The FBS Conference Realignment: 2010-15 - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 21.07.2013, 09:06 PM
Starter

Clemson does a good job with recruiting - a lot of kids want to wear that Tiger Paw on their helmet. But South Carolina's resurgence in recent years has made it tougher on Clemson to get some of the local talent, and the University of Georgia is located only about an hour from Clemson. When you have three perenially top 25 teams located that close to one another, local recruits have options to go to a competitive school and still stay fairly close to home.
Sponsored Links
Old 21.07.2013, 09:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwithacause View Post
Clemson does a good job with recruiting - a lot of kids want to wear that Tiger Paw on their helmet. But South Carolina's resurgence in recent years has made it tougher on Clemson to get some of the local talent, and the University of Georgia is located only about an hour from Clemson. When you have three perenially top 25 teams located that close to one another, local recruits have options to go to a competitive school and still stay fairly close to home.
South Carolnia seem to be the main problem Jadeveon Clowney, Stephon Gilmore come to mind when looking at South Carolnia recruits that Clemson lost out in state really shows how the balance of power has shifted.

Clemson has everything a college recruit could want but the situation of the ACC. When they look at playing in front of 30,000/40,000 fans about 2-3 times a season while playing in a conference which isn't respected. Then the other school from across state knowing they could stay in state and play every game in front of at least 70k crowds and play against a loaded schedule which NFL scouts look at it's uphill for the Clemson.

Florida State and Miami on the other hand look like they have more of the abillity to keep talent even with the ACC stigma. On a foot note if Oregon in their talent deprived area can stay at the top no reason the elites of the ACC can't.
Old 21.07.2013, 10:44 PM
Starter

Clemson's average attendance last year was about 79,000 per home game, so I don't think they have a problem in that respect.
Old 22.07.2013, 05:29 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Clemson's average attendance last year was about 79,000 per home game, so I don't think they have a problem in that respect.
I think he meant the trips to Duke, Wake, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, etc.
Old 22.07.2013, 05:36 PM
All Pro

Old 22.07.2013, 05:45 PM
All Pro

Old 23.07.2013, 12:33 AM
Starter

"I think he meant the trips to Duke, Wake, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, etc."

Sorry, I misunderstood his point. That said, every conference, including the SEC, has schools that draw significantly smaller crowds than others. As for the rest of your posts, I am not trying to carry water for Clemson, but they do have a loyal fanbase that will travel to watch them play. And anyone can have a bad game.
Old 23.07.2013, 06:46 AM
MVP

Quote:
"I think he meant the trips to Duke, Wake, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, etc."

Sorry, I misunderstood his point. That said, every conference, including the SEC, has schools that draw significantly smaller crowds than others. As for the rest of your posts, I am not trying to carry water for Clemson, but they do have a loyal fanbase that will travel to watch them play. And anyone can have a bad game.
Last season Florida played as many games in front of sub 80,000 crowds as Clemson did sub 35,000.
Old 23.07.2013, 11:26 AM
Starter

"Last season Florida played as many games in front of sub 80,000 crowds as Clemson did sub 35,000."

That has as much to do with the capacity of stadiums as it does any thing else. Wake Forest and Duke both have stadiums with a capacity of less than 35,000. 5 ACC stadiums have capacities of less than 60,000. (I include both Maryland and Syracuse in that list). The only 2 ACC schools with Stadium capacities in excess of 80,000 are Clemson and Florida State. The only two SEC schools with capacities of less than 60,000 are Mississippi state and Vanderbilt. 8 SEC schools have capacities in excess of 80,000, and 2 (Alabama and Tennessee) can seat 100,000+. The only game Florida played at a small stadium last year was at Vanderbilt.
Old 01.04.2015, 11:54 AM
Hall of Fame

The Charlotte 49ers are joining the FBS in 2015, they'll be in Conference USA. I'm not American history expert but I thought the '49 goldrush happened in California not North Carolina?