Offseason thoughts - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Sponsored Links

Old 23.07.2014, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Default Offseason thoughts

Be good to hear how people feel the offseason has gone for us. Here's my views...

Things I like

The pick ups of Jared Veldheer and Antonio Cromartie. I think both of these are exceptional both for value and talent. The left side of the line now looks like a strength for the first time since I became a fan, and on paper we have one of the best secondaries in the league.

The Bucannon and Niklas picks. These could fall into both things I like and dislike because I really like the players but would question the value where we took them, particularly the Bucannon pick where the best quarterback in the draft was still on the board. I think both players will improve the team considerably though.

The Carlson, Dwyer and Ginn pick ups. Whilst these players may not have the biggest impact, they can be used rotationally to add depth and variety that will be useful as the season goes on.

Tyrann Mathieu's commitment to rehab and to the team. This guy is quickly becoming my favourite Cardinal.

Things I dislike

The draft. Yes this is subjective and I may be proved wrong a few years down the line, but I think we had an incredibly weak draft compared to what was available when we picked.
Passing on Bridgewater at 27 seems crazy given that in December (when opinions were guided by football) most people had him going 1st over all. We could then have picked up the likes of Tre Boston at safety in the 4th.
In the second, I'd have traded down like in the 1st (I seem to recall Steve Keim saying this option was on the table) as I liked both Niklas and Fiedorowicz who were both still on the board so we could likely have still got one of them after the trade.
I thought ILB needed to be addressed even before the Washington suspension (Shayne Skov?).
RT could have been addressed with Antonio Richardson. A 1st round talent with injury concerns is surely worth a 6th rounder over a 3rd new WR, especially given the WRs we already have.
I would have liked to get at least one of Ronald Powell, Michael Sam or Tajh Boyd in the later rounds. They may end up busts but at this stage they all have incredibly high ceilings and I'd sooner take these risks in the later rounds than pick up depth players which is what I feel we've done.

The loss of Dansby and Washington. I felt we needed more depth at ILB when Dansby left, and now with Washington out for the year the position is a real concern. Hopefully we can bring someone else in before the season starts.

The right side of the O-line. A concern until anyone on the roster proves otherwise.

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 23.07.2014, 03:03 PM
MVP

Pretty good summary. I really liked the John Brown pick in the 3rd. I think he could make Ted Ginn surplus.

I'm a big fan of Massie so hope he does become the RT of the future. He looked really fine in the last 8 games of his rookie year. But something he does or doesn't do, is not liked by the new coaches.

I'm glad they passed on Teddy, BUT feel he'd have been a better pick for the Cards, than he is for the Vikes. If as some reporters suggest he is close to starting for the Vikes I think it could be a bad thing for his long term development. He really doesnt have a strong arm. And when they are playing outdoors in Nov and December up there. He will struggle to get the ball to his WRs.
He makes spome horrendous decisions too. At times he got away with them. IMO he will be found out pretty quick in the NFL.
Had he been picked by the Cards, he could have sat for 2 years, and played 8 home games a year in the UOP. A much better scenario for him IMO.

I worry about the ILB situation most. Losing Dansby and Washington is too much for it not to have an effect. I'm a big Minter fan but do not think he is a ready replacement for either. Not yet anyway (Taken one pick before Kiko Alonso ARGH). I like the upgrade at corner, but am worried about the rehab with Mathieu. I hope he isnt rushing back too quick and has a down year like RGIII did last year. He needs to be back 100% fit. Or he will just get injured again.

I like Niklas pick the most in the draft. Not flashy (like the Cards draft) but will block and then some. He wont make the catches some of the others will be getting, but with the emergance last year of Ellington, I think his pick could be the most productive of the lot.

There is a little to worry about at NT as well. T'amu coming back off a knee injury. Never good for linemen to have a weakness in their knees. They take so much pressure. And Dan Williams has so far been OK. I get shot down but think he needed to be picked for a 4-3 team, and plays better when the Cards switch to a 4-3 (Which to be fair they did a lot more last year).
Old 23.07.2014, 03:06 PM
MVP

PS

I still HATE the Floyd pick. My head is going fuzzy even typing this

Cards still have a gaping need at Right Guard. Even unborn chicken's knew that DeCastro should have been the pick there. And while I love Whiz and Graves, that they got sacked soon after making the horror pick of the entire draft for any team ever, was all they deserved.

And relax
Old 23.07.2014, 03:28 PM
Rookie

Very good point about Teddy not being suited to the situation at the Vikes. I just think we won't get another chance at as good a quarterback in the draft whilst Palmer is playing (can't see us picking top 10) and it would be much better developing him under Palmer for 2 years than waiting until Palmer retires/leaves to address the situation. I don't feel Stanton is the answer.

I hope John Brown is as good as people say he is, I haven't managed to find any decent game tape so can't really give an opinion. I do think that bringing in 3 WRs is excessive though. I know we had 2 shots at RB last year and came out with a good one, but 3 shots seems like we're expecting players to be busts (or planning for Larry's departure, something I don't want to contemplate).

