NFL announces 2019 NFL London Games - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 21.01.2019, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Default NFL announces 2019 NFL London Games

The National Football League today announced the matchups for its five 2019 international regular season games – four in the UK and one in Mexico.

The quality of the 2019 international offering is apparent in three division games and five playoff participants, including the NFC Champion Los Angeles Rams. Two of the four London Games will feature teams playing in the UK for the first time, while Mexico City will host a meeting of long-time AFC West division rivals.

The 2019 international games are:

Mexico: Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers
UK: Carolina Panthers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
UK: Chicago Bears at Oakland Raiders
UK: Cincinnati Bengals at Los Angeles Rams
UK: Houston Texans at Jacksonville Jaguars

Mexico City's Azteca Stadium will host a matchup between the AFC West rival Kansas City Chiefs, beaten in yesterday’s AFC Championship game, and Los Angeles Chargers. Both teams, who finished the 2018 regular-season with identical 12-4 records, will be playing in Mexico for the first time.

The AFC South champion Houston Texans – who face the division-rival Jacksonville Jaguars – and the Carolina Panthers – who face NFC South foes the Tampa Bay Buccaneers – will both make their London debuts. It will bring the total number of NFL teams to have played in the UK to 31 in 28 games by the end of the 2019 season. The Jaguars will be playing a home game in London for the seventh consecutive season.

The newly-crowned NFC champion Los Angeles Rams, who will face the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII, will host the Cincinnati Bengals, while the Oakland Raiders will return to London for the second straight year, facing the NFC North division champion Chicago Bears.

The NFL will play two games at Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium, with two at Wembley Stadium.

Dates, kickoff times and venues for all international games will be announced in conjunction with the release of the full NFL schedule this spring.
Sponsored Links
Old 21.01.2019, 03:17 PM
Team Captain

The Mexico City game should be a cracker.

Pretty good selection for London, to be fair. Two divisional games with the Buccaneers/Panthers and Jaguars/Texans. A Super Bowl participant in the Rams whilst the Bears and Texans were in the Play Offs this season and the Panthers and Jaguars have been very recently.

Now we just need to see which ones are at Wembley (I'm guessing the Jaguars game will be) and which are at Tottenham's stadium, should it ever actually open...
Old 21.01.2019, 03:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Qualcomm - we have read about this all over Twitter etc

How about doing something useful then and make some attempt to arrange to fix the forum site issues rather than make more unnecessary posts solely donw in an attempt to get us to part with our money

I know arranging the fixing of the issues with the site are unlikely to bring in direct cash to those you work for, but such goodwill goes a long way

Knowing this will fall on deaf ears
Old 21.01.2019, 03:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Qualcomm - we have read about this all over Twitter etc

How about doing something useful then and make some attempt to arrange to fix the forum site issues rather than make more unnecessary posts solely donw in an attempt to get us to part with our money

I know arranging the fixing of the issues with the site are unlikely to bring in direct cash to those you work for, but such goodwill goes a long way

Knowing this will fall on deaf ears
I know this place needs fixing, but surely it's relevant to put this info up?

On the forum versus social media thing, I hate social media and refuse to use it. Twitter is useful for some info, like following Rapoport or Schefter, but why would I want to post anything myself and why would anyone care about my tweets? I shut down my Facebook account last year and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel mentally much better for it - it's so negative. If people want to find out what I am doing now they must come and talk to me. Those who do - great. We are probably better at communicating directly now (rather than these horrible show-off life propaganda posts that people do to tell everyone how marvellous everything is). Those who don't come and talk to me - cut loose and no loss there.

For the NFL, I find the level of discussion on social media so shallow and simple. It's depressing. Forums allow us to actually have a proper debate, with reasoned arguments mostly rather than just an emoji, a gif and an insult. So this place should be important to cultivate that. But it clearly isn't... These days I mostly talk NFL with friends on whatsapp groups. Not quite the detail of a forum but better than social media.

Last edited by European Bob; 21.01.2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 21.01.2019, 03:50 PM
MVP

Interesting selection of games. I'll probably go to 1 or 2 but I'll wait to see the schedule and whether it clashes with the Steelers or not as I won't miss a Steeler game for anything. Disappointed we aren't coming over but if anything the rumours I was hearing were Mexico, and even those proved to be false.

