why cincinnati? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 17.10.2010, 04:49 PM
Team Captain

Default why cincinnati?

Since I'm new to the board and apologies if this has been done before -can I ask some questions to find out about my fellow Bengals fans,which its good to know are out there.The only friends I have who are into the NFL (and there aren't many of them) are either Jets or Pats fans, so it will be nice to share thoughts,hopes and (more usually) frustrations here.

1) Why Cincinnati ? ( I got into the NFL-C4 of course-in the mid 80's and met a cincinnatian(for a short time) at college at about the same time so that was easy-once I saw the uniform there was no question!

2) Do you follow the Cincinnati Reds (or any other U.S sports) too ? ( I have from the same time-thought I'd dropped on when we got to the Superbowl in 89 and the Reds won the world series in '90. Since then nothing.....)

3) Have you ever been to Cincinnati -( I went to Riverfront in 94 to watch the reds,but have never seen the bengals live.Am hoping to go to Paul Brown stadium one day. Saw a CFL game in Ottowa and went to Wembley last year for Pats/Bucs).

4) How do you watch the games now- (I've got the NFL game pass -pretty good)

5) Do you follow the British game. (I've been watching the Merseyside Nighthawks this year.I've never played American football regrettably -always played football, and now its just golf I'm afraid).

6) Favourite Player? ( I'd probably go Ced Benson if pushed)

cheers all.
Old 17.10.2010, 04:57 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalblueboy1 View Post
Since I'm new to the board and apologies if this has been done before -can I ask some questions to find out about my fellow Bengals fans,which its good to know are out there.The only friends I have who are into the NFL (and there aren't many of them) are either Jets or Pats fans, so it will be nice to share thoughts,hopes and (more usually) frustrations here.

1) Why Cincinnati ? ( I got into the NFL-C4 of course-in the mid 80's and met a cincinnatian(for a short time) at college at about the same time so that was easy-once I saw the uniform there was no question!

2) Do you follow the Cincinnati Reds (or any other U.S sports) too ? ( I have from the same time-thought I'd dropped on when we got to the Superbowl in 89 and the Reds won the world series in '90. Since then nothing.....)

3) Have you ever been to Cincinnati -( I went to Riverfront in 94 to watch the reds,but have never seen the bengals live.Am hoping to go to Paul Brown stadium one day. Saw a CFL game in Ottowa and went to Wembley last year for Pats/Bucs).

4) How do you watch the games now- (I've got the NFL game pass -pretty good)

5) Do you follow the British game. (I've been watching the Merseyside Nighthawks this year.I've never played American football regrettably -always played football, and now its just golf I'm afraid).

6) Favourite Player? ( I'd probably go Ced Benson if pushed)

cheers all.
1) First game I saw was preseason Bengals v Colts, second game I saw was Ravens vs Bengals on SNF. So I decided that the coincidence was a good enough reason to support the Bengals.

2) Yeah, I support the Reds, got into baseball around August and decided to follow the Cincinnati team, and we got to the playoffs as well

3) No, but with the exception of sports I can't see myself going in the future.

4) Follow on NFL or ESPN Gamecast, apart from that I may occasionally find a "feed" online.

5) No. Would like to see the British game succeed, but no transport to get to the games, as the closest team is 30 miles and 3 buses away, on a Sunday I could imagine it being a 3 hour commute each way.

6) Chad Ochocinco, got me to keep supporting the Bengals due to his excellent play and antics, both of which seem to have disappeared this season.
Old 17.10.2010, 09:39 PM
All Pro

1) My other American sports teams are the Cincinnati Reds and the Houston Rockets. So it was a choice between the Bengals and the Houston Texans for my football team. The Bengals have an interesting history and share the same colours as my local soccer team so I chose Cincinnati.

2) Yes I do follow the Reds. Houston Rockets are my basketball team. I am not interested in Ice hockey.

3) No. I am planning to go next year however.

4) On NFL.Com Gamepass

5) No. I am not familiar with British Gridiron I'm afraid.

6) Despite his indifferent form this season my favourite player is still Carson Palmer.

Last edited by Lancashire Bengal; 17.10.2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 17.10.2010, 09:54 PM
All Pro

Watching the games tonight and just reminded me how bad the Bengals were. The Steelers murdered the Browns and the Buccs got hammered by the Saints......

In reply to the Bengalblue :

1) Why Cincinnati ?

When I first started watching the NFL I didn't know anything about it so when I picked my team back in 1989 I simply went with the team that had the nicest outfit! - Yeah sad eh...but I'm still there 21 years later!

2) Do you follow the Cincinnati Reds (or any other U.S sports) too ?

Well I'm not in to other American Sports really. I have been to a Kentucky Wildcats american football game and a couple of their college basketball games as well with a friend of mine who lives in Lexington - they were good fun but still not completely my cup of tea.
I did go to see the Cincinnati Cyclones last year when I was in Cincinnati and saw them beat the Wheeling Nailers on their way to their National Title (minor league) - I do like Ice hockey and that was great!

3) Have you ever been to Cincinnati - Yeah eventually I got there in 2003 after many many years of not being in the position financially to go! I saw them lose against the Browns but I eventually left with a Cincinnati Bengals season ticket and have been going mostly every year ever since. Last year I was there to see them lose against the Texans and hammer the Bears the next weekend (best american football experience I've had since watching the '91 Monarchs!) Due to finances this year I won't be going this season but hope to bounce back next year - I'm never giving my seat up thats for sure! They can pry it from my dead grasp!

