2016 Patriots Off-Season Thread - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Sponsored Links

Old 25.01.2016, 09:32 AM
All Pro

Default 2016 Patriots Off-Season Thread

Thought I'd start a new thread to turn over a new page after last nights AFC Championship disappointment. This thread is to discuss team needs, free agency, draft prospects & anything in between.

Our Free Agents - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agen...land-patriots/
Mike Reiss Off-Season Primer Article - http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-...this-offseason

Personally I'd like to see us make an effort to retain Hicks if the numbers match up, beyond that though I don't feel that strongly about any of our other free agents and more attention should be paid to the upcoming free agents of next season. I firmly believe Mayo won't be back as a player next season which should give us plenty of cap room. Amendola is a prime candidate to restructure his contract and save us some money as well. I also think LaFell & Chandler are in line to be cut before the start of next season.

As far as team needs go we should look to bring in a difference maker on offence and just build depth throughout the roster after that.
Sponsored Links
Old 25.01.2016, 11:38 AM
Pro Bowler

Shame this thread has started 2 weeks early.
Old 25.01.2016, 12:09 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris caulfield View Post
As far as team needs go we should look to bring in a difference maker on offence and just build depth throughout the roster after that.
We thought we had that in Dion Lewis - but can't guarantee against injuries.

I think offensively we have all the talent we need in the skill positions, it's the OL we need to sort out have some capable depth. We had a couple of tackle dummies going up against Miller last night.
Old 25.01.2016, 12:46 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Minuteman View Post
We thought we had that in Dion Lewis - but can't guarantee against injuries.

I think offensively we have all the talent we need in the skill positions, it's the OL we need to sort out have some capable depth. We had a couple of tackle dummies going up against Miller last night.
Yeah Lewis was a real god send before he went down with his injury. It's tough to predict how good he'll be when he returns next season since players normally take 2 seasons to get fully back from ACL injuries. I really think if Lewis didn't get injured we'd be heading to Santa Clara because while James White was ok at times, he wasn't a patch on Lewis.

The offensive line is troubling me actually, obviously after last nights game the instant reaction is that we need new blood brought in to fill the holes. Then I think about it though and we'll have Solder and Vollmer back as our ever reliable bookends again next season. On the interior we are very young with Mason, Stork, Jackson & Andrews so you'd hope to see some development there. So I think we already have our starting 5 on the roster for next season.

I think where we're really lacking is having another high level threat on the offence. Be that a RB who can make things happen when running up the middle, a TE to compliment Gronk in the way we thought Chandler might, or a legit outside WR who can consistently beat 1 on 1 coverage.
Old 25.01.2016, 12:54 PM
All Pro

Defensively we just need to build depth - especially at linebacker behind Collins and Hightower. Could use another CB too. And resign Hicks hopefully. Starters wise we're set imo, loads of young talent who should only get better!

Offensively as Chris says I actually don't think we need a rehaul on the offensive line. We just need those young interior guys to develop. Oh and can we please get a better backup tackle than Marcus Cannon too

What we do need is a good running back to compliment Lewis/white/Bolden. Blount isn't good enough imo.

We also need to get a second TE, because Scott Chandler has been by far the biggest disappointment of the season.

WR wise I think LaFell was hurt by missing camp and the start of the season - so he should get a chance to prove himself again. We could do with another Edelman/Amendola type imo. Neither of those guys are that durable and we really do miss them when they're out.
We've seen we can't draft deep threat WR's so there's no point trying
Old 25.01.2016, 01:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Defensively we just need to build depth - especially at linebacker behind Collins and Hightower. Could use another CB too. And resign Hicks hopefully. Starters wise we're set imo, loads of young talent who should only get better!

Offensively as Chris says I actually don't think we need a rehaul on the offensive line. We just need those young interior guys to develop. Oh and can we please get a better backup tackle than Marcus Cannon too

What we do need is a good running back to compliment Lewis/white/Bolden. Blount isn't good enough imo.

We also need to get a second TE, because Scott Chandler has been by far the biggest disappointment of the season.

WR wise I think LaFell was hurt by missing camp and the start of the season - so he should get a chance to prove himself again. We could do with another Edelman/Amendola type imo. Neither of those guys are that durable and we really do miss them when they're out.
We've seen we can't draft deep threat WR's so there's no point trying
Couldn't agree more with Chandler, so much potential was touted going into the season and by the end of it he was 3rd on the depth chart below someone who started the season as a backup OT for the Lions.

The annoying part about our WR situation is that we drafted both Dobson and Boyce the season before the most stacked WR class in recent history which was then followed by another pretty solid WR class. Obviously both Dobson and Boyce have disappointed and we're left to look on as guys like Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Martavis Bryant and plenty others tear up the league.

I have a major fear this sort of situation will happen with RB's this season for some reason where we'll take someone who turns out to be lackluster then see the absolutely loaded class of 2017 take the league by storm. Slightly off topic but I am really looking forward to the potential rebirth of the feature back with that draft class. Leonard Fournette, Nick Chubb, Dalvin Cook, James Conner, Royce Freeman, Samaje Perine, Wayne Gallman, Sony Michel, Jalen Hurd & Christian McCaffrey are all top prospects as it stands right now. McCaffrey especially stands out to me as a perfect Patriots player.
Old 25.01.2016, 01:48 PM
MVP

With Chandler and all the big games he had against us for the Bills we maybe expected to much as Gronk was always going to be the #1 tightend but also think he lost a lot of snaps when Belichick used Mike Williams as almost a 6th blocker when the O-line was just injured.

Think we only save about $1m if we cut Chandler so is there that much of a saving,LaFell was a massive let down this year but not sure if the foot he hurt in the off-season really healed but still think we need a bigger body outside like his more than KeShawn Martin who looks like he could replace Amendola if the salary cap issue does not get sorted.

Still think we have a great roster with young cheap cornerbacks who are getting better and one of the best front 7's in the league but now we have to find the cap space to keep them.
Old 25.01.2016, 09:46 PM
All Pro

When was the last time we went into an off season not touting cornerback as a obvious need?

Butler was awesome this year, Ryan really stepped up and this Coleman kid for an UDFA was solid in the slot too. And let's not forget that we drafted that dude Daryl Roberts in the 7th round and according to a lot of guys in camp he was going to start across from Butler, so he obviously has potential to play too.

As I said earlier I'd like to see a veteran added as depth and experience to the group (sometimes I think Butler gets caught cheating a little bit, and Ryan has the odd random awful game), but it's a really promising group of cornerbacks.
Old 25.01.2016, 10:14 PM
MVP

I know its a team game but watching Thomas in the 2 games getting only 3 catches shows that Belichick was right to not over pay for Revis and to move on from Browner and Arrington.

Maybe the hope for 2016 is too see Easley continue to improve and maybe stay healthy for the playoffs.
Old 26.01.2016, 11:05 AM
All Pro

Looks like we've let our offensive line coach go after two years on the job. I can't say it's much of a surprise after what we saw this season. Worried that the loss of Dante Scarnecchia as a coach would hurt us a couple seasons ago, turns out it just took an extra year to come to fruition.

I guess this means Belichick has faith in the talent along the line and sees the problem in the coaching, at least partially. Therefore I wouldn't be expecting wholesale changes across the line.