The future of London games - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 01.02.2019, 05:08 PM
Pro Bowler

On what basis are you certain Kirkwood was referring to the Packers, given you are accusing the team personnel of flat out lying.

Two results from the first page of a quick Google search:

2015: “We would love to play an away game (in London). We’ve made the league aware of that,” Murphy was quoted as saying. “The challenge is that our fans travel so well to away games in the United States that teams are very reluctant to give up home games against the Packers.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/other...91tkvh4cwaub8i

Last November: "We continue to be open to playing in London, however, we have not had any discussions on specific possibilities for next season," said Packers spokesman Aaron Popkey.

https://eu.greenbaypressgazette.com/...in/1836423002/

I am also quite sure that Kirkwood is one of the people to state that teams are unwilling to give up games against the Packers due to their travelling support. I believe it was on Darren Fletcher and Vernon Kaye's podcast last year, when he explained the process of how games are chosen.

Once upon a time he used to do regular Q&As where fans could put those kind of questions to him. I am not sure if he decided to stop them or they were lost due to the league appointing a digital media manager who feels the best use of their resources is to ignore and annoy fans.

But, aside from a franchise happening, if there are too few volunteers then what do you think will happen? Because either the owners collectively agree that more of them will give up games or they will have to scrap the whole venture and write-off the losses, with the bad P.R. that will make a future franchise far more difficult. I is a pretty binary option for them, no teams means no games,
Sponsored Links
Old 02.02.2019, 02:56 PM
Pro Bowler

I can't see a new franchise coming to London via expansion, maybe a team would relocate here but i'm not sure of that ever happening.

I could see the next CBA including a 17th regular season game being played by all teams at a neutral venue though, 16 games being played at 4? cities around the world would work out well and the teams would be able to rotate around that you would get to see your team fairly regularly.
Old 02.02.2019, 08:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldenavn View Post
On what basis are you certain Kirkwood was referring to the Packers, given you are accusing the team personnel of flat out lying.
The interview he gave 1-2 years ago on the Nat Coombes show on Talksport 2 hinted quite heavily that it was Green Bay. Apart from anything else, all the other teams that fans clamoured after in big numbers had already been. From memory he talked of lobbying hard to get a certain team over but delicately hinted that they either weren't interested or were very sceptical. With respect to the Texans or Panthers, I don't think he was talking about them.

Team personnel lying? This is the NFL. Team personnel lie all the time. Though I never accused anyone of lying, you brought that language in. It's perfectly possible that front office is keen on the idea but the coaching staff is not, for example. Even if not lying, teams certainly like to blow smoke up people's you know whats. The Steelers ownership is always doing this with Mexico. Smaller scale, but nothing has materialised.
Old 02.02.2019, 09:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Raider View Post
I can't see a new franchise coming to London via expansion, maybe a team would relocate here but i'm not sure of that ever happening.

I could see the next CBA including a 17th regular season game being played by all teams at a neutral venue though, 16 games being played at 4? cities around the world would work out well and the teams would be able to rotate around that you would get to see your team fairly regularly.
I don't think the NFL will try to expand, due to product dilution. However, I find NFL Network's rumoured interest in picking up AAF games this coming inaugural season to be interesting. I wonder if they see value in making this a designated feeder league in the medium-to-long term. You'd simply ignore it if it held zero interest to you. That is probably better than expanding - and diluting - the quality of your main product. Any London franchise would need to relocate, I think. In terms of who, whoever fits the bill at the time, I guess. Looking now for the future, I'd say the Chargers if LA doesn't work out and they can't move back to San Diego, or Cincinnati perhaps. In terms of this moment, however, I don't see any team being a viable relocation candidate. Which is largely irrelevant as London is not ready yet anyway.
Old 11.02.2019, 05:37 PM
Pro

Quote:

i like this idea, and i am led to believe it is on the table at next CBA, the carrot being the loss of 2 preseason games and an extra bye week, therefore taking regular season to 19 weeks. 2 more prime time weeks for TV deals

teams would hold more joint practices to replace evaluation aspect of preseason - which most coaches favor anyway.
The 16 neutral games would not necessarily be abroad, and dont think it would be as simple as 4 hosts of 4 games, but would ensure a continued and plentiful supply of games to dot around.

does seem to make a lot of sense but NFLPA appear ready to go to war on anything and everything so could be lucky to see games at all!!
Old 11.02.2019, 09:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
does seem to make a lot of sense but NFLPA appear ready to go to war on anything and everything so could be lucky to see games at all!!
Hopefully they come around.
Old 11.02.2019, 10:06 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
i like this idea, and i am led to believe it is on the table at next CBA, the carrot being the loss of 2 preseason games and an extra bye week, therefore taking regular season to 19 weeks. 2 more prime time weeks for TV deals

teams would hold more joint practices to replace evaluation aspect of preseason - which most coaches favor anyway.
The 16 neutral games would not necessarily be abroad, and dont think it would be as simple as 4 hosts of 4 games, but would ensure a continued and plentiful supply of games to dot around.

Yeah I could see this working. Wonder if teams like the Packers or Cowboys would try to get venues like Milwaukee or San Antonio.

Linking to the above post, the NFL is indeed getting involved a bit in the AAF. I wonder if this could be, indirectly, a way of thinning down the rosters come training camp. Getting the AAF to do some of the work for the NFL teams in the spring such that maybe they can start with fewer than 90 players on the roster and it’s easier to trim down to 53 in 2 preseason games.

Personally I’d like to see a rivalry game established for each team (not as neutral site games), like they do in college. In some cases even though the 2 teams are in different conferences, they will still play once a year. Cowboys-Texans, Giants-Jets, Steelers-Eagles, that kind of thing. For some teams it might make more sense just to use an existing divisional rivalry instead. It’s cool in college when you have late season rivalry games. In some cases divisional games like Ohio State-Michigan, in others geographical cross-conference rivalries like Florida State-Florida.
Old 12.02.2019, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

I’d like to see practice squad players and those on the International Pathway Program be allowed to play in the AAF to gain real game experience. It would be really beneficial for guys like Alex Gray with the Falcons and Moritz Boeringer, who is now a TE with the Bengals.
Old 12.02.2019, 08:24 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
I’d like to see practice squad players and those on the International Pathway Program be allowed to play in the AAF to gain real game experience. It would be really beneficial for guys like Alex Gray with the Falcons and Moritz Boeringer, who is now a TE with the Bengals.
It would certainly make sense, I wonder if they plan to expand the AAF into Europe eventually.
Old 13.02.2019, 06:06 PM
Pro

Quote:
It would certainly make sense, I wonder if they plan to expand the AAF into Europe eventually.
The powers behind the AAF seem very focused on onfield product to me and make a lot of noises about avoiding pitfalls of original XFL and CFL us expansion etc. subsequently, i am not sure they would take dive into europe all that soon, but it is possible i guess

XFL on other hand, loose canon and could do anything at anytime really

an established development league is badly needed in pro football in my opinion and seems promising the nfl are embracing AAF rather than crushing it