The 2015 New England Patriots Season Thread - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Sponsored Links

Old 01.05.2015, 12:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Inclined to agree, but they got him for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Old 01.05.2015, 02:11 PM
All Pro

love the Malcom Brown pick, the d-line is sorted now...

Hope the next 5 picks which we have across the next 3 rounds give us a LG, CB, WR, RB (who can catch) and a LB who excels in coverage...
Old 02.05.2015, 03:26 AM
All Pro

Like our 2 picks, you can argue about value particularly with Richards, but he seems to be a guy BB really likes, duesouth has him ranked as his number 3 safety and the write-up in his draft guide sounds very promising. Grissom is the versatile player BB likes could play OLB or DE.

The only thing I dislike is we could have picked Jaelen Strong with our 2nd round pick, but there we go.

7 Picks tomorrow, if we take one of Justin Hardy, Jarvis Harrison or Josh Shaw, I'll be very happy, but knowing how BB drafts this probably won't happen!!
Old 02.05.2015, 07:00 AM
All Pro

Not really sure what to make of the Patriots 2nd day haul. I like the trade down from #96 that's for sure, but the two players we picked I'm a bit nonplussed about.

I thought we might take a safety later on in the draft, but definitely not this high since we just signed Chung and McCourty to new deals and still have Harmon on his rookie deal.

Grissom I don't know much about and they seem to like his versatility and athleticism, but I don't really know where they are going to play him and how much he's likely to see the field.

Either way we still need to get interior OL help, a RB, and a WR.
Old 02.05.2015, 08:00 AM
All Pro

Richards seems like a core special teamer to me - might be able to play down in the box a bit, don't put him near coverage. Reading more into him, seems he is extremely smart, so BB will certainly get something out of him. Just annoying, as it was a big reach imo.

Grissom - know nothing about him, barring BB saying he had the best TE workout of the class (which is a major burn to the TE's!!).

The trade - made absolute sense - great value gained.

BB did seem extremely happy in his post draft interview today - and very excited for tomorrow which I am too.

7 picks on Day 3, BB usually does better work on Day 3 than Day 2 to be fair, exciting times.

Think we'll see a RB, OL, WR, CB taken for certain - although the lack of higher interior OL is probably good news for Connolly returning (yes he's not a great player but a solid veteran starter who works well alongside Solder).

Bit "meh" about the Day 2 stuff after the Brown pick was brilliant on Day 1 - looking forward to seeing our haul on Day 3!
Old 02.05.2015, 05:46 PM
All Pro

Round 4 a marked improvement on Rounds 2/3 - Shaq Mason could be a beast
Old 02.05.2015, 08:04 PM
MVP

did any of the mock drafts have long snapper in the 5th round????
Old 02.05.2015, 08:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
did any of the mock drafts have long snapper in the 5th round????
Some might of, but that that had us taking one was the 7 round community mock draft held on this forum. I was the Patriots GM and picked Cardona with our 7th round compensatory pick.
Old 03.05.2015, 06:43 AM
Team Captain

<sarcasm>

Yeah, that's what we needed to light some fires in training camp - another LS and a TE. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Only the 4th LS ever drafted - that says something)

I'm surprised we never drafted a couple of punters and a kicker, to boot.

And where's the QB we so badly needed?

Glad we never drafted a deep-threat WR - we have far too many of them already.

</sarcasm>
Old 03.05.2015, 10:55 AM
All Pro

I'm glad we didn't waste a pick on a deep threat WR - Belichick cannot draft WR, Brady can't throw the deep ball anymore - would've been pointless

As for the actual picks

Malcolm Brown - Love it, along with Chandler Jones and Easley could be our DL for the next 7-10 years.

Jordan Richards - Typical Belichick day 2 reach for a safety. Tavon Wilson 2.0 imo

Geneo Grissom - No idea about him, doesn't seem hugely productive but has some traits that are good

Trey Flowers - Possible Ninkovich replacement in a year or two, good pickup early in the 4th

Tre Jackson and Shaq Mason - loved these two picks - desperately needed guard help, Jackson can probably start right away whereas Mason is a bit more of a project - but both should compete in camp for starting roles. We're putting up 250 yards on the ground against next January

Joe Cardona - the most obvious Belichick pick of all time - not even fussed cos it's funny (he is actually meant to be an incredible long snapper tbf)

Matthew Wells - No idea about him, but he apparently ran a 4.4 40 time, which for a LB is smokin! So probably special teams and a coverage guy

AJ Derby - intriguing prospect, lots of potential certainly at TE - hopefully it'll be the end of Hooman

Daryl Roberts/Xzavier Dickson - Not the foggiest idea who these dudes are!!

Overall - I'm fairly happy, we reached in rounds 2/3, but made up for it with the value we got in round 4. Retooling the defence to make the front seven a lot better is what we needed to do, and am glad we didn't reach for a cornerback once the best ones had gone. Much needed OL help too, it's pretty clear that keeping Brady upright means we'll win more often than not.

Slightly surprised we didn't take a RB - they must like what they saw in camp/practice from James White, and then will give that Gaffney kid a go too.