The rebuilding process during the off-season - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Atlanta Falcons

Old 01.03.2013, 03:32 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk View Post
Some reports from the official message board from fans in relation to the reasoning for the moves:

Defence switched to a 3-4.

Matt Ryan expecting a monster contract.

Estimated between $20-$25 million under cap limit.

Although Jackson is a great back I am not sure why we should sign him with both Quizz and Snelling in the team. Quizz showed last year he can become a number one back and Snelling is good enogh to support him.

Switch in defence makes sense with Atlanta looking at Line Backers in the draft but there is also a deep talent pool (by this years standard) of DE's.
Ya I saw the talk on there about the 3-4 defense. Would make sense with Abe's release. Massaquoi our 5th round pick last year was an excellent OLB in college too.
Old 01.03.2013, 04:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGall13 View Post
Adam Schefter on twitter just tweeted this.
"Major moves in ATL: Falcons are releasing CB Dunta Robinson, RB Michael Turner and DE John Abraham today."

Shocked that we are releasing Abe, why? Madness.
We have to think long term. I expected maybe Babineux to be cut.

Could be car crash TV for our D for next season.
Old 01.03.2013, 07:15 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domed Outter View Post
We have to think long term. I expected maybe Babineux to be cut.

Could be car crash TV for our D for next season.
He has to stay, he can play DE and DT. Think the Abraham and Dunta(If Grimes ain't resigned) cuts could really be costly. Handed the NFC South to the Saints imo today unless we replace Abe with top class pass rushers.

Just have to add, What other team would cut their best pass rusher? No other team would. Dimitroff cant draft a defensive player to save his life either, Idiot.

Last edited by JamesGall13; 01.03.2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01.03.2013, 11:25 PM
Pro Bowler

After the way we gave away a world title last season, I can't say I care right now. Ths team had zero chance of winning a Lombardi whilst Mike Smith is our HC.

His game day decisions and gutless play not to lose mentality is a huge liability.
Old 01.03.2013, 11:28 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilfalc View Post
After the way we gave away a world title last season, I can't say I care right now. Ths team had zero chance of winning a Lombardi whilst Mike Smith is our HC.

His game day decisions and gutless play not to lose mentality is a huge liability.
He is a very good coach and If you cannot see that TD's lack of draft picks on defense is our down fall then I don't know what to say.
Old 02.03.2013, 01:08 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGall13 View Post
He is a very good coach and If you cannot see that TD's lack of draft picks on defense is our down fall then I don't know what to say.
He's a horrible HC. Our inability to put games away and repeated playoff no-shows are a reflection of Smith's gutless approach. He's so scared of making mistakes, that it paralyses his game day decison making. He plays not to lose rather than coaching to make the plays to put games away. He's a liability. As for playing Abe late in a pointless whk 17 game, I still can't think of worse coaching decison in the last 25+ years.

You're not wrong about the lack of defensive picks, but that is a direct result of trading the best part of 2 years' picks away for a WR, when it was our 5th or 6th biggest need at the time. Julio Jones is a good football player, but the trade was a horrible move because of the cost. It cost us any chance to significantly upgrade the D or OL for 2 seasons. Most Falcons fans want to have their cake and eat it. The love the trade for Julio Jones, but then blast TD for not being able to build a defense and OL with the low value picks we had left.
Old 02.03.2013, 01:27 PM
Team Captain

Smith is the second most successful coach for most wins over a five year period in the history of the NFL.

The problem was outlined by an analyst after the Dallas game this season. Smith is very conservative which is great for racking up regular season wins, Atlanta's play is consistant and they do not make many mistakes but they also do not make many explosive/big plays which seems is what is needed to win the tight playoff games.

Falcon fans need to ask themselves do they want to be regular participants in the playoffs or occasional participants in the playoffs with a greater possibility of winning.
Old 02.03.2013, 01:48 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Smith is the second most successful coach for most wins over a five year period in the history of the NFL.

The problem was outlined by an analyst after the Dallas game this season. Smith is very conservative which is great for racking up regular season wins, Atlanta's play is consistant and they do not make many mistakes but they also do not make many explosive/big plays which seems is what is needed to win the tight playoff games.

Falcon fans need to ask themselves do they want to be regular participants in the playoffs or occasional participants in the playoffs with a greater possibility of winning.
The probelm is, when we get ahead by 2 scores in a game, our whole mentality shifts. The focus then becomes "let's not turn the ball over offensively", and "let's not give up a big play defesively". We are content to run clock even if it means going 3 and out, and defenisvely we are happy to sit back in soft zones and get picked apart, as long as we aren't giving up in 1 big play.

That's fine if you are 14 ahead with 5 min to go, but not in the 2nd or 3rd quarter in the playoffs, or when facing an elite QB. We've done it and got away with it for 5 years now. It was always going to come back and get us at some stage, and that was the NFCCG. We handed SF a game that should have been ours.

As for Smith's conservatism, look no firther than the 2011 playoffs. The offensive gameplan against NY was an absolute joke. We spent 60 mins running Turner and throwing 3-4 yard passes underneath the coverage, and didn't even look to test the Giants D in the medium or deep passing game. Our 11-5 team clearly didn't even believe that it could win, against a team that was 9-7 in the regular season and 4-4 at home. It was the most gutless offensive gameplan I've even seen. It may have been devised by Mike Mularkey, but it was clearly approved by Mike Smith as Head Coach.
Old 02.03.2013, 01:53 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilfalc View Post
The probelm is, when we get ahead by 2 scores in a game, our whole mentality shifts. The focus then becomes "let's not turn the ball over offensively", and "let's not give up a big play defesively". We are content to run clock even if it means going 3 and out, and defenisvely we are happy to sit back in soft zones and get picked apart, as long as we aren't giving up in 1 big play.

That's fine if you are 14 ahead with 5 min to go, but not in the 2nd or 3rd quarter in the playoffs, or when facing an elite QB. We've done it and got away with it for 5 years now. It was always going to come back and get us at some stage, and that was the NFCCG. We handed SF a game that should have been ours.

As for Smith's conservatism, look no firther than the 2011 playoffs. The offensive gameplan against NY was an absolute joke. We spent 60 mins running Turner and throwing 3-4 yard passes underneath the coverage, and didn't even look to test the Giants D in the medium or deep passing game. Our 11-5 team clearly didn't even believe that it could win, against a team that was 9-7 in the regular season and 4-4 at home. It was the most gutless offensive gameplan I've even seen. It may have been devised by Mike Mularkey, but it was clearly approved by Mike Smith as Head Coach.
I agree completely but I am just not sure who we could replace him with.
Old 02.03.2013, 02:01 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I agree completely but I am just not sure who we could replace him with.
This is it, If we replace him, we're not guaranteed success.