2018 Season - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 17.09.2018, 10:30 AM
All Pro

Talking 2018 Season

Thought I, d start a new thread om the current season instead of using the offseason one what dya think? Anyway thought I, d start by asking someone to remind me why the JETS released Fitz?
Sponsored Links
Old 22.09.2018, 04:57 PM
All Pro

Think JJ Watt is out of contract after this season? Is it time for the Texans to move on? Looks a shadow of the great player he was
Old 22.09.2018, 06:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Think JJ Watt is out of contract after this season? Is it time for the Texans to move on? Looks a shadow of the great player he was
Injuries have really hampered his last 2 years. Honestly i'd be surprised if he played more than a couple more seasons.
If that were the case, would his resume warrant a gold jacket? I'd say no.
Old 22.09.2018, 07:07 PM
All Pro

Shame his career maybe slowly fizzling out, back issues are not good and I think only 2 mill dead cap nxt yr, think its time for the Texans to release Clowney
Old 22.09.2018, 07:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Watt is under contact till 2021 with a cap number of around $15m till 2020 then $17.5m in 2021.he has no more guaranteed money left on his current deal so the Texans could move on without much cap hell.

the Texans maybe do need to decide on Watt as Clowney will either need a new deal and will have seen Mack/Donald get paid or they will have to maybe let him test free agency.hard to pay them both long term.
Old 22.09.2018, 08:47 PM
MVP

I said a few years ago, when he was at his peak, that JJ Watt was the most overrated player in the NFL. I was shot down in flames for it, but I stand by it. And I'm a big Watt fan, let me be clear and I think he was great. But ultimately the hype he was getting just wasn't worth it for a 3-4 defensive end. The case in point was that he played lights out every single game 4-5 years ago and yet the Texans still went 2-14, losing 14 straight games. He was getting QB-like attention but a lights out QB isn't losing 14 straight games.

Continue that logic onwards, and you have to say that he isn't worth the salary he will be commanding if he is anything other than hall of fame level for the whole season. $13m base salary next season. Clowney is out of contract next season but would probably command similar if brought back. Admittedly the Texans have Watson for cheap for the next few years when other teams have to pay their starting QB a lot more, and the Texans are one of the teams with the most cap space, but when you don't have a stellar running back and your O-line is that poor is it money well spent? Maybe you can justify it for one of Watt and Clowney, but not both, and definitely not if their injuries continue.
Old 23.09.2018, 08:18 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
Injuries have really hampered his last 2 years. Honestly i'd be surprised if he played more than a couple more seasons.
If that were the case, would his resume warrant a gold jacket? I'd say no.
He'd be in Terrell Davis territory, but without the SB rings. Stellar career in a few short years

To be fair he's getting very little help across the Texans front
Old 23.09.2018, 08:20 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thought I, d start a new thread om the current season instead of using the offseason one what dya think? Anyway thought I, d start by asking someone to remind me why the JETS released Fitz?
Fitz's career has followed the same patter. You get a worldy of a game for every 3 error strewn performances. Coaching Staff who rely a large part upon a QB for their job security simply cannot trust him
Old 23.09.2018, 12:24 PM
Pro Bowler

I think its going to be hard to leave Watt out just on the back of his 3XDPoY awards.Longevity is an issue but the numbers he put up in those peak years in terms of sacks,pressures and TFL's make him a lock for me.Lack of postseason success doesn't help but the Texans were rolling out some awful offenses.

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 23.09.2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 23.09.2018, 10:01 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post
I think its going to be hard to leave Watt out just on the back of his 3XDPoY awards.Longevity is an issue but the numbers he put up in those peak years in terms of sacks,pressures and TFL's make him a lock for me.Lack of postseason success doesn't help but the Texans were rolling out some awful offenses.
Plus in America the do-gooder off the field stuff definitely counts for a lot, as does a TV career (does Kurt Warner get in if he's not on NFL Network and instead just sloped off into anonymity? I'm not sure). Watt has been tremendous at the former and I reckon he'll be in demand for TV later too.