NFL names homes teams for 2019 international games - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 03.01.2019, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

The Jaguars are of course due to play at Wembley beyond 2019 so a home game this year vs NY Jets and a game against Houston in 2020 seems very plausible.

I’d agree that Gruden wouldn’t want the Raiders playing a full home schedule in London, even though it would provide a good litmus test for any potential franchise over here. I would also agree that San Diego appear to be favourites to host the Raiders next season. Sam Boyd stadium is a total non starter and I’m not sure the Alomodome and it’s artificial turf is to Mark Davis’ liking either. Arizona could also be in the mix.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.01.2019, 10:15 PM
MVP

I know the thing about Gruden not liking flying is true, because I saw that interview where he was waffling on about Belarus too. But I don't get it. I mean, he's a football coach! He flies all the time. I'd understand it if he were like John Madden and refused to fly at all. But Gruden gets on planes for games all the time.

Take this year. The Raiders flew to Miami (5hrs 25), Baltimore (5 hours), Cincinnati (4hrs 30), Kansas City (3hrs 35). Some years there will be more east coast trips than that too. These are pretty long flights. If Gruden couldn't handle this he would not have taken the job. Are we saying he can manage 5 hours, but not 8? As I've said elsewhere on the forum, if the Raiders were based in London next year they would only have 1 trip to the west coast (Chargers), which could come before/after other road games to break up the journey. I doubt they would hold training camp here, maybe not play preseason games here either. In fact you could even have 4 consecutive home games - it would not be the first time, as Tennessee did this in 2015.
Old 09.01.2019, 03:07 AM
Rookie

Chargers Vs Packers @ Wembley......
Old 09.01.2019, 08:45 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart137 View Post
Chargers Vs Packers @ Wembley......
Be good if it happens.
Old 10.01.2019, 08:47 PM
Pro Bowler

Art Stapleton (NY beat writer) dropped a hint on twitter about Giants @ Buccs in London when citing a 2018 top NFL jersey Uk sales graphic.
OBJ and Saqoun were no.2 and no.3 on the list for 2018.

If this works out, you heard it here first.
If its wrong, i never even mentioned the idea
Old 11.01.2019, 07:39 AM
Team Captain

When I looked at all the potential games I saw we could only be over vs the Bucs and thought "oh there is no hope" Now you have given me some hope!

I have only missed 3 games and was hoping to miss a couple next year, but if its the Giants or any of the three teams that haven't been, I could end up doing them all again!

Either way I cant wait for the announcement!
Old 11.01.2019, 10:04 AM
Pro Bowler

This was his tweet in response to the league's list of the top five selling jersey's in the U.K., so that people can make up their own mind as to whether it was a hint.

"The NFL is gonna put Bucs-Giants in London, aren’t they?"

https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/st...11611467325441
Old 11.01.2019, 04:26 PM
Pro Bowler

I was mentioning it, tongue firmly in cheek.

In all seriousness, if you put aside their divisional games, the Buccs remaining home games are: Cardinals, 49ers, Texans, Colts, Giants.

Either of the Cardinals or 49ers could play an international game in Mexico @ LA Rams. Other LA home games: Seahawks, Saints, Buccs, Ravens, Bengals, Bears.
I dont think the Rams would be overly fussed losing homefield advantageto either of those teams in their current states, or either of those two teams raising their own concerns about travel etc. if the game is in Mexico.
I could see Saints or Bears game being chosen to "make up" for the moved game this year though not the Seahawks. The other 3 would be unfashionable i guess.

Both the Texans and Colts not only play the Jags away but the Chargers too (3/8 chance of playing an international game) and i see either of those teams playing either the Jags or the Chargers as a better match-up than vs the Buccs.

Ergo you can make a reasonable case for the Giants.

If its a Buccs divisional game then id take a punt and say its vs the Panthers, who have never been over and have big enough names with Newton and McCaffrey.
Saints were over in 2017 so unlikely to be back so soon.
Falcons were over in 2014 but, Ryan and Jones aside, are perhaps less of a "draw" for a crowd?

Would like it to be Giants but id definitely put Panthers ahead and as the "favourite"
Old 11.01.2019, 07:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Because of the rule requiring a team to host an international game within five years of being awarded a Super Bowl, Atlanta are due to play one very soon. So that may rule them out of being picked as a road team.

They were awarded SB LIII in spring 2016. Assuming that season did not count, as it was too late to schedule one, that means it needs to be played between 2017 and 2021.

According to Alistair Kirkwood, home teams can veto divisional games and protect one other. I would have expected the Giants would be the game Tampa Bay would protect, as with all their attendance problems the transplanted population means they should still be able to sell that one out.

To me the Bucs seem to offer a good opportunity to bring Houston to the U.K. The Jaguars are able to veto them as a divisional opponent, and I would be shocked if the league do not do everything they can to use the Chargers game to haver Green Bay play here. They will never have a better opportunity to do so.

As seen by some of the past offerings, quality of matchup does not matter that much to the league whilst they know the games will sell out anyway. And the possibility of a team making their first visit to the U.K. makes a game marketable in its own right.

I would not rule out the Giants, but I would think the league would go after the Texans even if it were not protected.
Old 11.01.2019, 09:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
I was mentioning it, tongue firmly in cheek.

In all seriousness, if you put aside their divisional games, the Buccs remaining home games are: Cardinals, 49ers, Texans, Colts, Giants.
Yeah but that's a pretty lame division rivalry wise, and especially Bucs-wise, so they could easily put a division game in London. Saints-Falcons is the only truly big rivalry in that division. I could definitely see Bucs-Panthers being selected. Some divisions have storied rivalries, others (mostly the two South divisions) much less so.