Vick: I would love to get another dog in the future - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 17.12.2010, 12:04 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathairtheeagle View Post
the man himself may not love dogs, but do you think Vicks children understand his sentencing?
he says his daughters ask him every day why the family cant get a dog, and do you not think that would be hard for him?
its pretty clear that MV has turned a corner, why can noone let go.?
Maybe it is hard for him, but the simple answer is 'because the last 50 or so dogs daddy had were fought for sport and then killed in the back garden'

You don't go from the primary orchestrator of a massive underground dog-fighting racket to suddenly being all remorseful, seeing the naive error of your ways and loving all animals. It just doesn't work like that.

It wasn't a thoughtless crime of passion, it was a systematic, conscious, and pre-meditated history of abuse and exploitation. You don't suddenly go 'damn, you're right, that was TERRIBLE' as soon as you're caught. He's certainly saying the right things, and doing the right things, but I have a very hard time believing that even a prison sentence could force such a complete about turn in someone's ingrained beliefs and thought process.

I have no problem with Vick making the most of the chance he has now, I like seeing the guy play, I've always loved watching him throw a football, but I think working his way through the number of dogs he did, he's probably exhausted any right to own one from that point on.
Sponsored Links
Old 17.12.2010, 09:18 AM
whitey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
Maybe it is hard for him, but the simple answer is 'because the last 50 or so dogs daddy had were fought for sport and then killed in the back garden'

You don't go from the primary orchestrator of a massive underground dog-fighting racket to suddenly being all remorseful, seeing the naive error of your ways and loving all animals. It just doesn't work like that.

It wasn't a thoughtless crime of passion, it was a systematic, conscious, and pre-meditated history of abuse and exploitation. You don't suddenly go 'damn, you're right, that was TERRIBLE' as soon as you're caught. He's certainly saying the right things, and doing the right things, but I have a very hard time believing that even a prison sentence could force such a complete about turn in someone's ingrained beliefs and thought process.

I have no problem with Vick making the most of the chance he has now, I like seeing the guy play, I've always loved watching him throw a football, but I think working his way through the number of dogs he did, he's probably exhausted any right to own one from that point on.
Well said.

As an ecologist and seeing the exploitation of nature regularly, I do get a little frustrated at some people's attitude to viewing other animals as less important than humans, if we cannot even be bothered about animals we share our lives with closely, what hope for the rest of them.
Old 17.12.2010, 09:59 AM
GOAT

Quote:
You don't go from the primary orchestrator of a massive underground dog-fighting racket to suddenly being all remorseful, seeing the naive error of your ways and loving all animals. It just doesn't work like that
Are you sure? As you have made a statement like that care to back it up?
I dont dispute that there may be some who follow this pre judged formula you mention but equally there are those that it 'does just work like that'.

Perhaps I just have more faith in humanity on some level ..

and no I am not being pious. . it's just how I see and feel about it.
Old 17.12.2010, 10:06 AM
Pro

I am dog lover i have 3 dogs Shetland sheepdogs. On the other hand I have been a Vick fan since he came into the league. He mixed with the wrong people he wasn't from a well off family, he had a hard upbringing mixed with the wrong people, Dog fighting was something he most likely grew up with.

It is something which is unfortunately a regular event in the wannabe gangster Black society in the states. I love all dogs but its not like Vick put 2 golden retrievers in a ring and made them fight, they used pitbulls which with the correct owner can be great family dogs but they are born fighters tbf.

He was a young man he let the money and the power get to his head, he has obviously turned a corner in his life. Vick in away was a blessing there has been alot more focus on dog fighting in a America now and what measures can be put in place to stop it.

The American judicial system is very strict on rick Black Americans it seems especially with extremely hard sentencing of TI the rapper when countless celebrity's including bruno Mars was caught with cocaine but just had a slap on the wrist
Old 17.12.2010, 10:16 AM
Starter

Much as I hate Colin Cowherd - he had a good point about this on the radio yesterday as some people have been comparing Vick to a pedo and saying that letting Vick near a dog is like letting a pedo near a child - but thats absolutely not the case as dog fighting is not an uncontrollable compulsion - it's just something ridiculously nasty and stupid but that you do have control over - it's not a compulsion. There's no reason to think that he would do it again.

Vick said he'd like to have a dog in part as he thinks it would help with his rehabilitation and maybe it would. Especially if his kids would really like a dog - if Vick and his family owned a dog and the dog lived in a proper family environment as a pet dog is supposed to - maybe it would be really good for him.

I really hated what Vick did and went right off the Eagles when he signed up with them, but he hasnt really put a foot wrong since and I must say that he's growing on me now.
Old 17.12.2010, 10:34 AM
All Pro

I've said on another thread that dog-fighting is abhorrent and that Michael Vick is hopefully working with people like the Humane Society in America to hopefully show him how loving, loyal, devoted, rewarding, great animals domestic dogs can be. Wouldn't it be nice to think that having learnt all that at some point he gets to experience it and has a pet dog to love as a friend rather than utilise as an object for sick thrills and gambling gain.
Old 17.12.2010, 11:48 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieandrews View Post
Much as I hate Colin Cowherd - he had a good point about this on the radio yesterday as some people have been comparing Vick to a pedo and saying that letting Vick near a dog is like letting a pedo near a child - but thats absolutely not the case as dog fighting is not an uncontrollable compulsion - it's just something ridiculously nasty and stupid but that you do have control over - it's not a compulsion. There's no reason to think that he would do it again.
The comparison is that they both demonstrate an inherent warped mindset. One in the attraction to Children and one that deems the lives of animals as inconsequential.

You don't rehabilitate that mindset just by being caught, it's not like they didn't know it was wrong to begin with.
Old 17.12.2010, 11:57 AM
whitey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacino_1992 View Post
He mixed with the wrong people he wasn't from a well off family, he had a hard upbringing mixed with the wrong people, Dog fighting was something he most likely grew up with.
I can appreciate how it must be harder to realise when something is wrong, when those around you normalise it. However, you still have the chance to say 'no, this is not right, it is cruel'.

Vick was either very unintelligent to know that the act caused severe pain to dogs leading to death or having to be killed, or he knew all that and just didn't give a ****.

Hopefully he has now been educated, or we have to take his word for his change in attitude to being more compassionate to animals.

Either way, I don't think he should be allowed to own a dog again, he did what he did, live with the consequences. Of course I am not the law, and it does appear he is legally entitled to own an dog again in the future.
Old 17.12.2010, 12:07 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathairtheeagle View Post
the man himself may not love dogs, but do you think Vicks children understand his sentencing?
he says his daughters ask him every day why the family cant get a dog, and do you not think that would be hard for him?
its pretty clear that MV has turned a corner, why can noone let go.?
Why?? Because he is playing well at football??
Maybe he should sit his daughters down and tell them exactly what happened and then they will know why they can't have a dog or probably any other animal for that matter.
I can't believe people are so thick and ignorant that they think just because someone plays well at whatever sport, they are then totally rehabilitated and everything should be forgotten about.
Old 17.12.2010, 12:32 PM
MVP

dance puppets dance mwahhaha

He sure is wrapping some folk around his finger.