My 2012 Redskins Hopes & Expectations - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 02.09.2012, 03:07 PM
All Pro

Default My 2012 Redskins Hopes & Expectations

Not been on here in ages but just thought I'd share my take on what I hope/expect/think might happen in 2012 for our team. Feel free to add your own predictions/thoughts or comment on mine.

Quarterback: Obviously the focal point of everything for the Redskins this season is a certain Robert Griffin III. With what Cam Newton did last year and the fact the NFL has adapted some of the stuff college offenses use success is expected much quicker for rookie QB's. For me I certainly don't expect him to do anything close to what Newton did. What I want is a bit more simple:
a, to start all 16 games - ie, not get injured and not get pulled if he struggles.
b, to use effectively (this is down to the coaches as well) the natural athletic skills that can be a difference maker. He's so fast he'll hurt people with his legs.
c, to show improvement on things we've seen that are inconsistent in the pre-season. The 5 and 7 step drops from center, play fakes, reading defenses.
d, to not make too many killer mistakes. He'll have some games where a lot goes wrong but I want to see him learn from it and not repeat them. I want to appreciate the throw-aways when nothing is there, those kind of things.
e, some big plays, especially with his arm.

I honestly think he'll have some games where he looks a world beater and others where it just doesn't happen, especially if the line fails to protect him but I want to come out of 2012 feeling even more positive than I already do about this young man.

As for Rex and Cousins, I expect Rex to be the #2 and Cousins to be the #3, hopefully neither see more than mop-up duty. If (touch wood, cross fingers and toes) RGIII does miss time I don't expect Cousins to start but if it were for an extended period of time I don't think it would be too long before we see him.

Running Backs: I guess you could call it a committee backfield, I tend to look at it as a "hot hand" backfield wherein I expect the team to start a guy and if he starts well continue to feed him the ball. If he struggles then the next guy in gets a few snaps and if it happens for him then they run him a lot. Generally though even with Morris' excellent pre-season I feel Royster is going to get the first chance and I loved what I seen from him at the back end of last season. Roy Helu has some skills but seems a little fragile but I think he can have a 400 yard rush/40 reception type of season. Morris is the wild card. I like Young at FB and I'm hoping his injury issue clears up.

I think this unit can have an individual 1,000 yard back but at the same time if we had two 700 yard rushers and a guy chipping in with another 300-400 yards I think we'd all take that.

Wide Receivers: Pierre Garcon has been paid to deliver a big season and from what we seen in pre-season he looks very capable of it. Who comes through after that is anyones guess but the likes of Morgan and Hankerson are capable. I think the guy who'll be 2nd in receiving numbers amongst the WR's is Santana Moss, I think he'll get some nice mis-matches in the slot and whilst he's not as fast and agile as he once was he's lost some weight and worked hard this off-season and a veteran receiver can help a rookie QB a lot! Brandon Banks might not be a WR but I think they'll try and find a couple of plays a game where they get him involved and try and give him the ball in space to use his speed to hurt opponents. One thing this unit needs to do is add more yards after the catch which it struggled with last year and I think they can with the additions made.

Tight Ends: Fred Davis gives opponents a massive headache down the seams and across the middle, it'll just come down to how well Griffin uses him. Niles Paul is a project and I actually think he might be used less than Paulsen. If Paul can just show some flashes of potential it at least gives the team something to think about next off-season when Davis is a free agent again.

O-Line: The big question mark on offense, probably bigger than the rookie QB leading us! I think Trent Williams can deliver an All-Pro season, he was getting it before his suspension ad the reports from camp have been encouraging. The rest is a worry, 'Steiger looked much improved last year but his knee injury could continue to be a bother, Montgomery is average, Chester struggled last year and the less said about RT the better. Hopefully Chester can improve but I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Hurt or one of the rookies gets involved in the interior mix at some point, with or without injuries.

Griffin's athletic ability will help this line some but the biggest help would be consistency in the line-up so lets hope injuries don't bite.

D-Line: I love the ability and depth we have on this unit. Unlike some 3-4 fronts these guys can help get pressure on the QB as well as tie up blockers. I think Cofield, with a years experience under his belt can make strides and the likes of Jenkins and Baker can help the rotation keeping everyone fresh and hence more productive. I expect this to be one of the bright spots of the year.

Linebackers: Along with the D-line this unit help makes our front seven look really good and probably the strength of the team. I want to see both 'Rak and Kerrigan push on this year and be more productive. Both are capable and in 'Rak's case if he can get into the mid-double digits for sacks that would help push him towards the elite pass rushers in the league. Hopefully these promises of improving technique and establishing more pass rush moves to his armory will prove to be true. Inside I think Riley can continue to grow next to London Fletcher and in our defensive captains case I expect another reliable season despite his ever increasing age. It really does seem just a number for this guy. A real bonus would be if the likes of Chris Wilson and Rob Jackson could offer some pass rush in relief of our two OLB stars. I also though Zo looked a real good fit inside if he is needed inside.

The secondary: Ugh! Major concerns here. I think this unit will make and break games. When the pass rush is firing they'll look good getting inaccurate passes and turnovers coming their way. If QB's get time they can kill this unit. We know what D-Hall is, he'll get turnovers but he'll get burned, Josh Wilson is more consistent but less dynamic. Cedric Griffin is a guy I think every Redskins fan has concerns over. If Richard Crawford could turn what he showed in pre-season into regular season production I think we'd all be extremely happy.

