New York Jets Thread - Page 503 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 22.04.2013, 02:20 PM
MVP

This was only needed because the organisation is in such a mess.

I keep reading the deal makes sense... It makes sense within the bigger picture and that itself is sad. We have been so badly run we cant afford to keep him and we have failed to create an enviroment that he wants to stay in.

Better players than him have reworked deals at other teams to stay involved.

Two first round draft picks is exciting but we have made such a hash of everything in last few years I have no faith.

We have broke ourselves down completely to rebuild... all except one role... I do wonder what will happen at QB.

This is an awful move for the Jets just like it would have been for ANY team however I know it needed to be made. Just dont like the fact any positive spin is being put on this.

To me its a perfect tiny summary of the mess we are in.

Three years ago we were "close" to the big one... No we are miles off it.

As obvious as this was that it was happening and long term may help us rebuild the fact we need to drastically rebuild is in itself not good.

No draft pick can fix that.
Sponsored Links
Old 22.04.2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
This was only needed because the organisation is in such a mess.

I keep reading the deal makes sense... It makes sense within the bigger picture and that itself is sad. We have been so badly run we cant afford to keep him and we have failed to create an enviroment that he wants to stay in.

Better players than him have reworked deals at other teams to stay involved.

Two first round draft picks is exciting but we have made such a hash of everything in last few years I have no faith.

We have broke ourselves down completely to rebuild... all except one role... I do wonder what will happen at QB.

This is an awful move for the Jets just like it would have been for ANY team however I know it needed to be made. Just dont like the fact any positive spin is being put on this.

To me its a perfect tiny summary of the mess we are in.

Three years ago we were "close" to the big one... No we are miles off it.

As obvious as this was that it was happening and long term may help us rebuild the fact we need to drastically rebuild is in itself not good.

No draft pick can fix that.
Yeah, it's never a good thing to lose a potential future HOFer, and I'm as sad as anyone to see Revis go. However, the extra Draft picks and cap room (as of next year) give us the opportunity to build a team that can contend over a number of years, which is much better than the short-sighted approach we adopted previously. Great though those two straight Championship Game appearances were, it was (in hindsight) always going to end in tears if we couldn't get that early Superbowl win.

I have been very impressed with how Idzik has gone about repairing the mess he inherited so far. This season will obviously be painful but hopefully we can get some impact players in the Draft, before putting that extra cap room to good use in 2014 (i.e bringing in quality Free Agents without spending stupid money like Tanny did) to get us back in contention.

I share your concern over the QB position. My confidence in Sanchez has diminished rapidly but I have no interest in us taking one of this year's underwhelming Draft class. I've thought all along that we need to focus on the supporting cast this year, give whoever is our starting QB an Offense worthy of the name, then bring in a QB next year if they don't get the job done...
Old 22.04.2013, 09:42 PM
Team Captain

It`s still all a bit dizzy but I offer we are all singing from the same hymn sheet here having read the posts,
and If it makes sense saying "1 step back for 2 steps forward" then you can be sure Idzy knows EXACTLY what he wants out of radio city this Thursday!
because although it was all about R$vis and the dough, their was only 1 team in the bid so if it`s good business to trade away your best to instantly affix the woeful Tanny blunders that we were drowing in by avoiding a crazy cap hit & gaining that 13th overall then we have to be ok with it? as much as Wannstedt & Schiano are?
We can talk about this till the cows come home but Revis has been holding us to ransom for a while with the crazy Williams/Johnson figure demands so I for one agree that although you pay your best, we were/are in no position for silly money for an individual DB coming off a 7mnth ACL with a franchise creaking under multiple needs with no legitimate proven leader on the field.
It`s a huge kick in the goolies but Ammo`s plentiful to trade up for instant 24 replacement with Millinar on Thursday to instantly go some way to rekindle our biggest loss?
If you really did want to stay at Florham park DR, could you have proved that by relenting on your demands somewhat given the TEAMS circumstances?
The tough season may well be tougher but we will be ok with this now front office has a very smart man who knows football opposed to one who simply gambled with figures and put us in jeopardy.
In the Jets Hunter green we trust always
Old 22.04.2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSE View Post
It`s still all a bit dizzy but I offer we are all singing from the same hymn sheet here having read the posts,
and If it makes sense saying "1 step back for 2 steps forward" then you can be sure Idzy knows EXACTLY what he wants out of radio city this Thursday!
because although it was all about R$vis and the dough, their was only 1 team in the bid so if it`s good business to trade away your best to instantly affix the woeful Tanny blunders that we were drowing in by avoiding a crazy cap hit & gaining that 13th overall then we have to be ok with it? as much as Wannstedt & Schiano are?
We can talk about this till the cows come home but Revis has been holding us to ransom for a while with the crazy Williams/Johnson figure demands so I for one agree that although you pay your best, we were/are in no position for silly money for an individual DB coming off a 7mnth ACL with a franchise creaking under multiple needs with no legitimate proven leader on the field.
It`s a huge kick in the goolies but Ammo`s plentiful to trade up for instant 24 replacement with Millinar on Thursday to instantly go some way to rekindle our biggest loss?
If you really did want to stay at Florham park DR, could you have proved that by relenting on your demands somewhat given the TEAMS circumstances?
The tough season may well be tougher but we will be ok with this now front office has a very smart man who knows football opposed to one who simply gambled with figures and put us in jeopardy.
In the Jets Hunter green we trust always
Agree with most of this but in no way do I want us to trade up. Our pass D was second in the league last season without Revis. We need depth at the position without a doubt, and this is a deep Draft class for CB's, but I don't see the point in trading up when we have much bigger needs on both sides of the ball.

