Thursday Night games to be sold off? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 13.01.2014, 02:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Thursday Night games to be sold off?

http://nesn.com/2014/01/nfl-in-talks...r-tv-networks/
Sponsored Links
Old 13.01.2014, 11:21 PM
Starter

The problem is that some of the matches are rather unattractive. Will the broadcaster have some say in what matches are scheduled on a Thursday night? I can't imagine ESPN have no say for Monday nights.
Old 13.01.2014, 11:40 PM
All Pro

I just hope we will continue to get them as part of the UK package regardless of where they move to in America.
Old 14.01.2014, 03:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenAboutTheDolphins View Post
I just hope we will continue to get them as part of the UK package regardless of where they move to in America.
We would, the US host broadcaster is irrelevant to how the games are packaged and sold internationally. The league owns the rights outside the US, not the networks.

For example, Sky have the Thursday night Kick Off and Thanksgiving games instead of Channel 4, even though they are part of the Sunday Night package for NBC.

This move has been long expected and makes sense for the league. They need games to force cable companies and other providers to make their network widely available.

Once viewers, and so TV providers, treat it as a must have channel adding extra games does not change that. So they do not get any extra benefit in that regard by keeping all the games to themselves over the former half-season package that provided the increase to their carriage.

While the extra early season games means they can charge carriers more for the channel, it would not make them as much as auctioning them off as there is interest.

The newly launched Fox Sports 1 wants to compete with ESPN, and adding the NFL is easily the best way to do that. MNF is significantly more valuable for ESPN that anything else they show.

NBCSN is still a niche channel, built around the NHL, Premier League soccer, and F1 with Nascar to be added. For them adding NFL would see them better able to compete with Fox Sports.

Turner could use the NFL to base a full sports network around, combining it with NBA, MLB, and March Madness rights they already own for TNT and TBS. They also own the digital Bleacher Report sports media company, so it would be a logical move for them to create a single sport brand to compete with ESPN, Fox Sports, and NBC.

TNT also used to air football when the Sunday Night package was first created. Because of their commitment to Sunday Night Baseball, ESPN could only show football in the latter half of the season so the rights were split. It was only when ESPN2 launched that they were able to cover both and could hold the full season package.

Alternatively with NBC's primetime schedule having been struggling on a Thursday night for many years they may even consider the games as an option for the main network. It would also fit is nicely with the Kick Off and Thanksgiving games already airing then. Although I cannot see the other broadcast networks being as interested.

With so many broadcasters who would benefit from a package of games it does not matter how great the quality of the featured matchups. It is the NFL, it will rate well regardless. And with every team required to play one Thursday night game then some of the games will include bigger name teams.

Also, it is not like the Premier League on Setanta or ESPN where viewers decided the quality of games were not worth an extra subscription. The most likely channels to air the games are ones fans will already have, so the choice will simply be whether to watch or not. It is not as though people were not already making the choice to watch them on NFL Network, so they will come with a built-in audience.
Old 14.01.2014, 03:23 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenAboutTheDolphins View Post
Some people on here would rather not have them as they don't agree with the idea of Thursday Night Football bar Thanksgiving of course.
Old 14.01.2014, 03:24 PM
Pro Bowler

TBH at the start of the season, TNF had an equal or even slightly superior line up than MNF which has ben pretty bad since its signature 2010 season.
Old 14.01.2014, 03:29 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatmanp View Post
TBH at the start of the season, TNF had an equal or even slightly superior line up than MNF which has ben pretty bad since its signature 2010 season.
I like it the more nights of football the less I might be forced to watch soccer.
Old 14.01.2014, 03:30 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman12 View Post
I like it the more nights of football the less I might be forced to watch soccer.
As with everything I'll repeat the old mantra:
"Money, dear boy"
Old 14.01.2014, 06:29 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldenavn View Post
We would, the US host broadcaster is irrelevant to how the games are packaged and sold internationally. The league owns the rights outside the US, not the networks.
That is reassuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman12 View Post
Some people on here would rather not have them as they don't agree with the idea of Thursday Night Football bar Thanksgiving of course.
Yes, I'm not the biggest champion of Thursday Night games for a number of reasons, but at the end of the day its football and its not as if my diary is bursting with activities between 1am-4:45am on a Thursday Night/Friday Mornings