New York Jets Thread - Page 13 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 24.04.2005, 07:13 PM
MVP

Default Re:New York Jets Thread

i dont like tounge either,him and Buckley were a weak link in our secondery last year.

Cedric Houston(tennessee) in the 6th,nice depth there.ed thinks he is a steal so thats a good sign

Pros: Has plenty of talent, good size and speed, but hasn't performed up to what he should be capable of.
Cons: Has never been able to stay healthy, hasn't been an every-down back.

Sponsored Links
Old 24.04.2005, 07:49 PM
MVP

TE Joel Dreessen in the 6th as well.This looks like a steal,he was expectedto go in the 3rd or 4th round.

Joel Dreessen

Position:
TE

College:
Colorado State

HEIGHT 6'4"
WEIGHT 260
40 TIME 4.79

Pros: Has good size and speed, works hard to finish his blocks. Is a solid receiving threat, improving in all aspects of his game.

Cons: Needs to keep improving all-around, doesn't have the polish some of the others ahead of him do.
Old 24.04.2005, 08:09 PM
All Pro

Could well be a steal - according to NFL.com he is also a great long snapper. This could mean that James Dearth is out, which is a shame for him, but means the Jets won't be effectively wasting a roster spot just for a long snapper. Dearth does nothing else, while Dreessen has real potential as a TE. Looks like another great job by Bradway!

Dearth will be picked up by someone else, he's that good.
Old 24.04.2005, 10:53 PM
MVP

Dearth is good,and i'd like to keep him if possible.Considering Dinger prefers H-back types to fullbacks,i'd cut BJ askew and keep dearth,we dont really need two FBs anymore.

I dont think we've had a bad snap from dearth ever.Who knows if Dressen will be as good Dearth.one bad snap did end the giants season a couple of years ago.
Old 25.04.2005, 08:00 AM
All Pro

Here's an article you may have already read (sorry if you have), but it sums up the life of a long-snapper and is, I think, one of the best things I've read on football. It was written after the Jets-Raiders regular season game of the 2001 season, the one the Jets had to win to make the playoffs...

01/07/02

BY MIKE VACCARO
STAR-LEDGER STAFF

OAKLAND, Calif. -- As soon as the ball left his hand, James Dearth was certain of but one thing.

He had just lost the game.

He had just blown the playoffs.

He had a perfect view of this godawful gaffe, too: Upside down, through his legs, the football skimming across the mushy grass at Network Associates Coliseum. Yes, James Dearth is a long snapper. Members of the witness protection program have higher public profiles than long snappers.

"Unless we screw up," Dearth said. "And I'd just screwed up big."

Of course he had. Seven months of work, 16 weeks of effort, had been reduced to this: a 53-yard field goal attempt by John Hall. The Jets' season had been leaking drip by drip across three nerve-splaying hours. Now there were 59 seconds left. They trailed the Oakland Raiders by one point. If it ended that way, so would their season.

And now the ball was skipping along the ground.

"Noooooooo!" Dearth screamed, as he turned his attention to an onrushing pile of Raiders defenders, knowing he'd just ruined everything.

"Oh, my God!" wailed Kevin Swayne, the Jets receiver, who was one of a minority of Jets standing on the sideline who chose to watch the play all the way through. Most of the others had closed their eyes, whispering silent prayer. Swayne didn't want to rely on the murmurings of 62,011 spectators. Now, he'd wished he had.

"On a field goal that long," he would say, "everything has to be just right. That's the wrong way to start. Or at least I thought so"

Tom Tupa knew so.

Tupa has been in the NFL for 13 years, mostly as a punter, and he has endured his share of jokes, because that's part of the job description when you make your living with your leg. Many's the time he had had to stifle a chuckle when a lineman with a gut spilling down to his knees has accused him of not being an athlete.

"No kicker's ever heard that from me," Jets nose tackle Steve Martin lied through a laugh.

Tupa moonlights as the Jets' holder on place-kicks, and the moment Dearth sent the ball his way, he knew his job had just gotten much more difficult. A holder doesn't ask for much: deliver the ball chest-high, give him the necessary half-second to spin the laces away from his partner's line of sight.

"We snap the ball a thousand times a week in practice," Tupa would say. "And not all of them are perfect. That's why you practice."