How do you watch the games now-

Same as you mate - I have gamepass too which I think is about a million times better than watching sky sports cos I do find it very difficult to be interested in watching any other team apart from the Bengals or if they aren't playing I always pick games in the division or ones that directly effect them!

5) Do you follow the British game.

No, I know I should, I toyed with the idea of becoming a ref but with my work commitments it would have been impossible

6) Favourite Player?

Always a defense guy me .... I love the way Jo Jo and Leon play the CB position...hard and physical.
cheers all.
Old 17.10.2010, 10:53 PM
Team Captain

thanks for replies so far - interesting that a few of us are following the reds as well. Also-Bengalsman, a season ticket! Very impressed.
Old 17.10.2010, 11:42 PM
MVP

1-

The 1st game i ever watched play on telly were the L.A Rams vs Cleveland Browns back when they started showing it on Channel 4 back in the early 80,s. You have to remember that the 80,s was all about big logo's, colour and pizazz. The Browns logo-less helmet looked really boring so decided i wanted the Rams to win that game. Before making a decision on my favourite team, i thought i would check out all the other teams and also see who my mates at school were starting to support.

Everyone seemed to be going for the best teams at the time or the big city teams like the Giants, Bears, 49ers, Rams, Skins and Cowboys and the Dolphins were very popular. I was already to plump for the Dolphins when I was watching the highlights from all the other games and saw this great looking team getting thrashed..........The Cincinnati Bengals!!

I didn,t even know where Cincinnati was but they were dressed like Tigers and had a Quarterback called Boomer!! SOLD!!

To this day i have never met another Bengals fan face to face. Obviously other people must have put more thought in to their decision than I did!!!

2 -

I love college football and have a soft spot for the Bearcats. I also have a soft spot for Michigan and Boise State, but my team are the USC Trojans. I'm just starting to get into Baseball and am loosely following the Reds. In NHL I have stayed in Ohio and follow the Columbus Blue Jackets.

3 -

Never been to Cincy but would love to go one day.

4 -

Sky and ''Live Feeds''

5 -

Nothing local so don't follow the British game. Eastbourne used to have a team in the 80's and watched them a few times but nothing now.

6 -

Loving Jordan Shipley at the moment.

Last edited by Bretts; 17.10.2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 18.10.2010, 12:56 PM
MVP

1- first team I saw. I think they were playing the Steelers, but I don't remember. All I know is that Kev and Nick were talking about us (it was 2005, so we were actually good!), and I took a liking and they became my team.

2- I do follow the Reds, looking at the results, but I'm not really into baseball, as there are so few chances to watch it.

3- Sadly not. I had planned to this year- the Ravens game would have been the one, but passport issues and visa costs meant I couldn't afford to (I'm only a poor little student!!). I plan to either next year or the year after, will have to be a Christmas game or an October half term game due to teaching.

4- Gamepass. I always watch our game, although unlike Bengalsman I can happily watch any game that is going, like last night where I had the Steelers, Ravens and Falcons games all on at once!

5- I am going to get into it when I leave uni. I will either be in Plymouth or at Exeter Uni doing my post-grad teaching stuff, so I can get involved with uni teams or Plymouth Spirit. In fact I'm taking my level one coaching course in under two weeks time.

6- Probably Jordan Shipley.
Old 18.10.2010, 02:57 PM
Rookie

1) In autumn 2003 I was working shifts in Birmingham and we always finished at 10pm on a Sunday. Me and a friend would go to the Sports Cafe on Broad Street (if anyone knows it) for some post work refreshment. The NFL was always on, he explained the rules and before long I was hooked. Soon after there was an article in the excellent Aston Villa (my first love) fanzine Heroes and Villains, titled 'Villa's American Image'. It was all about the Bengals and how Mike Brown was similar to then-Villa chairman Doug Ellis in his reluctance to splash the cash. From that moment it was clear there was only one team for me (and my mate had to go along with it too - he had no choice!).
I think the playoff loss to the Steelers was the moment I realised how much I had begun caring.

2) I got into baseball a year before football so the Cubs are my team (always back the hapless yet heroic loser - that's my motto) but I was hoping the Reds would do something in the playoffs this year. No luck.

3) Twice in 2007 and 2008. Went to the win over the Titans and the tied game with the Eagles. Also went to both road games in Pittsburgh while we were over there and tailgated with some Cincy fans - good times.
Against my better judgement I am currently finalising plans to shoot over in three weeks' time for the MNF game against the Steelers. It's partly a business trip and I'm fortunate enough to be able to (just about) afford it but even so I'm wondering whether the money might be better spent on a new laptop to watch 4) NFL gamespass on.

5) Not really. Went to one Redditch Arrows game, it wasn't very good.

6) Dhani Jones - never going to be a world beater but always gives 100 per cent.
Old 18.10.2010, 08:23 PM
All Pro

Dr Sanchez ... I'm jealous that you've gone to a road game... thats the next thing on my to do list!

Redditch Arrows... I work in Redditch but never seen one of their games.
Old 19.10.2010, 07:27 AM
All Pro

1) I loved the fact that the Bengals were the underdog with upside. Chad had a big part of me choosing the Bengals the team seemed fun.

2) Nope, pretty much just Bengals.

3) I haven't. I'd love to see them play but hear Cincinnati doesn't have a huge amount to offer. Money is the main issue.

4) Gamepass.

5) I used to play for my uni team as it was starting up, I love going back and playing in the old boys game each year.

6) Currently Rey Rey.