Politics - Page 1607 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16061  
Old 30.01.2019, 11:37 PM
Dj00ns Dj00ns is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 20.09.2018
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
So, May's negotiation almost certainly goes nowhere. Apparently Donald Tusk actually spoke to Mrs May BEFORE she stood up last night to tell her it had no chance. Parliament will not allow a No Deal. Impasse. Where else to go but some kind of 2nd vote? I just can't see another referendum though because quite what happens if Leave or Remain squeak a win is anyone's guess. Civil War maybe?
Unfortunately it is not really an impasse.

Parliament needs to get behind something to avoid a No Deal. Whether that is Mays deal or extending Article 50 or whatever, it has to be something because otherwise the clock will just tick down to 29th March and we crash out.

The only person who could present a coherent alternative to May - the only person with the votes to build a proper block around - is Corbyn. This is his job after all. Opposing the Government. But there is not a statesmanly bone in his body.

Given the time frame, it will be Mays deal or no deal now I think. Probably Mays deal, because if she just keeps running the clock down the choice in the end will genuinely be between her deal and no deal, and then a vote against her deal will be a vote for no deal. Even the Lib Dems and SNP will probably vote for it under those circumstances. Bitter pill though it would be, they are practical people at heart. Unlike the DUP and ERG.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #16062  
Old 31.01.2019, 12:00 AM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
so if Labour voters are 65% Remain "why" is Corbyn scared to even mention a 2nd vote,why was the Guardian last weekend quoting internal Labour polling about the damage to the party going forward if they backed a 2nd vote.

maybe the numbers are impacted more on the London bubble because outside of there seem to remember massive Leave numbers in Labour strong holds.

was pointed out yesterday that main Remainer Yvette Cooper represents a constituency that votes 70-30 to Leave and during the 2017 election she campaigned on "will not vote to stop Brexit" so maybe its these Labour supporters they where talking about.
You'll have to ask Corbyn that. But Labour Leave voters are not the majority. My theory is that Corbyn's whole ideology is based on supporting the disadvantaged underdog. And Labour Leave voters are the disadvantaged underdog. They are in the main poor, under educated, struggling to get by, living in communities and working in jobs that have never recovered from the decline in industrialisation. Whereas Remain Labour voters - including his own constituents, let's not forget - tend to be better off, better educated, with better prospects. Not all though. You call London a 'bubble' but London has areas of immense poverty too. Parts of Hackney or Tottenham that vote heavily for Labour and heavily for Remain. Cornyn's obsession with the underdog is, in my view, the reason he struggles so much on the Jewish issue. It's the one minority he doesn't care about, because in the main they are disproportionately successful in the world. So he doesn't care for them. That despite the fact that in the constituency next to his you will find literally thousands of dirt poor Haredi Jews who struggle to make ends meet.

Cornyn's leadership on this issue has been very poor, and I don't think many expect paid up Momentum members of members of the shadow cabinet would disagree with that.

As for Cooper - there are people like that on both sides. The role of MPs is not to just parrot what their constituents think. But in any case, it cuts both ways on Brexit. Lambeth was one of the very highest Remain voting areas. It doesn't stop Kate Hoey, MP for Vauxhall, repeatedly voting in favour of what she wants rather than what her constituents think. And not just on Brexit either. Fox hunting, you name it. I sometimes wonder if she accidentally joined the wrong party. But such is the idiocy of party tribalism that these constituents still voted her back in in 2017. And Yvette Cooper increased her share of the vote in Pontefract and Castleford too.
Reply With Quote
  #16063  
Old 31.01.2019, 10:08 AM
LesterHayes's Avatar
LesterHayes LesterHayes is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.08.2012
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj00ns View Post
Unfortunately it is not really an impasse.

Parliament needs to get behind something to avoid a No Deal. Whether that is Mays deal or extending Article 50 or whatever, it has to be something because otherwise the clock will just tick down to 29th March and we crash out.

The only person who could present a coherent alternative to May - the only person with the votes to build a proper block around - is Corbyn. This is his job after all. Opposing the Government. But there is not a statesmanly bone in his body.

Given the time frame, it will be Mays deal or no deal now I think. Probably Mays deal, because if she just keeps running the clock down the choice in the end will genuinely be between her deal and no deal, and then a vote against her deal will be a vote for no deal. Even the Lib Dems and SNP will probably vote for it under those circumstances. Bitter pill though it would be, they are practical people at heart. Unlike the DUP and ERG.
Having thought about this a bit more I think you're right which brings me back to my original position - May's deal and everyone having to bite the bullet on the Backstop.

For anyone who wants to listen to how people are actually affected by the implications of the Backstop (or lack of it) on the island of Ireland please go and listen to Simon Coveney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieS4JQ9WQU8

A more honest, heart felt and clinical deconstruction of all the bluster and ideological nonsense chirped by Rees-Mogg et al you won't find anywhere.

