NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11.01.2019, 10:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldenavn View Post
Because of the rule requiring a team to host an international game within five years of being awarded a Super Bowl, Atlanta are due to play one very soon. So that may rule them out of being picked as a road team.

They were awarded SB LIII in spring 2016. Assuming that season did not count, as it was too late to schedule one, that means it needs to be played between 2017 and 2021.

According to Alistair Kirkwood, home teams can veto divisional games and protect one other. I would have expected the Giants would be the game Tampa Bay would protect, as with all their attendance problems the transplanted population means they should still be able to sell that one out.

To me the Bucs seem to offer a good opportunity to bring Houston to the U.K. The Jaguars are able to veto them as a divisional opponent, and I would be shocked if the league do not do everything they can to use the Chargers game to have Green Bay play here. They will never have a better opportunity to do so.

As seen by some of the past offerings, quality of matchup does not matter that much to the league whilst they know the games will sell out anyway. And the possibility of a team making their first visit to the U.K. makes a game marketable in its own right.

I would not rule out the Giants, but I would think the league would go after the Texans even if it were not protected.
Cant disagree with much of what you said.
Pack @ Chargers makes the most sense regarding getting the Packers over here for the UK audience.
I think the Texans are pretty strong come over either to face the Buccs or Jags and in fact id be more surprised if the Texans arent involved in a game.
Buccs opponents are probably one of 1) Panthers 2) Texans 3a) Giants 3b) Falcons in roughly that order of happening.

If we assume the Rams are going to Mexico, who faces the Raiders over here?
Non-divisional games are vs: Jags, Titans, Bears, Lions, Bengals.
I think you put Jags and Titans to the back of the order (one plays here each year and the other played in 2018). From the other 3 id say Bears is a fair shout due to their large(ish) UK fanbase, havent been over in nearly a decade and have an interesting team. The other 2 have been over in recent years and dont have SB hosting commitments to fulfill.
Whilst it would be surprising i wouldnt necessarily be shocked to see the Broncos back over, though being a divisional game with decent rivalry, i think this is unlikely.