........Dallas Cowboys thread - Page 102 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 25.01.2008, 05:50 AM
All Pro

Default How did you become a Cowboys fan?

THIS IS A REPOST AS I CANT FIND ANYWHERE BETTER TO PUT IT.
Would like to here your stories.

I come from Tipperary, Ireland but my elder cousin went to Baylor University, and was a avid bodybuilder and trained with Mike Singletary, and while they werent exactly good friends, on his return to Ireland, he had various pictures of the them training together, and a signed Bears jersey (from the 82 season I think?)

So he became a Bears fan and I (being about 6 at the time, and idolising my travelling cousin) just became a fan of the sport.

Mostly we watched video's that were sent to us of highlights and the Bears full games.

But in 1985, the Cowboys had a phenomenal season of games, not to say that they played well, but that every game was a good one to watch, in highlight.

So much so that I proudly declared in my childish superiority that Dallas would win and score 'lots of points' in their week 11 encounter with my cousins beloved Bears, who by this time were boringly winning every week.

The Bears won 44-0. and I was gutted.
It was the first time I actually cared about a team.

At the end of the game, I defiantly stated, 'the Bears were really lucky' and 'Dallas will be better next week.'

And so the addiction began.

Next week brought victory against Philly, followed by more glory in week 13 with a win against st louis AND a Miami upset for the Bears.

Now I was happy at a rival teams demise.

The addiction was in control.

My gloating introduced me to the theory of bad kharma, when the Cowboys lost to Cincinatti 50-24 the following week.

And yet Dallas rallied to make the play-offs, which I felt was the first step to defeating the Bears and going to the superbowl.

Unfortunately the 'Boys triped over LA Rams 20-0, who then to add insult to injury lost 24-0 to the god damn Bears!

Wait 'til next year I decreed.

Next year WE (yes it was definetly a WE thing now) went 6-2, a great start and the play-offs beckoned again.
However in the last eight games we went 1-7, finishing the season 7-9

It was 6 years of heartache before I witnessed a 'good' season again. Including a Dolphin-like 1-15 season in '89.

And I still feel like a kid watching the 'Boys to this day.
Sponsored Links
Old 25.01.2008, 08:01 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Re:........Dallas Cowboys thread

some celeb news for you. apparently romo and simpson have broken up. your opinions? good or just couldn't care less?
Old 26.01.2008, 09:55 AM
Hall of Fame

Obviously Simpson was under the pay of a cartel of NFC teams to mess up Romo until Dallas were eliminated from the playoffs.
Old 02.02.2008, 12:52 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to bigdewgo

Hey Guys Sorry i aint posted much , ive been drowning my sorrows :P

shame we couldnt keep it going into the giants game, and beat them. sod law beat them 2 times and lose the 3rd. like said before i belive we really need a new rb. and with the browns having a good season it gives us a 22 and 28. i read somewhere that JerryJones may strike a deal with the dolphins for their #1 pick, by offering MBIII. although a great player last season , we will be able to bring in d mcfadden. wats every1 elses opinions ???

Old 03.02.2008, 09:18 AM
All Pro

[quote author=bigdewgo link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=1005#msg840030 date=1201956738]
Hey Guys Sorry i aint posted much , ive been drowning my sorrows :P

shame we couldnt keep it going into the giants game, and beat them. sod law beat them 2 times and lose the 3rd. like said before i belive we really need a new rb. and with the browns having a good season it gives us a 22 and 28. i read somewhere that JerryJones may strike a deal with the dolphins for their #1 pick, by offering MBIII. although a great player last season , we will be able to bring in d mcfadden. wats every1 elses opinions ???

[/quote]
Now then jase not seen you about bud, you know my thoughts, get mcfadden, but couldn't we do it with julius instead of MBIII, and our 2 picks ? wouldn't that be enough for the fins ?
Old 03.02.2008, 04:23 PM
Team Captain

If it was a straight swap, Barber for the Dolphins #1 pick, it may, just may be worth a deal.

Bear in mind the amount of cash it would take to sign a #1 in the draft, would take up much of our spare cash, and would probably mean that we end up losing Hamlin, "False Start" Flo, and others.

All this for an unproven (in NFL terms) RB.
I know it's unlikely, but McFadden could be a bust in the NFL.

I'd rather see us get in the real Roy Williams (I think that Glenn's days are numbered), and then draft a RB and CB who can be effective in year 1.
Old 03.02.2008, 05:31 PM
Rookie

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K2triiYXSY8

this should bring a smile to all your faces! ;D
Old 03.02.2008, 11:44 PM
All Pro

[quote author=bigbluewreck link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=1005#msg840673 date=1202059872]
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K2triiYXSY8

this should bring a smile to all your faces! ;D
[/quote]
that was **** funny especially the hes not even peyton bit class
Old 20.02.2008, 01:16 PM
All Pro

Cowboy Hitler?

VVV Funny even though we lost.

I love the bit where he says:

"We lost to the Eagles. We never lose to the f**ing Eagles!"

LMAO!
Old 20.02.2008, 01:22 PM
All Pro

Default Re:How did you become a Cowboys fan?

[quote author=South London Sooner link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=1005#msg835130 date=1201240245]
So much so that I proudly declared in my childish superiority that Dallas would win and score 'lots of points' in their week 11 encounter with my cousins beloved Bears, who by this time were boringly winning every week.

The Bears won 44-0. and I was gutted.
It was the first time I actually cared about a team.

At the end of the game, I defiantly stated, 'the Bears were really lucky' and 'Dallas will be better next week.'[/quote]

The Bear's D carved up our O like a Thanksgiving turkey and virtually killed Danny White and Gary Hogeboom. Didn't Steve Pelleur end up finishing that game?
Quote:

And yet Dallas rallied to make the play-offs, which I felt was the first step to defeating the Bears and going to the superbowl.

Unfortunately the 'Boys triped over LA Rams 20-0, who then to add insult to injury lost 24-0 to the god damn Bears!
I sat on the stairs and cried after we lost to the Rams (I was only 9!)

I was addicted from the previous season when I saw the Boys play Miami on Channel 4 over here (the first game I ever saw).

Every season is a heart-in-mouth rollercoaster ride supporting the Cowboys, and never, ever dull!

"Addict" probably doesn't even do how I feel justice! ;D

Tell me again, when does the new season start? I'm picking over the scraps that are free agency and the draft until then!