AFC Championship. Patriots @ Chiefs. - Page 7 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Sponsored Links

Old 23.01.2019, 01:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Kohoutova View Post
I wonder is it 50-50? I'd say most 'coin flippers' default to looking at 'heads', when they flip a coin. I know I can catch a coin flip, and deliver an expected result 8or9 times out of 10. Letting the coin hit the ground adds a spanner to the works admittedly, but are there any studies out there that have proven conclusively that coin flips are not impacted by which side is 'up' as you flip? As Brady said post match, 'heads was the call', which was an ominous enough observation in my opinion !
https://www.printyourbrackets.com/su...s-results.html

This shows who won the toss at each Super Bowl and whether it was heads or tails. But doesn't show who called it. Actually in the last 20 years or so it seems you were better off losing the toss.
Sponsored Links
Old 23.01.2019, 01:17 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
https://www.printyourbrackets.com/su...s-results.html

This shows who won the toss at each Super Bowl and whether it was heads or tails. But doesn't show who called it. Actually in the last 20 years or so it seems you were better off losing the toss.
The visiting team alternates each year - NFC in even numbered years, AFC in odd numbered years.
Old 23.01.2019, 05:23 PM
Rookie

The coin toss did not decide this game. The chiefs had the game won but Ford clearly lined up offside. The chiefs d allowed Brady to shred them on 3 straight drives including not being able to get off the field on numerous 3rd downs! If you look at time of possession, yards, and first downs, this game should never have even got to overtime. Hill had 1 catch, Kelce had under 30 yards receiving and the pats had 1 negative play all day, the kneel down to take the game to overtime.

The overtime rule is very simple. You need to also play defence to win a game. Worked fine for the rams. This is why it's a team game. Im sure no one would have moaned if the pats would have lost without touching the ball in OT!
Old 23.01.2019, 06:16 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Kohoutova View Post
I wonder is it 50-50? I'd say most 'coin flippers' default to looking at 'heads', when they flip a coin. I know I can catch a coin flip, and deliver an expected result 8or9 times out of 10. Letting the coin hit the ground adds a spanner to the works admittedly, but are there any studies out there that have proven conclusively that coin flips are not impacted by which side is 'up' as you flip? As Brady said post match, 'heads was the call', which was an ominous enough observation in my opinion !
think Slater was 3-6 this year in coin flips before the overtime flip.we actually lost the coin flip to start the game(Chiefs deferred) so it is just the most random thing.
Old 23.01.2019, 06:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
I don't see what calling the toss has to do with it. It's 50-50.
was more along the lines that the Chiefs knew that we had choice to call so playing for the tie with the FG with 12 seconds left rather than giving Mahomes 1 more chance(think he threw the 1st down away and it took around 9 seconds) meant that we could call right and control the game.
Old 23.01.2019, 06:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
its funny how narratives can change so quickly, Brady threw a game killing pick and got lucky that Ford made a basic error and the already had 2 picks on the day with one on the goal line.

but he got that massive break and when on to be excellent, he went from goat to GOAT.

if he wins the SB it pretty much kills the GOAT conversation once and for all.

Bill is the key factor in the Pats success but Brady executes it at an elite level.
sometimes even the best need a little help,could have easily had a 3 INT game but two would have been on balls that Edelman/Gronk let slip through there hands.glad they got that out of there system,amazing watching the highlights on BBC again last night and seeing how hard the big catches down the stretch where.

Gronk has had a very average season plagued by injury but he seems to be almost back to playing at the All-pro level in the play-offs and it makes all the difference.
Old 23.01.2019, 06:36 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsy1985 View Post
The coin toss did not decide this game. The chiefs had the game won but Ford clearly lined up offside. The chiefs d allowed Brady to shred them on 3 straight drives including not being able to get off the field on numerous 3rd downs! If you look at time of possession, yards, and first downs, this game should never have even got to overtime. Hill had 1 catch, Kelce had under 30 yards receiving and the pats had 1 negative play all day, the kneel down to take the game to overtime.

The overtime rule is very simple. You need to also play defence to win a game. Worked fine for the rams. This is why it's a team game. Im sure no one would have moaned if the pats would have lost without touching the ball in OT!

but you didnt need to play D did you?
you got to play O and that was it.

the coin toss was a key factor, sure you still had to go down and score but you got the extra possession, pretty sure teams value such things.

i dont like the rule, stated it before you won and have stated it in the past.
i dont even like it in the regular season let alone the playoffs.
Old 23.01.2019, 10:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsy1985 View Post

Completely disagree. Mahomes marched down the field in 37 seconds or something to end the game and the Chiefs scored 24 4th-quarter points. You say you need to play defense. So how good was your team's defense in the fourth quarter?

Yes, the Chiefs could have won the game in regulation, as could the Patriots. But when neither defense was stopping the other by that stage in the game, winning the coin toss in a system where a first-possession TD ends the game was absolutely critical. It would be like having a penalty shootout in soccer but saying the first goal wins. You'd want to make sure you won that toss and kicked first! If the Patriots had won the toss, chosen to go first, gone down and scored that TD and then the Chiefs got the ball and the Pats' D stopped them, that would be far more satisfactory.

Last edited by European Bob; 23.01.2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 23.01.2019, 11:05 PM
MVP

Here's another way to look at the current rule. If the team who had the first possession failed to score for whatever reason, would you feel comfortable stopping the game at that point and just declaring the other side the winner?

It sounds ridiculous doesn't it - they didn't score, so you win without having to prove yourselves. But that is exactly what we have now, you just invert offense and defense. In the above scenario, you say a team's defense proved itself so the offense doesn't need to bother. With existing NFL rules you say the offense proved itself so the defense doesn't need to bother.
Old 24.01.2019, 10:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Here's another way to look at the current rule. If the team who had the first possession failed to score for whatever reason, would you feel comfortable stopping the game at that point and just declaring the other side the winner?

It sounds ridiculous doesn't it - they didn't score, so you win without having to prove yourselves. But that is exactly what we have now, you just invert offense and defense. In the above scenario, you say a team's defense proved itself so the offense doesn't need to bother. With existing NFL rules you say the offense proved itself so the defense doesn't need to bother.
Well you actually need to score points to win games and you do realise you can score on defence?! The pats shut out the chiefs in the first half and whilst there is an advantage to having the ball, it doesn't mean the first team to possess will always win. Both championship games went to OT. One team scored a TD on their first possession and the other threw a pick. I don't see anyone moaning about the rams winning by kicking a field goal. Shouldn't they have to score a TD as well or should the saints have a chance to respond? If you can't play defence then you won't win a game. The only way to get away from this scenario would be to play another 10 or 15 minute period to its conclusion but then people would still find reasons to moan! The pats controlled the time of possession and I ultimately think that is what killed the chiefs (along with staying in cover 2) as their D was gassed on the OT drive but this is the disadvantage to having a quick scoring offence. Chiefs will come again and if they can keep this group together, they will make it to the superbowl very soon.