Jim Harbaugh to the 49ers - Page 9 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 08.01.2011, 11:47 AM
All Pro

I just not sure about us taking a vetran from another team as QB. Personally I dont see a feasible option that is any better than Alex Smith, although they would be given more time by the faithful and wouldnt get booed as quickly
Sponsored Links
Old 08.01.2011, 12:03 PM
MVP

Seeing as we need at least 3 QBs, we're going to have to draft at least one. Assuming the Smiths don't return.
Old 08.01.2011, 01:34 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
I apologise at my "outburst" at your once glorious franchise, but thats all it is now, just like my team

There are far too many on this forum who have, and are willing to have a crack at Harbaugh purely for the way he has conducted himself in recent days.

Just wait a year or so, this guy has golddust, you will see. your not gonna be sorry you hired him.
Agree with the last statement, considering the restrictions in terms of academic qualifications that Harbaugh has had to deal with it's amazing how quickly he turned Stanford around into a genuine contender.

As for the QB situation, I imagine they go out and get a veteran (Kyle Orton maybe???) and possibly spend a later round pick on a QB (Delaware’s Pat Delvin, who knows) Personally can't see Mallet or Newton as the type of QB's Harbaugh will want so doubt they go with anyone in the first round...unless he takes a punt on Blaine Gabbert.

However I think he rebuilds other areas of the team, that secondary certainly needs work, and maybe waits for Mr Luck come 2012....even without the 1st pick I'm sure if he really wants him he will find a way.

Anyway, glad for the 49'ers, have a soft spot for ther city (So much so I am getting married there!) and happy that they got their man.
Old 08.01.2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJack View Post
I'm not suggesting Mallett is a finished product, far from it, but for a 6'7 235lb guy, I think he's more than adequate, he has all the physical tools to improve himself at the next level, and I see no reason to think he won't. He can make all the throws required of an NFL QB, and due to his arm strength, he's also been able to get the ball into windows in coverage. I'd be pretty stunned if he started, but he has a ton of upside IMO.

Strengths:

•Incredible size and arm strength
•Improved his accuracy, touch, and decision making, considerably as a junior.
•Throws a nice deep ball
•A pocket passer who moves around well between the tackles
•Reads defenses well and does a good job picking up his second and third options
•Plays with a lot of passion and confidence
•Has room to get even better with solid coaching

Weaknesses:

•Inconsistent footwork
•Slower-than-desired release delivery and release
•Needs to learn to lead his receivers better
•Not real mobile
•Doesn't throw well on the run
•Will have to adjust to playing under center more in the NFL
Mallet might also score in single digits in the Wonderlic. He is not a good fit at all for the offense Jim Harbaugh will be installing. Blaine Gabbert of Missouri is probably the best fit and I would not rule out Jake Locker either as Harbaugh has seen a lot of him in the PAC 10.
Old 09.01.2011, 12:51 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Mallet might also score in single digits in the Wonderlic. He is not a good fit at all for the offense Jim Harbaugh will be installing. Blaine Gabbert of Missouri is probably the best fit and I would not rule out Jake Locker either as Harbaugh has seen a lot of him in the PAC 10.
I think from a decision making stand point he's not shown he's up to the task.
Old 09.01.2011, 01:03 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Is it OK for me to argue "he might not" then

Gabbert is currently flavour of the month, but IMO he's inaccurate, and is a product of a gimmick offense.
He's also developed a habit of pulling down the ball and running with it too soon at times, instead of waiting for the play to develop, this is due in part to Gabbert's field vision (or lack their off) in Missouri's spread style offense, the quarterback looks primarily for the deep ball rather than reading through his progressions and checking down to another receiving option, hardly West Coast, I'm not suggesting he can't learn the system, but IMO, the same can be said of Mallett?
Gabbert will also have to prove he can take a snap from under the centre, drop back, read, and deliver an accurate pass. As I said earlier, Mallett is a work in progress, however, I think he's further along than Gabbert?
Old 09.01.2011, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJack View Post
Is it OK for me to argue "he might not" then

Gabbert is currently flavour of the month, but IMO he's inaccurate, and is a product of a gimmick offense.
He's also developed a habit of pulling down the ball and running with it too soon at times, instead of waiting for the play to develop, this is due in part to Gabbert's field vision (or lack their off) in Missouri's spread style offense, the quarterback looks primarily for the deep ball rather than reading through his progressions and checking down to another receiving option, hardly West Coast, I'm not suggesting he can't learn the system, but IMO, the same can be said of Mallett?
Gabbert will also have to prove he can take a snap from under the centre, drop back, read, and deliver an accurate pass. As I said earlier, Mallett is a work in progress, however, I think he's further along than Gabbert?
Whoa, whoa where did I say you could not argue your case? Am I not allowed to politely disagree without the derogatory rolleyes?

I'm just saying that Mallett is a total knucklehead who would make Vince Young look like a Rhodes Scholar. His skills do not fit the profile of a Jim Harbaugh QB and while Gabbert is far from perfect I agree, at least he has more of the attributes that the 49ers will be looking for in a QB to run their offense.
Old 09.01.2011, 08:28 PM
All Pro

I have long been an advocate of bringing Kyle Orton to SF. From what I can tell, he would be a decent fit in a west coast offense, and if he's available for a 2nd round pick as is rumoured, I think that would be a decent use of the pick.

No idea what Harbaugh will be after in terms of college QBs - probably not Newton, but more than that I don't know anything at all about college football.
Old 10.01.2011, 10:19 AM
Pro

Gabbert is just on a hype train atm. Come feb/march time he will be behind devlin and Ponder so he shouldnt even be in consideration right now.

The smart move for the 49ers would be to trade for a QB like Orton, he has proved himself to a certain extent that he would be good enough to make the 49ers in a weak division a constant playoff team for the next 5years. For a 2nd round pick defo worth it.

This will allow them to improve there front on D or grab a corner in the first round.

Mallet i am not sold on i wouldn't laugh at anybody who takes him in the first round he is a legit prospect. If he is working on his speed right now loses a few pounds and does well at the combine he is worth a shot. Just he could easily make the 49ers worst and make jim harbaugh nfl story very short. I feel could grab devlin in the 2nd and try and do what his bro has done with flacco.
Old 10.01.2011, 10:52 AM
All Pro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Whoa, whoa where did I say you could not argue your case? Am I not allowed to politely disagree without the derogatory rolleyes?

I'm just saying that Mallett is a total knucklehead who would make Vince Young look like a Rhodes Scholar. His skills do not fit the profile of a Jim Harbaugh QB and while Gabbert is far from perfect I agree, at least he has more of the attributes that the 49ers will be looking for in a QB to run their offense.
You didn't, it was merely my way of asking for "something more", regarding your comment, "he might". If that was your argument, I was simply pointing out it's lack of credibility with a likewise response, "he might not"