Of these games they all look to have some merit at this stage and in each there's one team I've seen before and one I have not, so something new to look forward to. Speculating on best/worst games is a mug's game. By the time the season rolls around the picture could have shifted markedly, and what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily make the most entertaining game. I went to the least attractive game in terms of fans demand last year, Titans-Chargers, and it was easily the most entertaining game. So I'm pretty relaxed about it. It's a nice afternoon out and I'll make my decision later in the year.
Old 21.01.2019, 04:19 PM
Starter

Really disappointed we didn't get the Chiefs/Chargers game, it's a divisional game with the most talent on display, would have been perfect for London. No idea why they would have that in Mexico, and I also have no idea why they wouldn't finally get the Packers over here. They really dropped the ball on that one because nobody is giving up a Packers home game other than the Chargers, so you can forget about the Pack ever coming over here...

Oh well, two of the games are quite good (CAR-TB and CIN-LAR), I love to watch the Bears but not against Oakland, I really hate it when they get a quality team over and pit them against utter dross.
Old 21.01.2019, 05:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed7 View Post
Really disappointed we didn't get the Chiefs/Chargers game, it's a divisional game with the most talent on display, would have been perfect for London. No idea why they would have that in Mexico, and I also have no idea why they wouldn't finally get the Packers over here. They really dropped the ball on that one because nobody is giving up a Packers home game other than the Chargers, so you can forget about the Pack ever coming over here...

Oh well, two of the games are quite good (CAR-TB and CIN-LAR), I love to watch the Bears but not against Oakland, I really hate it when they get a quality team over and pit them against utter dross.
You don't know the details. Away teams can refuse. And certainly when Alastair Kirkwood spoke to Talksport a few years ago he talked about one team being very difficult about coming over. Since then the Seahawks, Texans and Panthers have all agreed to come. So you have to think that that team is the Packers. I know the Ravens have said after last time they won't do it again as well.

Listen, last year everyone was raving about the Eagles and the Jags, with the Raiders and Seahawks close behind. When it came down to it, the Raiders Seahawks game was awful. Point being, don't judge in January what is going to happen in October.
Old 21.01.2019, 06:41 PM
All Pro

Quote:

It's pretty obvious why.

After the debacle in 2018, they are having to re-sell the game to Mexico again. It was always going to be one of the California teams too.
Old 21.01.2019, 06:47 PM
MVP

Quote:

the Chiefs/chargers is a primetime match up which is why we where never going to get it and mexico which after missing out last year needed a great game and it will be either a SNF/MNF game or a game of the week.

with the Packers sure people inside the league office can put pressure on home teams owners to give up good match ups so maybe Green Bay will be over eventually and hopefully while Rodgers is still in his prime.
Old 21.01.2019, 04:21 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I know this place needs fixing, but surely it's relevant to put this info up?

On the forum versus social media thing, I hate social media and refuse to use it. Twitter is useful for some info, like following Rapoport or Schefter, but why would I want to post anything myself and why would anyone care about my tweets? I shut down my Facebook account last year and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel mentally much better for it - it's so negative. If people want to find out what I am doing now they must come and talk to me. Those who do - great. We are probably better at communicating directly now (rather than these horrible show-off life propaganda posts that people do to tell everyone how marvellous everything is). Those who don't come and talk to me - cut loose and no loss there.

For the NFL, I find the level of discussion on social media so shallow and simple. It's depressing. Forums allow us to actually have a proper debate, with reasoned arguments mostly rather than just an emoji, a gif and an insult. So this place should be important to cultivate that. But it clearly isn't... These days I mostly talk NFL with friends on whatsapp groups. Not quite the detail of a forum but better than social media.
It's a bit off topic, but I still use FB, but I do not feel any urge to comment on any big events/topics whatsoever, just because of the things you mentioned. (negative etc.)
However, it keeps me in touch (cheap way) with my friends overseas in the US. Which I can't always afford to call, not to mention the 6hrs time difference.

And now ON topic. Tampa Bay for me! Without a doubt. I've been wanting to go for years! (even before Super Bowl XXXVII), and didn't have the chance first, but now I do! So I'm a happy person today!