Why should I support the Lions? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Detroit Lions

Old 12.02.2017, 01:13 AM
Pro

Default Why should I support the Lions?

I have been a fan of American Football since the days when the Sunday afternoon game was broadcast live on channel 4 but have never picked a favourite team.

Why should I support your team?

Take it away
*pops popcorn*
Old 18.01.2019, 12:20 AM
All Pro

Post Why should I support the Lions?

This is not a selling contest - in time you will gravitate towards a team - almost it will chose you as much as you choose it.

Reasons to pick Detroit:

Your a fan already of one of the cities other teams - it has teams in all 4 major US sports - Ice Hockey, Basketball and Baseball as well as the NFL. Sadly it is not represented in the MLS but does have a lower league soccer team.

Your a car fan - Detroit is known as the motor city and has all 3 of the major US car producers here - Ford, GM & Chrysler.

You like music - Detroit is often referred to as Motown and is home to Motown Records (also has the Motown Museum so you can see the history of this genre of music).

It shares a border with Canada so quite literally you can get a bus to another country - just across the (Detroit) river is another City - Windsor, Ontario - Canada!

No one will call you a glory hunter - Detroit has not won a championship since 1957 (pre-Super Bowl era) and in fact has never been to a Super Bowl. It is one of only 4 current teams in the NFL to have never appeared in a Super Bowl - the other 3 are Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Houston. Since the latter three are expansion teams (Cleveland is a hybrid expansion team) it kind of sad as means Detroit has been trying for about 3 decades longer then the other 3.

Famous people / celebs from Detroit or state of Michigan:

Tom Selleck - Film and television actor/producer.
Jerome Bettis - ex NFL Running Back.
Jerry Bruckheimer - Film and television producer.
Suzi Quatro - British-based American singer-songwriter, bass guitar player, and actor.
Mike Ilitch - American entrepreneur, founder and owner of the international fast food franchise Little Caesars Pizza. He owns the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League and Detroit Tigers of Major League Baseball.
Francis Ford Coppola - Film screenwriter, director and producer.
Diana Ross - singer, songwriter and record producer (+ lead singer of The Supremes).
Madonna - Singer, songwriter and actress. (Bay City, Michigan)

Last edited by bluelionman; 18.01.2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05.06.2019, 09:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisredmond View Post
I have been a fan of American Football since the days when the Sunday afternoon game was broadcast live on channel 4 but have never picked a favourite team.

Why should I support your team?

Take it away
*pops popcorn*
I grew up in the 80s so Detroit was the natural choice for me as I loved Robocop and Beverley Hills Cop.