Boxing Thread - Page 48 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 24.11.2013, 12:33 AM
All Pro

Farcical end, but no doubt in my mind Froch would have gone on to win regardless. A rematch needs to happen, but most likely won't.
Old 24.11.2013, 07:21 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
I'll set my stall out by saying I'm a big fan of Froch and he may very well have gone on to finish Groves off (remember Jermain Taylor?)....but that ending was absolute turd.

Groves deserved a chance to get his legs and his composure back, he rocked Froch a couple of times himself let's not forget, so why the ref jumped in when he did is a mystery.

Froch showed why he's champ though. Grit, determination, and a chin made out of solid adamantium.
Exactly right. When Groves hadn't finished the job in first half of the fight I expected Froch to win it in last couple of rounds but the stoppage was extremely premature. Groves was still moving forward and swinging when the referee stepped in
Old 24.11.2013, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

The ref could (and should) have issued a standing 8 count to groves, whch virtually would have ended the round and give groves 70 seconds or so rest.

Froch should've had points taken away for not breaking, using forarns and elbows.

And the lack of class from Froch post fight was telling.

Great fight, shocking decision.
Old 24.11.2013, 08:49 AM
Pro Bowler

[QUOTE=HSTDriver;1945033]The ref could (and should) have issued a standing 8 count to groves, whch virtually would have ended the round and give groves 70 seconds or so elbows.

Unfortunately on this occasion there is no standing eight count in the pros any more
Old 24.11.2013, 09:03 AM
All Pro

its frustrating that the ref stopped this one, think he should have left it just a little bit longer and seen if he got his feet back. being a boxer myself i would have wanted the opportunity but i would just want whatever helps me win..
Old 24.11.2013, 09:09 AM
Pro Bowler

other thoughts on the fight-

can't understand all the criticism Groves was getting prefight.he was just using the mental side of the game to try and gain an edge.and did he really say anthing that was so bad?

Groves spoke really well after the fight explaining that he was just using mind games really.he also pointed out how much he actually respected Froch

for his part Froch seemed a bit naive in his criticism of Groves attitude.his responses actually justified Groves methods

Groves exposed Frochs style big-time.the front-on style with wide looping punches was not working against someone throwing straighter faster shots

Frochs prefight confidence was blown away within the 1st round.it seemed he hadn't even contemplated that Groves could hurt him and the look on his face was telling

One strange thing i noticed was the tale of the tape.Despite Froch having a 3 inch reach advantage i could have sworn Groves' arms were longer

Not sure why the crowd was booing Froch afterwards.it did seem a premature stoppage but Froch was denied a chance to finish off the fight properly.i think we also have to give him credit for withstanding the punishment he took
Old 24.11.2013, 09:47 AM
All Pro

i think watching the knockdown in the first froch was gone and it was worse that groves in the 9th. when froch stood up he wobbled back two steps and was still unsteady when he raised his gloves.
i would be surprised if froch wants to fight groves again. he has gone on in the build up about the level of fighters he has faced and not one has hurt him like that. ward boxed his head off but never had him on his ass and hurt as bad.
Old 24.11.2013, 09:47 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post

can't understand all the criticism Groves was getting prefight.he was just using the mental side of the game to try and gain an edge.and did he really say anthing that was so bad?

Groves spoke really well after the fight explaining that he was just using mind games really.he also pointed out how much he actually respected Froch

for his part Froch seemed a bit naive in his criticism of Groves attitude.his responses actually justified Groves methods

Groves exposed Frochs style big-time.the front-on style with wide looping punches was not working against someone throwing straighter faster shots

Frochs prefight confidence was blown away within the 1st round.it seemed he hadn't even contemplated that Groves could hurt him and the look on his face was telling

One strange thing i noticed was the tale of the tape.Despite Froch having a 3 inch reach advantage i could have sworn Groves' arms were longer

Not sure why the crowd was booing Froch afterwards.it did seem a premature stoppage but Froch was denied a chance to finish off the fight properly.i think we also have to give him credit for withstanding the punishment he took
It's fair to say Froch isn't as fast as he was, but rarely has he been in a fight where he was clearly on top. Art Abraham is the only fight he's had (IMO) where he's absolutely bossed it from start to finish.

I think there's little question the fight would have made it beyond the 9th with Froch winning with a KO, but Groves deserved better from Mr. Foster.
Old 24.11.2013, 09:51 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post

i like froch but the reason he was booed was because he was wrong. everything he said in the build up and after the fight he contradicted himself, post fight interview he said it was a good stoppage then said ref made decision fighters shouldnt be asked. he did the same throughout the build up. i didnt have a preference for a winner
Old 24.11.2013, 09:52 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev macca View Post
i think watching the knockdown in the first froch was gone and it was worse that groves in the 9th. when froch stood up he wobbled back two steps and was still unsteady when he raised his gloves.
i would be surprised if froch wants to fight groves again. he has gone on in the build up about the level of fighters he has faced and not one has hurt him like that. ward boxed his head off but never had him on his ass and hurt as bad.
Froch virtually offered a rematch in the post match interview. It would be a big seller based off the interest in the match last night, and especially the way it ended.

As for the fight, agreed about the punishment Groves dished out, he's probably not took a hurting like that since Taylor put him on his backside years ago. That's Froch for you though, bags and bags of grit and never ever out of the fight. And you can't knock him out.