I still think we take a pass rusher at #9 and trade down from #13 for a couple more picks tbh. If we stay put, we could go pass rusher and someone like Tavon Austin (or a Guard). Or go Offense mad and take a WR and Tyler Eifert...
Old 23.04.2013, 08:20 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Agree with most of this but in no way do I want us to trade up. Our pass D was second in the league last season without Revis. We need depth at the position without a doubt, and this is a deep Draft class for CB's, but I don't see the point in trading up when we have much bigger needs on both sides of the ball.

I still think we take a pass rusher at #9 and trade down from #13 for a couple more picks tbh. If we stay put, we could go pass rusher and someone like Tavon Austin (or a Guard). Or go Offense mad and take a WR and Tyler Eifert...
TBH if we could trade down both I would. Imagine the Vikes 23 & 25 for the 9 and the Niners 31 & 34 (maybe with one of their thirds thrown in) for the 13. 5 picks in the top 40. That could fill a lot of holes, especially as the star quality isn't really there in this draft.
Old 23.04.2013, 04:07 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
I hope we don`t trade up! But if Millinar falls at 9 (unlikely/already gone?) I just feel that any "anti-revis-trade" sentiment may sway us to take him although it makes little sense as a proven PR (the much vaunted mingo) would help a certain Kyle Wilson thus no immediate rush into a Revis replacement.
but as the last 2 posts (wayne e & jetupgo) say, this draft looks to have little in the way of huge talent difference so I`d be absolutely thrilled to trade away 9 AND 13 for more later round picks!
If we have 8 I`ll be happy but 9 or more will see us well on our way to patching up the post-tanny depleted roster.
One things certain - This is a fascinating Draft for us this year, as long as we dont end up with any "Ghosts"?
I just read that courtesy off tannenbaum we only had 16 picks in 6 years between the 1st & 4th rounds!!!! which should never have been allowed to happen to any franchise?
Old 24.04.2013, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

My latest thinking is trade down from #9 (maybe for the Rams pick at #16), take Jarvis Jones at #13, Tyler Eifert with our second 1st rounder and gain an extra pick or two by trading down. Would be quite surprised if we stayed put with both picks tbh...
Old 24.04.2013, 02:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
My latest thinking is trade down from #9 (maybe for the Rams pick at #16), take Jarvis Jones at #13, Tyler Eifert with our second 1st rounder and gain an extra pick or two by trading down. Would be quite surprised if we stayed put with both picks tbh...
Yeah the double pick gives us a good position to trade down from. Of course with the nature of the draft this year a lot of teams will interested in moving down, but who will want to move up? The 9ers - who have more picks than spaces available - might make good partners, but the recurring theme about this draft is its lack of elite talent.

The rebuilding thing means we might be more interested in having picks next year rather than this year.

I feel like Tyler Eifert is the only 'game changer' on offence in this draft, so I'd be delighted with him. The Revis trade means our need to generate pass rush is more acute than ever before, and of course we need another CB now as well. I like the sound of your strategy.
Old 24.04.2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocheb73 View Post
Yeah the double pick gives us a good position to trade down from. Of course with the nature of the draft this year a lot of teams will interested in moving down, but who will want to move up? The 9ers - who have more picks than spaces available - might make good partners, but the recurring theme about this draft is its lack of elite talent.

The rebuilding thing means we might be more interested in having picks next year rather than this year.

I feel like Tyler Eifert is the only 'game changer' on offence in this draft, so I'd be delighted with him. The Revis trade means our need to generate pass rush is more acute than ever before, and of course we need another CB now as well. I like the sound of your strategy.
This Draft has a deep CB class, we could find a decent prospect in the third or fourth round. Cromartie and Wilson are a solid starting pair, I know Wilson hasn't really looked like a first rounder yet but he's a decent enough second CB. If we can get someone like Robert Alford in the third round, he would be a good Nickel CB who could perhaps push Wilson for his starting spot down the line.
Old 24.04.2013, 02:31 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
This Draft has a deep CB class, we could find a decent prospect in the third or fourth round. Cromartie and Wilson are a solid starting pair, I know Wilson hasn't really looked like a first rounder yet but he's a decent enough second CB. If we can get someone like Robert Alford in the third round, he would be a good Nickel CB who could perhaps push Wilson for his starting spot down the line.
And he can return kicks so we can get rid of Joe McKnight.