The Good The Bad and the ESPN 2015 Edition - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Sponsored Links

Old 13.10.2015, 07:07 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Oh and please stop voluntarily putting Marcus Cannon in the game.
I really don't get all this hate on Cannon week after week. For a young player, he's getting better all the time and what I see from him every week he does more good than bad and it's all good experience for him. He is more than capable of coming in and doing his job and spelling Solder and Vollmer keeping them fresher throughout the season for when it matters most. It's not as if he's cost us a game and he gets put in when the coaches think he can contribute and get experience without hurting us too much. Aside from pre-season games and garbage time, I can't see any better way of getting the backup players any pain-time. (hard training - easy war).

Regardless of what D scheme the Cowboys used in the 1st half, Solder looked like an exposed rookie and we're lucky TB never got seriously hurt more than once. We wouldn't expect Cannon to stand up to that sort of edge rush but we're supposed to expect more from Solder - he was (beat)BAD.

When a game like that is so obviously only going one way, its more like time we started keeping Brady, Gronk and Edelman (and others) out of the game - but we all know that's not BB's way as he doesn't believe one player should be 'protected' more than another - but it's time to get over that protected guff and give the backups meaningful reps.

Of course, this is AIMHO - but I'd tell BB to his face!!! (maybe not )
Sponsored Links
Old 13.10.2015, 08:48 PM
All Pro

I can't agree with the pulling guys from the game comment (maybe I am a little harsh on Cannon, but I'd just not rotate our tackles ever tbh).

But I don't think you can just be putting in backups for fear of injury. If injuries happen, they happen and you deal with it. But you can't just be in fear of it.

Only time I ever approve of pulling starters is for kneel downs, and week 17 (if a first round bye is secured).
Old 14.10.2015, 07:39 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Minuteman View Post
I really don't get all this hate on Cannon week after week. For a young player, he's getting better all the time and what I see from him every week he does more good than bad and it's all good experience for him. He is more than capable of coming in and doing his job and spelling Solder and Vollmer keeping them fresher throughout the season for when it matters most. It's not as if he's cost us a game and he gets put in when the coaches think he can contribute and get experience without hurting us too much. Aside from pre-season games and garbage time, I can't see any better way of getting the backup players any pain-time. (hard training - easy war).

Regardless of what D scheme the Cowboys used in the 1st half, Solder looked like an exposed rookie and we're lucky TB never got seriously hurt more than once. We wouldn't expect Cannon to stand up to that sort of edge rush but we're supposed to expect more from Solder - he was (beat)BAD.

When a game like that is so obviously only going one way, its more like time we started keeping Brady, Gronk and Edelman (and others) out of the game - but we all know that's not BB's way as he doesn't believe one player should be 'protected' more than another - but it's time to get over that protected guff and give the backups meaningful reps.

Of course, this is AIMHO - but I'd tell BB to his face!!! (maybe not )
Agree with the comments about Cannon, Solder looked awful on Sunday but you wont play Greg Hardy every week and as much as I hate the guy he was pretty much unstoppable.

Last year against the Colts Cannon was used to help the run game, BB may have been giving him some playing time because he'll use him a lot this week, the Colts D wont be able to handle Lewis or Blount so get as many linemen ready for this week, I think Cannon will be a big contributor Sunday.
Old 14.10.2015, 11:09 AM
MVP

Last year using the extra lineman helped Gray run all over the colts but this year the jumbo tightend package may be what we see more,think we are in 3 or 4 TE formations a bit and how do you defend that if you are the colts.

Think we can run or pass all over the Colts so just hope we get the right game plan.
Old 19.10.2015, 09:06 AM
All Pro

Week 6 - Patriots @ Colts

The Good

-A deflate gate rivalry win
-Special Teams
-Defense holding up well against those receivers on the Colts team despite the rookies and smaller guys
-Chandler Jones
-The next man up mentality of the offensive line
-Ignoring the Gronk so they forget about him then BOOM!!!