So Tupa didn't worry, which was a good thing, because there was no time to think, less time to panic. Instinct took over: Smother the ball. Pick it up. Spin. Get your other hand out of the way. Total time: maybe three-quarters of a second. Not bad for a non-athlete.

Now here came John Hall.

"Knock this sucker through," was all he was thinking.

Actually, that's not true, though that's the version he tried to sell at first. A year ago, Hall had yanked a last-second field goal wide against the Lions in Week 15, a misstep that certainly helped keep the Jets out of the playoffs. Such was the grievous extent of his crime that Al Groh kept him home the next week, when the Jets played at Baltimore.

Hall spent that afternoon playing basketball by the beach in Point Lookout, N.Y. And has spent the past year pleading for a chance to get even.

"It wasn't the only thing that I thought about in my life," he would later concede, "but it did motivate the heck out of me. I wanted another crack at it."

And he wasn't going to wait to be told, either. The Jets last drive of a nearly lost season stalled at the Raider 35. It was fourth-and-6. The Coliseum was howling, baying, drooling. Herman Edwards could have opted to go for the first down. Fifty-three yards is no lay-up, especially for a kicker with baggage.

Only, Hall didn't wait for his coach to tell him to go. He just went. "It's fourth down," Hall said with a straight face. "What else am I supposed to do? You have to go for the field goal."

Now everything was on his foot. Somehow, the ball was in place, the laces turned obediently toward the goal post. Eleven men in black were bearing in on him, but Hall didn't notice, same as he hadn't noticed the poor snap. He never even paused for a half-heartbeat. Here came his leg.

And there went the ball.

Vinny Testaverde, the quarterback, dropped to a knee and waited. Edwards, the coach, never changed expression. Swayne said, "God-oh-God-oh-God-oh ...", Martin opened one eye, to make sure he picked up the flight of the ball, and Marvin Jones listened to the crowd, silence for good news, a roar for terrible news. Upstairs, owner Woody Johnson said, "That's got a chance," in a voice barely higher than a whisper, and general manager Terry Bradway murmured, "Get there!"

On the field, in the middle of the muck, James Dearth said, "Please."

Behind him, Tom Tupa didn't bother to wait before slapping John Hall on the head. He knew the score before the scoreboard did: Jets 24, Raiders 22.

"When he gets it right," Tupa said, "the ball makes a beautiful little sound."

The others waited, waited to watch the ball sail through the uprights, waited to hear the silence cover the Coliseum like a shroud. Edwards tried to warn them that there was still a minute to play in the game, but even the Jets' most tortured fans had to believe there was no way they were going to ruin this ending.

"Thank you," Kevin Swayne yelled when he ran onto the field, bypassing Hall in order to embrace Tupa.

"Thank you," Testaverde said to Hall, giving him a bear hug.

"Thank you," James Dearth said, to no one in particular, before collapsing on the bench. Anonymous again. Blissfully so.
Old 26.04.2005, 12:14 PM
All Pro

Josh Evans is considering retirement, which would be a shame because I like him a lot when he's on the field. The story was reported in the New York Daily News:

Backup DT Josh Evans, 32, who re-signed with the Jets a few weeks ago, is strongly considering retirement, according to two people familiar with his thinking. Evans' surgically repaired back, which caused him to miss virtually the entire 2004 season, is giving him trouble, one person said.

Evans' uncertainty prompted the club to re-sign backup DT James Reed, who appeared out of their plans until a week ago. The Jets also drafted Utah's Sione Pouha in the third round. . .
Old 26.04.2005, 03:12 PM
MVP

its always a shame when a player has to retire because of injury.But evans wasn't exactly young.I would rather keep harper or reed over evans.
Old 27.04.2005, 06:17 PM
MVP

Click this link to a see an interview with jets special teams Coach Mike westhoff from NFL network.

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/ope...ntextwidth=417
Old 27.04.2005, 08:10 PM
All Pro

Westhoff is an interesting guy and that was a great interview.

I would pay just about anything for NFL Network. And if you threw in Sunday Ticket I would pay anything.
Old 27.04.2005, 10:37 PM
MVP

if you have a fast conection,i recomend NFL field pass (costs about 15 to 20 quid).You basicly get to watch NFL total access every day during the regular season.