I hope Massie is the answer at RT, it just doesn't give me confidence that he wasn't considered better than what we had last year.
Old 24.07.2014, 09:56 AM
All Pro

I've really learnt to not to come to any real conclusions as to what the offseason brought. Every year, those I expect to be good moves turn out not to be, those I did not expect to mount to anything, turned out good.

Id say we are slightly weaker going into the start of the year than we finished. We are reliant on a good defence and will be missing 3 key playmakers from last year...to start with at least anyway.

Offensively it is safe to say we should have taken a step forward. The left side of the line should be more than solid. The right is up in the air. I hate Fanaika, he is useless, and the RT position is a bit of an unknown. Other than that the offence looks more the capable.

On the face of it, the draft seemed decent too me, I liked most of our picks, Niklas aside, who I am not too keen on. I just don't see that we will derive enough value out of TE to see them picked that high.

Clearly Tiny was off the board completely due to knee problem, which is fair enough. Skov likely the same too with a number of injury concerns.

In the end, I see us taking a slight step back record wise, I see an 8-8 or 9-7 year coming on, and likely another 3rd place finish.
Old 24.07.2014, 12:48 PM
Rookie

Just noticed you're from Carlisle too, thought I was the only Cardinals fan in the village.

I agree we may well take a step back this year record-wise, the other teams in the division seem to only be improving year by year and it is questionable whether we've kept up.

To me the linebacker positions are crucial, both inside and outside as this is the only position I feel we are weaker than last year. The secondary, even without Mathieu seems stronger with the new additions and the O-line seems stronger overall. If Abraham can keep up the production on the outside, Acho can return healthy and two of the ILBs can step up to playing at least average for the league then I feel we can be challenging for the playoffs with the roster we have. Minter gives me confidence that we can be strong against runs between the tackles which is essential in our division, but defending the read option without Washington's closing speed could be our new achilles heel, replacing TE coverage as our biggest liability.
Old 25.07.2014, 07:25 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alit83 View Post
Just noticed you're from Carlisle too, thought I was the only Cardinals fan in the village

I agree we may well take a step back this year record-wise, the other teams in the division seem to only be improving year by year and it is questionable whether we've kept up.

To me the linebacker positions are crucial, both inside and outside as this is the only position I feel we are weaker than last year. The secondary, even without Mathieu seems stronger with the new additions and the O-line seems stronger overall. If Abraham can keep up the production on the outside, Acho can return healthy and two of the ILBs can step up to playing at least average for the league then I feel we can be challenging for the playoffs with the roster we have. Minter gives me confidence that we can be strong against runs between the tackles which is essential in our division, but defending the read option without Washington's closing speed could be our new achilles heel, replacing TE coverage as our biggest liability.

Wow, I thought I was the only football fan in the village, nevermind Cardinals. Where about do you live? Actually, hold up, just checked your profile and recognise the name. Did you used to go to Houghton school?

LB, well OLB has been our weakness in defence for a number of years now, but I feel this is where Bowles, and previously with Horton, have proved invaluable. We generate pressure without the talent. Schematically we are very clever and I see no reason for this changing. I fully expect us to cover up the lack of talent at LB with some very clever play-calling. What I think we will miss is Washington's sideline to sideline speed.
Old 26.07.2014, 07:55 AM
Rookie

Yeah I went to Houghton, knew I recognised your name from somewhere but couldn't place it. I'm back for the year at the moment doing a PGCE at the uni. You still in touch with anyone from Houghton?

I hope you're right about us covering up a lack of talent, the divisional games worry me though as we're up against coaches who can exploit weaknesses and systems where improvisation can be essential.
Old 30.07.2014, 10:37 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alit83 View Post
Yeah I went to Houghton, knew I recognised your name from somewhere but couldn't place it. I'm back for the year at the moment doing a PGCE at the uni. You still in touch with anyone from Houghton?

I hope you're right about us covering up a lack of talent, the divisional games worry me though as we're up against coaches who can exploit weaknesses and systems where improvisation can be essential.
Nah I don't keep in touch with anyone from Houghton really, just hi if I see them. How about you?

I think we will be OK this coming year. We have been able to step up at LB the last few years when we have been concerned about our talent levels there, I am sure this year will be no different.

My main concern is the secondary. Which Cromatrie do we get? Will Mathieu be as good? Can Buccannon perform from the get go?
Old 06.08.2014, 10:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by b182dammit View Post
Nah I don't keep in touch with anyone from Houghton really, just hi if I see them. How about you?

I think we will be OK this coming year. We have been able to step up at LB the last few years when we have been concerned about our talent levels there, I am sure this year will be no different.

My main concern is the secondary. Which Cromatrie do we get? Will Mathieu be as good? Can Buccannon perform from the get go?
Buchannon sounds like he is doing really well as the dollar in the nickle. (I have absolutely NO IDEA what I just typed, actually means. I just read it on the Cards website )

It also sounds like Acho is having more sucess than he has had in the past. Hopefully he has his best year in 2014.