ertz from Stanford or Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame being possibilities. I'd agree with what's been said about the O-Line. I think McClure needs to hang it up and we slide Peter Konz over from RG. There's a couple of decent Guards we could pick up in the draft with Chance Warmack from Alabama or Larry Warford from Kentucky both possibilities.

On Defense we need more Pass Rush and then some more Pass rush and I'd go after that both in FA and the draft. Not sure who's out there in free agency (Freeney? Umenyiora?) but in the draft I could see us taking a look at Alex Okafor out of Texas or Margus Hunt out of SMU. I'd also like a massive space eating DT although that partly depends on whether we're looking to transition to a 3-4. Getting Jesse Williams from Alabama in the draft would be nice but I'm not sure if it's our number 1 priority.

Last edited by Stubbsy #21; 26.01.2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 26.01.2013, 01:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Don't get your hopes up over any marquee free agents. Our cap space will be used to resign Moore and to extend Ryan's contract. Beyond that we may add 1 or 2 mid-level guys, but that's it.

As for the draft, we have a bunch of needs: DE, TE, MLB, DT, RB , OT, OG. Thanksfully we have full complement of picks this year, and should get some compensatory picks as well, inclusing a mid-rounder for losing Lofton.
Old 26.01.2013, 01:46 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilfalc View Post
Don't get your hopes up over any marquee free agents. Our cap space will be used to resign Moore and to extend Ryan's contract. Beyond that we may add 1 or 2 mid-level guys, but that's it.

As for the draft, we have a bunch of needs: DE, TE, MLB, DT, RB , OT, OG. we have full complement of picks this year, and should get some compensatory picks as well, inclusing a mid-rounder for losing Lofton.
Ya true, Id like to resign Baker though too. Get rid of McClure, We really need Gonzo to stay. Cutting Dunta Robinson would free up $8 million of Cap Room.
Old 27.01.2013, 05:36 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman12 View Post
I have one serious question as you weren't on Sky much this season, can you win a Superbowl with Mike Smith as Head Coach? His game management perplexes me at times
I don't think we can. Smith does a lot of things well, but his conservtive approach is also the reaosn that we struggle to put teams away, and some of his decisions at the end of games are mindbogling.

I believe that his decison to play our starters in Wk 17, resulting in John Abraham getting injured at the end of the game, probably cost us the SB this year.
Old 28.01.2013, 05:13 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbsy #21 View Post
Bet you felt so dirty after that you had to have a shower or something!

On offense I'd like to see us address Running Back through Free Agency and Reggie Bush could be an option. Any Rb we do get needs to be able to catch passes and Reggie can do that. Alternatively if we're to draft one I like Stepfan Taylor out of Stanford or Mike Gillislee out of Florida. I'd also like to see us look at a TE in FA and Dustin Keller or Jared Cook from Tennessee would be my choices. Cook I feel is particularly underutilised there. We could also draft one with Zach Ertz from Stanford or Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame being possibilities. I'd agree with what's been said about the O-Line. I think McClure needs to hang it up and we slide Peter Konz over from RG. There's a couple of decent Guards we could pick up in the draft with Chance Warmack from Alabama or Larry Warford from Kentucky both possibilities.

On Defense we need more Pass Rush and then some more Pass rush and I'd go after that both in FA and the draft. Not sure who's out there in free agency (Freeney? Umenyiora?) but in the draft I could see us taking a look at Alex Okafor out of Texas or Margus Hunt out of SMU. I'd also like a massive space eating DT although that partly depends on whether we're looking to transition to a 3-4. Getting Jesse Williams from Alabama in the draft would be nice but I'm not sure if it's our number 1 priority.
Yeah a good scrub with tomato juice did the job!

As for Reggie he didn't enjoy the turf in the dome , had trouble planting and cutting
so wasn't surprised he did well in Miami, he also had 3 injuries which didn't help his
cause and the heavy pass load made his running stats look poor for a #2 pick.
I still have a soft spot for #25 so it would sting a little seeing him in Atlanta.
I reckon little Quiz can do the running/catching job like Sproles ,you need either a
bruiser or a commitee to rotate the carries IMO. Has Norwood got much left in him?
Also do you think letting Ovie go was a poor decision in hindsight?