What a ride - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 22.12.2014, 12:43 AM
Team Captain

Default What a ride

1st season following the Cowboys and in the early part of this year I posted what should I expect? I was told to expect a bumpy ride. It has been just that what with the 1st game against the 49ers and me thinking what have I done and then with Tony doing his back the cowboys doing a number over the champs and then actually seeing them live at Wembley then the period between thanksgiving and yesterday where I thought that's it the eagles aint going to mess up after the beating last week so its enjoyable season but no playoffs.

Until now baby. What a sport! what a weekend!
Sponsored Links
Old 22.12.2014, 03:19 PM
Hall of Fame

and it isn't over yet!

I don't think even the most optimistic of fans could have seen this coming. Fair play to the team though, they've taken that negativity and used it to their advantage. You definitely picked a great season to follow the team.

As you've realised, the chances are there are still plenty of twists and turns to come from this team yet too.
Old 23.12.2014, 01:04 AM
Pro

A good first season indeed. My first season I recall vivdly as it was the year that Tim Krumrie (sp?) had a horrendous leg break in the Superbowl when the Bengals got beaten by Joe Montana and Jerry Rice and the 49ers. That was the last year of Tom Laundry 1988 (3-13) and the start of the Jones / Johnston era. 1989 (1-15). Thankfully things picked up after that!
Old 23.12.2014, 01:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreblast View Post
A good first season indeed. My first season I recall vivdly as it was the year that Tim Krumrie (sp?) had a horrendous leg break in the Superbowl when the Bengals got beaten by Joe Montana and Jerry Rice and the 49ers. That was the last year of Tom Laundry 1988 (3-13) and the start of the Jones / Johnston era. 1989 (1-15). Thankfully things picked up after that!
Random question, but was that the Superbowl when they had giant helmets for each team in the corners of the field when the teams ran out? They may have released balloons from them as well? I've had that image in my head for years, it was definitely the Bengals vs 49ers (I think), but can never find an image of it. I'm sure it was in a dome too, but might be wrong.

Perhaps I've just made it up from different memories over the years though.
Old 19.01.2015, 09:26 PM
Pro

My memory isn't that good I'm afraid.

You know why I picked the Dallas Cowboys. JR Ewing and Southfork! The title sequence of Dallas showing Cowboy Statium. Simple as that.

My brother supports the Jets, not quite sure why, possibly because green was his favourite colour back in the day.
Old 20.01.2015, 12:18 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Staying with that 1-15. Been reading up when Jones took over with Johnson. Can any of you long term supporters see any similarities in the way they came off that terrible season to build up through '90 '91 to this year albeit 3 8-8 seasons not a total disaster. I know a lot has been made of the new triplets.
Old 20.01.2015, 05:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
Staying with that 1-15. Been reading up when Jones took over with Johnson. Can any of you long term supporters see any similarities in the way they came off that terrible season to build up through '90 '91 to this year albeit 3 8-8 seasons not a total disaster. I know a lot has been made of the new triplets.
I was 10 in 1991, so my analysis skills weren't up to much.

That 90's success though included Troy Aikman as the #1 pick at the most important position of all, the massive Herschel Walker trade that netted the Cowboys about 10 players, including Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson, and until '94 was done without the salary cap iirc.

This team has hovered around that 8 - 8 mark, and been up against the salary cap. They've never had those premium high draft picks, apart from Tyron Smith and Mo Claibourne. Building the O line in recent years has suited their draft position, picking a center at #31, and a OG at #16, will often get you pretty good value.

I think this team was all about 'getting over the hump'. The Cowboys of the late 80's/early 90's was like starting over.
Old 20.01.2015, 10:17 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
the massive Herschel Walker trade
A school friend, who I see to this day, is a Vikings fan! God he hated that trade! Getting Aikman #1 and that trade (thought by many to be the most lop sided in NFL history) basically built the team. Walker had to be paid by Jerry to go AFAIK!

One thing I recently learnt about that whole era (it was from a Mickey Spagnola article I think, could be wrong though... Nick or Brian maybe) is that Jerry wanted to take over a clean slate, ie have had Laundry already fired, but H.R. "Bum" Bright didn't have the balls to do it. Then Jerry got made out as the bad guy. Also Jimmy Johnston was at least his third choice as head coach.
Old 20.01.2015, 10:39 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
A school friend, who I see to this day, is a Vikings fan! God he hated that trade! Getting Aikman #1 and that trade (thought by many to be the most lop sided in NFL history) basically built the team. Walker had to be paid by Jerry to go AFAIK!

One thing I recently learnt about that whole era (it was from a Mickey Spagnola article I think, could be wrong though... Nick or Brian maybe) is that Jerry wanted to take over a clean slate, ie have had Laundry already fired, but H.R. "Bum" Bright didn't have the balls to do it. Then Jerry got made out as the bad guy. Also Jimmy Johnston was at least his third choice as head coach.
Yes Currently reading Boys will be boys:The glory days and party nights of Dallas cowboys. Its all about that era. Really enjoying it so far, and read in that it was a part of the deal that if Jones wanted to buy the cowboys he had to fire Landry. Bright had a serious dislike to him but couldnt sack him because the fans held him in such high esteem. Some great stories about Irvin & Haley also.
Old 20.01.2015, 11:28 PM
Pro

I must read it again - I have it on the book shelf.
Recommend Nick Eatmans book. It is a great read with some great stories from the end of the Triplet era to current day.

Lol... just realised I called him Laundry and not Landry.. Jerry hung him out to try! boom boom