The Bad
-Injuries - although we got a win, I'm not sure at what cost it came. Edelman won't be stopped by his hand injury, but it will obviously affect his catching until healed. But the offensive line has no depth left with Cannon now injured! Again, a toe injury hopefully is nothing serious but I think we'll have to scrape the waiver wire barrel for some depth there?

The Ugly
-Ref calls again! That on-side kick was clearly picked up by the Colts!
-Colts trick plays! hahahaha or Fail plays!
Old 19.10.2015, 11:35 AM
All Pro

@ Colts
Good

- Brady on form once again. He is so mobile compared to previous seasons and is making a lot of plays he wouldn't of last season because of it. The INT wasn't his fault.
- Blount was great and even helped out with his first receiving TD since High School. He has played second fiddle to Lewis so far this season, but he's kept his head right and had a big game.
- The pass rush stepped up in the end with Easley and Jones having success, but if it wasn't for their late surge they would of been in the bad. Too often our pass rush comes in surges and then disappears for long stretches.

Bad
- Once again injuries rear their ugly head. This time it was Cannon, Edelman & Slater with Hightower also missing the game after last weeks injury. Will the early bye week haunt us when it comes to injuries? On the bright side we get LaFell, Fletcher & Jones back off of PUP soon.

Ugly
- The Colts trying too hard to be smart. Really though what were they thinking? Love how Pagano was asking why did they snap it as they came off the field, how about asking why you even called such a ridiculous play in the first place.

As an overall I was happy to get the win here even if it wasn't by the huge figures people were projecting during the week. I was expecting a much closer game than in previous encounters and that proved to be the case. Luckily for us our coaching is superior and it showed once again as the halftime adjustments allowed us to get a two possession lead before the Colts got going again.
Old 19.10.2015, 01:10 PM
Starter

The Good:
- Brady. He just found and exploited whatever weakness he saw in the Colts. Very much like he did last week in the second half.
- The patented bend don't break defence. Made plays when we needed to and disrupted big players against a talented receiving corps. Unlucky to come away without an INT.

The Bad.
- Injuries. Seeing Cannon and Sheard leave the game and not come back could bite us in the **** if they're out for any time.

The Ugly.
- Has to be the officials. Looked to me like the Colts came up with the onside kick. (Although I've only seen it in real time) It looked to me that Chandler did nothing wrong on his TD grab just before half time.
Old 20.10.2015, 09:04 AM
Pro

Default Good Bad and Ugly`

Good -
Brady, loving his movement in the pocket this year.
Special Teams
Second half adjustments in regards to the D

Bad -
Logan Ryan - this kid is horrific, he's been a weak link for years and he was getting beat almost every time on Sunday. I have no clue why he was on the roster at the start of the season (should have kept arrington)
Edleman in the first half, couldnt catch a cold (first time i think i would ever put him in this category).

The Ugly - The 4th down play....Well done Chuck! Hahahahaha! Unbelievable!!
Old 20.10.2015, 12:26 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturenton View Post
Good -
Brady, loving his movement in the pocket this year.
Special Teams
Second half adjustments in regards to the D

Bad -
Logan Ryan - this kid is horrific, he's been a weak link for years and he was getting beat almost every time on Sunday. I have no clue why he was on the roster at the start of the season (should have kept arrington)
Edleman in the first half, couldnt catch a cold (first time i think i would ever put him in this category).

The Ugly - The 4th down play....Well done Chuck! Hahahahaha! Unbelievable!!
Edelman in the bad? Really?!

He made some great plays with a broken finger !! , not least the massive play to keep the drive alive when he spun past three defenders for the first down scramble.
Old 20.10.2015, 01:55 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecky_21 View Post
Edelman in the bad? Really?!

He made some great plays with a broken finger !! , not least the massive play to keep the drive alive when he spun past three defenders for the first down scramble.
He had his moments for sure, but you expect Edelman to make a couple plays every week. What you don't expect is 3 drops with one leading to the pick 6. Lets not forget either that the pick 6 put the Colts ahead and got the crowd going for a while. Can't argue with Edelman being in the bad this week.