Last edited by LesterHayes; 31.01.2019 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16064  
Old 01.02.2019, 07:04 PM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is online now
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,314
Default

a perfect time for Jonathan Pie



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-x6Ct2OwOA
Reply With Quote
  #16065  
Old 01.02.2019, 10:18 PM
Tamar Raider's Avatar
Tamar Raider Tamar Raider is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 12.08.2013
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
a perfect time for Jonathan Pie



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-x6Ct2OwOA
There's never a wrong time for Pie
Reply With Quote
  #16066  
Old 04.02.2019, 10:51 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,145
Default

Project Fear continues as Nissan confirms it will shift production of the new model X-Trail from Sunderland to Japan, citing Brexit uncertainty as the reason.

A good article here from David Conn in the Guardian about Nissan and the north-east. Conn usually writes about football corruption and was excellent on FIFA and its cronies, but here says people were never told how important EU membership was to Nissan being in the region and the country: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...anese-carmaker
Reply With Quote
  #16067  
Old 05.02.2019, 09:45 AM
LesterHayes's Avatar
LesterHayes LesterHayes is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.08.2012
Posts: 2,990
Default

To balance it a bit Bob they didn't just cite Brexit uncertainty but also the problems with diesel and I'm sure the free trade deal that Japan has just about sorted out with the EU plays too. I also heard whispers about the X-Trail being a crappy car that no-one wants or something?

Having said that there is absolutely no doubt that we are starting to see quite a lot of business uncertainty manifest itself in worrying ways. Barclays moved $218 billion worth of assets to Dublin on January 30th, Sony has gone to Holland already, P&O have put all their ships, ironically including the Spirit of Britain, on a Cypriot flag and just about every bank has already set up or is the process of setting up EU offices. In the car industry BMW and a few others have talked about shut downs of production lines after March and supermarkets are warning of the scarcity of some fresh items. And lets not forget that good old James Dyson, champion of the 'Better after Brexit' brigade has also just gone to Singapore. Project Fear, it seems, turns out to be Project Reality after all.

Last edited by LesterHayes; 05.02.2019 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16068  
Old 05.02.2019, 08:11 PM
Tamar Raider's Avatar
Tamar Raider Tamar Raider is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 12.08.2013
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
To balance it a bit Bob they didn't just cite Brexit uncertainty but also the problems with diesel and I'm sure the free trade deal that Japan has just about sorted out with the EU plays too. I also heard whispers about the X-Trail being a crappy car that no-one wants or something?

Having said that there is absolutely no doubt that we are starting to see quite a lot of business uncertainty manifest itself in worrying ways. Barclays moved $218 billion worth of assets to Dublin on January 30th, Sony has gone to Holland already, P&O have put all their ships, ironically including the Spirit of Britain, on a Cypriot flag and just about every bank has already set up or is the process of setting up EU offices. In the car industry BMW and a few others have talked about shut downs of production lines after March and supermarkets are warning of the scarcity of some fresh items. And lets not forget that good old James Dyson, champion of the 'Better after Brexit' brigade has also just gone to Singapore. Project Fear, it seems, turns out to be Project Reality after all.
Agree with all the above, I also saw a quote from a motor journalist on twitter about how in the next two weeks the Japanese and South Korean car companies will need to make a decision about shipping vehicles and parts to the UK as they currently don't know what customs and tariffs they'll be arriving under when the ships would arrive here.
Reply With Quote
  #16069  
Old 05.02.2019, 08:33 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 9,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Project Fear continues as Nissan confirms it will shift production of the new model X-Trail from Sunderland to Japan, citing Brexit uncertainty as the reason.

A good article here from David Conn in the Guardian about Nissan and the north-east. Conn usually writes about football corruption and was excellent on FIFA and its cronies, but here says people were never told how important EU membership was to Nissan being in the region and the country: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...anese-carmaker
think you meant to say "Brexit uncertainty as a reason" if you read the letter properly.the whole diesel market in the UK has changed since they announced this a few years back which is the main reason.

also Nissan and most of the companies up here linked to the motor industry definetly let there employee's know the possible damage of voting LEAVE but guess they just voted with there hearts instead.
Reply With Quote
  #16070  
Old 05.02.2019, 08:42 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 9,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
To balance it a bit Bob they didn't just cite Brexit uncertainty but also the problems with diesel and I'm sure the free trade deal that Japan has just about sorted out with the EU plays too. I also heard whispers about the X-Trail being a crappy car that no-one wants or something?

Having said that there is absolutely no doubt that we are starting to see quite a lot of business uncertainty manifest itself in worrying ways. Barclays moved $218 billion worth of assets to Dublin on January 30th, Sony has gone to Holland already, P&O have put all their ships, ironically including the Spirit of Britain, on a Cypriot flag and just about every bank has already set up or is the process of setting up EU offices. In the car industry BMW and a few others have talked about shut downs of production lines after March and supermarkets are warning of the scarcity of some fresh items. And lets not forget that good old James Dyson, champion of the 'Better after Brexit' brigade has also just gone to Singapore. Project Fear, it seems, turns out to be Project Reality after all.
think you missed Dyson "going to Singapore" misses out they have announced zero job losses in the UK and have committed investment in the UK.

the Singapore move seems more tied in with there other business decision to get into electric cars which there other business partners in this deal are all based out there.

if only parliament hadn't spent all this time delaying Brexit and just got behind Mays deal which business has backed and said would give them what they need and none of this would still be dragging on and some out there want months more with unpopular 2nd votes or the disaster of a general election extending the uncertainty.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 01:53 AM.