At safety I think we go into the season with Williams and Merriweather starting but I have a feeling Gomes will push and eventually take the job off of Williams. He got some experience last year and I like the bits I seen of him in pre-season. It'd be nice to see him progress.

Special Teams: We have a consistent punter so no worries there, kicker is again a major concern as it is every year, If Cundiff could nail most KO's as touchbacks and hit over 90% inside the 50 yard range I think we could all live with that. I still feel kicker could cost us a game or two though.

Overall: I like the direction the team is heading, I like that we are using the draft effectively. I do believe the roster overhaul and rebuild has taken a little longer as we have had some kind of hindrance every off-season (limited off-season in 2010, no off-season in 20111, capgate in 2012) but now we have a young team littered with experience and potential. Record is honestly not important to me, I don't expect to make post season, I don't expect to even break .500, we have too many holes at key spots, a rookie QB and a tough division to get through. I expect kicker, our secondary and the OL to cost us games and that will be frustrating.

What I want to see is:
1, Clear development and a positive feel from RGIII.
2, More big plays from our WR's.
3, A productive front 7.

Get those three and if the problem areas can play above themselves we might just, just surprise everyone and even ourselves. Right now though I'm just excited to see this team grow, develop and give me hope not just for the short term future, but the long term future.

HTTR!
Old 03.09.2012, 10:07 PM
All Pro

A pretty fair assessment as usual, Gman84.

Hopefully, O-line and secondary will be the targets in rounds 2-4 in next year's draft, while some of those lower round guys come through (a big hope, admittedly). Not having a first round pick the next two years is a shame, coupled with the cap blow for next year likely hurting again, but hopefully by RG3's third season, this team can be a real force.
Old 03.09.2012, 10:21 PM
MVP

I will state I flat out expect 10-6 and that to yield the division title (last year Giants won division at 9-7) or a wild card spot. Both wild card teams were 10-6 last year.

Redskins beat the superbowl champions twice last year, proof only that the NFL is wide open. Of the redskins 11 losses 7 of them were 8 points or less. They did this with Rex Grossman and Beck at QB. Griffin simply cannot be any worse than those two, and he will most likely do better. The backs are better, the WRs are better....way better. The O-line is a question mark again, but Griffin should be able to make more plays the the QBs from last year.

The redskins defense is looking very good to me, I'm predicting a top 8 finish there. An improvement over last years 13th ranking.
Old 06.09.2012, 05:59 PM
Pro Bowler

My biggest concerns would any injuries to RG3 or Trent Williams,
If either go down then I dont think we can recover.
Old 06.09.2012, 08:58 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuds100 View Post
My biggest concerns would any injuries to RG3 or Trent Williams,
If either go down then I dont think we can recover.
Kirk Cousins can fill in for Griffin
Old 07.09.2012, 04:34 PM
Pro

Nice summary Riggo , not sure about 10 - 6 though. i think 7 - 9 or better and we can start to be optimistic (at last)
Old 07.09.2012, 05:54 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo View Post
I will state I flat out expect 10-6 and that to yield the division title (last year Giants won division at 9-7) or a wild card spot. Both wild card teams were 10-6 last year.

Redskins beat the superbowl champions twice last year, proof only that the NFL is wide open. Of the redskins 11 losses 7 of them were 8 points or less. They did this with Rex Grossman and Beck at QB. Griffin simply cannot be any worse than those two, and he will most likely do better. The backs are better, the WRs are better....way better. The O-line is a question mark again, but Griffin should be able to make more plays the the QBs from last year.

The redskins defense is looking very good to me, I'm predicting a top 8 finish there. An improvement over last years 13th ranking.
I hope you're right but I think if you're expecting 10-6 and a wildcard you're heading for disappointment. The division is tough, our defense is too reliant on the front 7 and our offense has a lot of growing to do.

As for Cousins, I think he has some potential but he was also very inconsistent in college, good games followed bad games and he doesn't have RGIII's athletic ability. Saying that if we lose RGIII whilst I suspect Grossman is first up I'd rather see Cousins play and I don't think it'd be a long wait before we do.
Old 09.09.2012, 10:33 PM
All Pro

Week 7, 2005 season. The last time the Redskins put up 40 points or more in a game (52, vs the 49ers).

So excited that the new-look offense did it in their first game of the season. I'm less concerned that the Saints scored 32 points. That's still only three touchdowns and a FG on defense against the Saints, who are always going to put up a boatload of points.

It's not going to be like this every week, I'm sure, but I sure hope this is the confident start to a glorious new era!
Old 10.09.2012, 12:11 AM
All Pro

Agree with the defense, yes they got sliced and diced late on but given they also gave up two of those TD's on fourth down plays as the Saints had to chance their arm I was really pleased with how they - especially the DB's (Madieu Williams aside) - played.

London Fletcher's play on Sproles on 3rd and goal............the guy still amazes me!
Old 10.09.2012, 02:33 PM
Pro

That's the best and most exciting Ive seen them play for as long as I care to remember. The team looks so different, full of confidence, OL looked good, D held up well. Amazing.